Thread: Fall Classic

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fall Classic

Ahhh, baseball. It’s that time of year again, time for the fall classic. What follows is an excerpt from “The Thinking Fan’s Guide To Baseball” by Leonard Koppett. Enjoy.

‘Fear.

Fear is the fundamental factor in hitting, and hitting the ball with the bat is the fundamental act of baseball.

The fear is simple and instinctive. If a baseball, thrown hard, hits any part of your body, it hurts. If it hits certain vulnerable areas, like elbows, wrists, or face, it can cause broken bones and other serious injuries. If it hits a particular area of an unprotected head, it can kill.

A thrown baseball, in short, is a missile and an approaching missile generates a reflexive action: Get out of the way.

The act of hitting encompasses what seems like an emotional contradiction (which is not so unusual, psychologists tell us). It is simultaneously pleasurable and dangerous. The batter’s primary desire is to hit the ball as hard as he can, and this requires “stepping into” the approaching ball with the rear foot very firmly planted. But self-preservation demands that the body move away from a ball that is going to hit it, or that seems to be going to hit it.

This interplay between executing a productive swing and resisting the built-in desire to dodge is the reality of every time at bat.

And the tactical consequence is, at bottom, rudimentary: Throw close, and drive the batter back; then throw over the outside part of the plate. Then, if you can alternate pitches that seem to be headed for the batter but aren’t (curves) with pitches that have a straighter trajectory, you can keep the batter off balance most of the time.

But if it all begins with fear, it doesn’t end there. That is merely the beginning.

The second fundamental fact about hitting is so self-evident that it is mentioned only as a cliché, when clichés are being derided. It’s a round ball and a round bat.

Yet this unique problem in physics is what gives baseball its particular character. It doesn’t come up in any other widely played game.

In all the tennis-family games (including squash and even handball), a moving ball is struck by some flat surface that is large in relation to the ball. In hockey, a sliding or rolling disk is hit or guided by a flat blade. A cricket ball has three plane surfaces (and the ball may be hit in any direction). In golf, the striking surface is flat and, what’s more, the ball is stationary. Even in billiards (where balls are stationary), the striking tip of the cue is relatively flat.

In all these other games, therefore, the margin for error is much greater than in baseball. A hockey or tennis shot can be reasonably effective even if the point of contact is not quite centered on the blade. But to hit a baseball into fair territory, hard enough to have any reasonable chance of the ball falling safe, one must connect almost perfectly. A line drive can result only if the line from the center of the ball through the point of contact to the center of the bat cylinder is practically straight. The height of the area in which the bat and ball can meet squarely is something less than half an inch.

Consider the dimensions: A baseball’s diameter is 2.868 inches; the bat’s diameter, as its fattest part, cannot exceed 2.75 inches. A major-league fastball can approach 100 miles an hour, which means that the distance from the pitcher’s hand to home plate (less than 60 feet, since the ball is released in front of the rubber) is covered in something less than half a second.

To hit the ball, of course, the batter must begin swinging his bat before the ball arrives. In other words, he must decide on the basis of the first portion of the pitch’s trajectory what its final path will be, and he has approximately one-quarter of one second in which to make this decision. Then he must start the bat, judge height, lateral placement, and velocity, adjust the swing, and make contact no more than a quarter of an inch above or below the center of the ball. And while doing all this, he must keep his body from flinching if the ball seems to be coming too close.

Put that way, hitting seems impossible. It would be impossible if it were a conscious process. By and large, it is a trained reflex, the product of hundreds of thousands of swings taken from childhood on. But it is easy to see why the pitcher has so big an advantage, and why outstanding batters are so few, and why even the greatest of all never succeeded in hitting safely as much as 40 percent of the time (Ted Williams- .344 lifetime). And that’s why, at major-league levels, batting ability is considered an inborn gift.

