Thread: Drill Mount Questions

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Drill Mount Questions

Up here we don't have alot of drill mounts ordered from our finish lab (our major accounts have a large farm population and very rural so trends/fashion aren't always 1st on their list of priorities) However we have recently run into some business that is very fashion oriented. There is a hospital run optical that is selling a lot of Drill Mounts and the majority of it is from all the Doctor's wives. Quite a few of them lately that are into the latest and greatest and willing to spend whatever it takes to get it.

So anyways my question is how are some of the more unique features created to individualize Drill Mounts. And what are some ideas of ways to personalize eyewear for each patient. I've been playing with jewels mounted into the lenses lately, but am wondering how the etched look that accompanies these stones is often achieved. I see a pattern or image that is next to the stones on lots of work that looks like etched glass. How is this done with such precise designs? Is it drilled just into the surface of the lens or is there something else to use to make these designs? I have been facinated with Billy Brock's work and I just have some time on my hands to learn and practice new things not just jewels/stones but anything that can set me apart from the competition. Any other suggestions that I could give my account for ways to personalize their patients glasses or give them something unique that they haven't seen before? Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Just a curious young optician wanting to learn up here in the middle of nowhere!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Talk to Billy Brock. He has a username on here.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Propose 'jewel' screws on your rimless glasses

Using DB OPTIC TopClean finishing tool on your screws, you get a easy and super finishing, standard screws will be smooth and look like jewels. Moreover, this can also be used to prepare integration of a little jewel in the screw.
    See www.dboptic.com

TopClean is distributed by AIT Industries in the USA.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Help might not be easy to find........................

Quote Originally Posted by culland
    Just a curious young optician wanting to learn up here in the middle of nowhere!
    Congratulation on your enthusiasm. You will encounter one problem in this case. You are looking to learn an art that has been aquired by others over a long time. This would translate to that these others who practise this art might not want to be too willing to train others that then might become their competition.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hello culland,

just as you have noticed there are clients that want unique personalized designer eyewear..... our industry has developed to answer that fashion end of the spectrum

we personalize eyewear with Swarovski crystals, semi precious stones and diamonds........ the carving is 100% hand created and thank you kindly for noticing the precision ....... the designs are etched into the front surface taking into consideration thickness and base curve (that's the tough part since the same Rx may be produced utilizing various base curves and range of thickness)

we provide a basic legend and the really sharp opticians put the parts together to create their own unique designs..... in my opinion that's how you beat the rat race

regards

BB

Thread Information