Each time up, and often after each pitch, the batter must find his “right” spot all over again- not only the right spot for his feet, but for his whole body position. It is easy to lose the rhythm of one’s own best swing in such circumstances, especially since being ready to dodge can be a mental distraction as well. And it doesn’t matter much whether the pitch comes close unintentionally (if the pitcher is wild) or intentionally. The result is the same, and the batter must be “ready”.’

And THAT is why my YANKEES haven’t won a World Series since 2000 (but still have 25 MORE championships than the Angels…)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Roberto "Remember the Alomar" and Jim "Two Silhouettes on Deshaies"

Hello shwing,

It's good to see a real baseball fan on OptiBoard for a change -- football fans, we've got no shortage of here ...

I'm hoping to see the St. Louis Cardinals prevail over the Chicago White Sox in the World Series.

My brother and I have already weighed in with "Chris Berman" style player name rosters for the Cardinals and White Sox http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...0&postcount=54 -- Chris Berman being ESPN's habitually punning baseball (and football) broadcaster and analyst. Needless to say, I hope that neither the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (that's the official club name) or the Houston Astros cause any of our fine player naming work to go to waste for the World Series.
    [ESPN's Chris] Berman has received much attention for his more than 800 nicknames, given mostly to baseball players, such as Roberto "Remember the" Alomar and Jim "Two Silhouettes on" Deshaies -- nicknames that often reflect Berman's almost encyclopedic familiarity with history, literature, pop music and pop culture in general.
    credit: http://espn.go.com/espninc/pressreleases/bermanq&a.html

rinselberg™ - good posts for your good times
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-14-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not for any of the teams left.

Cards?- Can't stand La Russa.
    Astros?- Lost Clemens AND Petitte to 'em (or lost Petitte BECAUSE of Clemens)
    Sox?- Uh, why?
    Angels?- What's their name again? Nevermind. The Rallymonkeys really got on my nerves in 003.

However, may the best team win!

Occupation

blah-blah-blah the White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    I'm not for any of the teams left.

Cards?- Can't stand La Russa.
    Astros?- Lost Clemens AND Petitte to 'em (or lost Petitte BECAUSE of Clemens)
    Sox?- Uh, why?
    Angels?- What's their name again? Nevermind. The Rallymonkeys really got on my nerves in 003.

However, may the best team win!
    OK, I'll bite: What don't you like about Tony La Russa?

My brother and I are Cardinals fans for the usual reason: We're from St. Louis, originally.

The Chicago White Sox, like last year's Boston Red Sox, have a "curse" to exorcise: The White Sox have not won the World Series since 1917, when they were famously tarred as the "Black Sox", after the notorious player betting scandal of that year which led to the permanent banning of eight White Sox players, including "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, and giving rise to the old baseball chestnut "Say it ain't so, Joe." The story was recounted in the 1988 hit movie "Eight Men Out". The late humorist Jean Shephard, a Chicago native, pithily summarized decades of White Sox futility when he ad libbed:
    Blah-blah-blah taxes, blah-blah-blah the White Sox, blah-blah-blah the whole damn thing ...
    credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_S...Banned_players

Last edited by rinselberg; 10-14-2005 at 01:11 AM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have to understand about Shwing, Ron,...... you see........he's a Yankee fan......and right now he's dealing with denial "issues". He'll be himself again come late February or March. He had the same problem last year, only it was a lot worse.....there was no Hockey to soften the blow!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

fall classic

fall classic without the yankees, surely you jest.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    White Sox fan here stepping up for harrassment.

I do need to post a clarification- White Sox fans ABSOLUTLEY do not spout that 'curse' bull the the other Sox fans (and the other side of town) have used as oh so pitiful excuses for so long.

No curse for us, nope...when we suck we admit it. And trust me- we have sucked. We love being the neglected, ignored underdogs. It gives us something to complain about. But we NEVER sink so low as to claim a curse. The 'black socks' thing? Simply interesting history to us. Part of the shady, rough, south-side charm of the team. :shiner: I mean come on, our fans beat up umps. Tuesday is 'fight night' because it is half-price night and all the fans are fighting. We like it rough and we like to win ugly.

And to any Cards fans out there- Bring it! It's the one time Cubs fans will have to root for us!

GO GO SOX!!! Woohooo!!!!

Jess

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The curse to which you referred is "the curse of the Bambino" and there's no way you could have one of those, because the white sox never traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
    You have had some bad luck however, and it seems that is also a thing of the past.Every "other sox" fan I know is still basking in last years glory, and wishes nothing but continued sucess to the White Sox. We can still say GO SOX!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    er baseball - is that like rounders for boys?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Alberts Pujols HR last night

Anyone catch Andy Pettite's reaction to Albert Pujols 9th inning, 2 out, 2 strike blast last night...that was priceless! I think that ball is still climbing into the clouds.

I felt bad for the Astros but now we can expect a great game Wednesday night.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh man that was one amazing homerun. I think it was quiet enough to hear the 'thud' when it hit the dome!! And it makes for some great baseball tonight!

Occupation

"Beat me in St. Louis"

This may sound nerdy of me (although I hope not) but I believe the count on Albert "Winnie the" Pujols (credit: Chris Berman, ESPN) was no balls and ONE strike when he launched that bomb off of the glass enclosure behind left field at Minute Maid Park. The home run followed a base on balls to Jim Edmonds, who looked at ball four with just one strike against him. Before Edmonds, the Cardinals WERE literally down to their last strike when David Eckstein scratched out a weak-looking single with two strikes against him.

As a Cardinals fan I'm ecstatic (hey, David "Eckstatic" -- no, I guess that doesn't quite cut it) but I have to say objectively that the odds are still in the Astros favor, as they lead the series three games to two and will put Roy Oswalt "that ends well" (credit: yours truly) on the mound again on Wednesday.

I guess I'd have to call this dramatic game five comeback win in Houston and the upcoming game six on Wednesday "Beat me in St. Louis".

Last edited by rinselberg; 10-18-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Occupation

Oswalt that ends well

As a St. Louis Cardinals fan it grieves me to report it, but the visiting Houston Astros beat the Cardinals 5-1 tonight at Busch Stadium. The Astros move on to the World Series. The Cardinals have some time off.

Houston's Roy Oswalt "that ends well" allowed just three Cardinal hits over seven innings in another signature pitching performance.

"How could we let it slip away?" Cardinals manager Tony La Russa offered some brief but interesting comments after the game to KMOX radio in St. Louis. Turn up your PC speaker volume and click on La Russa's photo (above) to hear what he had to say.

credit:

So it's on to the World Series starting Saturday night in Chicago. I'm rooting for the South Side Wonders. Just in case you missed it before, my brother and I (with a little help from ESPN's Chris Berman) have the White Sox postseason player names roster well covered for you:

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Mark "big and" Buehrle
    Jose "Mary Mary quite" Contreras
    Neal Cotts "enjammer Kids"
    Freddy "nightmare on Elm Street" Garcia
    John "close but no ci-" Garland
    "Cleaning and" Dustin Hermanson
    Orlando "a thousand lakes" Hernandez
    Bobby "high" Jenks
    Damaso Marte "gras"
    Cliff "it's not" Politte
    Luis Vizcaino
    A.J. "take a long walk off a short" Pierzynski
    Chris "build a better" Widger
    Geoff "spring is in" Blum
    Joe Crede "Clearwater Revival"
    Willie "don't" Harris "me"
    Tadahito Iguchi
    Paul Konerko
    Pablo Ozuna
    Juan "game winning" Uribe
    Jermain "live and let" Dye
    Carl "Who was the first to climb Mount" Everett
    Timo Perez
    Scott Podsednik "adventure"
    Aaron Rowand "the boat ashore"

Last edited by rinselberg; 10-29-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sox in 5!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information