Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse Goggles

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    We are selling them at our office. They are selling like crazy! I am expecting to sell out today or tomorrow. I wasn't sure what the difference is between those and a good polar sun, so I checked out the ones we have and they are so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face. Looked at a bright light and it was very faint. Interesting stuff! Our office will be closing and we are all going out to see. Should be fun! Anyone that gets a good photo, with special filter, please post! Would love to see.
    How much are you charging for them? They are sold out in our county...I have a shipment of them coming tomorrow.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a 10 stop ND filter and a 6 stop, but they are not IR rated, even when stacked. I'd love to shoot a few frames, but I do not want to fry my sensor. I'll leave this up to others and live vicariously.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just saw a set of 6 on ebay that went for $70 plus $12.84 shipping! Supply and demand!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I found this list of reputable vendors of eclipse glasses. I ordered some, I think I will hand them out in the parking lot on August 21st.
    https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

Wow! Just checked out all the online retailers and most are sold out or stupid expensive. Should have bought them all up weeks ago and made a profit!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We didn't bring in a lot. Only 100, but they sold like crazy! We sold the last ones yesterday after setting 14 aside for staff since we are all going out to watch. We only sold them for a few bucks (very little profit) ...but we should have bought more to sell. People keep coming in asking for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I ordered a pair of Eclipser HD specs. Not sure if they will get here in time or not.

Occupation
    http://thousandoaksoptical.com/products/eclipse/

This is what I should have invested in early on... eh hindsight.

If anyone wants to PM me I'd be happy to buy from them

I'm wary of buying from anywhere other than the sites listed as being approved.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I have a 10 stop ND filter and a 6 stop, but they are not IR rated, even when stacked. I'd love to shoot a few frames, but I do not want to fry my sensor. I'll leave this up to others and live vicariously.
    *IF* you'll be along totality, you can safely photograph (and view naked eye) during totality itself. You'd probably be OK for a few seconds immediately before and after as well (diamond ring time), but after that, the radiation intensifies rapidly. The filters would give you a few extra seconds perhaps, but not much more. Most planetariums and photo shops should have a decent supply of proper camera filters. And they generally are relatively cheap. They just fit over the lens and/or glare shade. Those can be used safely for the rest of the event of course.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'll just have to enjoy the experience. Maryland is around 2/3 if I remember the chart.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We got in 125 yesterday.
    After setting a few aside for ourselves and few patients the doc ok'd to set aside for, we had about 100 leftover.
    We asked for a donation of $1 to $5 per pair and all the proceeds went to a charity. We limited them to 5 per person.
    We only posted that we had them on Facebook. I told patients I would send a email out letting them know we had them.

Didn't have the time to send any email. They sold out in 45 minutes.

Our phones had been ringing all day yesterday with people asking if we had them and few getting upset.
    Thought about getting more but the supplier we purchased from wants $4 a pair for 25 pairs now whereas four days ago it was $1.25 a pair for 50.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got 50 in yesterday afternoon, I put the word out and had a line at the front door this am, sold out in 15 minutes. I am a poor buyer I guess, should have bought 200!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in 94% totality area, bought our personal glasses MONTHS ago like the good little nerds we are. People in the shop keep asking for the glasses. Sold out a month ago. Called around- NO ONE has them. Have been reduced to telling people to buy a box of oatmeal first, then youtube "pinhole viewer eclipse" for instructions.

All. Day. Long.

Occupation
    I finally got a pair! Thank you to the local competition! At least they are independent as well

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now that's it's over.... anyone getting calls from people looking at the sun without the glasses? We went out and our MD looked up at the windows in the offices (we are in a large medical complex) and people were all looking out the windows without eclipse glasses. He just shook his head. Good grief people!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I looked at it WITH glasses and I know I'm going to be having psychosomatic issues for the next week. Price of experiencing a phenomenon.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Now that's it's over.... anyone getting calls from people looking at the sun without the glasses? We went out and our MD looked up at the windows in the offices (we are in a large medical complex) and people were all looking out the windows without eclipse glasses. He just shook his head. Good grief people!
    My son goes to NCSU. 94% totality area. He found a quiet area on the roof of a five story bldg to enjoy the view. He said 15-20 people were also up there, more than half with no protection at all and several with ordinary sunglasses. He looked down and saw hundreds of people in the courtyard with about the same ratio of protection. He spoke with another student who said she had made sure to watch it from her car so the windshield would keep the UV from messing up her eyes.

I think the next few days will see many retinal damage reports.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What is the liability implication for selling eclipse glasses in a private practice? Can't people come back within 2 years and sue us for selling them claiming they were not certified. I saw on the Phila. news last week a demonstration of 2 pairs of eclipse glasses both having certification labels on them. When held up to a strong light one blocked the light completely the other let light through! Scary.
    pseudonym's thread above mine is shocking

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    My son goes to NCSU. 94% totality area. He found a quiet area on the roof of a five story bldg to enjoy the view. He said 15-20 people were also up there, more than half with no protection at all and several with ordinary sunglasses. He looked down and saw hundreds of people in the courtyard with about the same ratio of protection. He spoke with another student who said she had made sure to watch it from her car so the windshield would keep the UV from messing up her eyes.

I think the next few days will see many retinal damage reports.
    Wow...just Wow...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    What is the liability implication for selling eclipse glasses in a private practice? Can't people come back within 2 years and sue us for selling them claiming they were not certified. I saw on the Phila. news last week a demonstration of 2 pairs of eclipse glasses both having certification labels on them. When held up to a strong light one blocked the light completely the other let light through! Scary.
    I know that the ones that we sold were on the approved list from NASA

Occupation
    Here comes the Post Eclipse Apocalypse

(anyone seen Day of the Triffids? because I'm waiting for that.... oh yeah that was a meteor shower.... though we did get one of those just days before)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Here comes the Post Eclipse Apocalypse
    Audrey IIs sprouting up everywhere!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Audrey IIs sprouting up everywhere!
    LOL Now I have the tune in the my head with the background singers singing "total eclipse of the sun! ....ba-Dooo!"

Since we have another one of these in a few years with the totality tracking right through my neck of the woods, I'll be interested to what clinical findings spring up about these products by then.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure there will be a ton of people whom got permanent vision loss from the eclipse. Don't quote me on the exact numbers, but this morning on ABC news they said that when the '99 eclipse happened in England, over 1900 people called or came by one of the largest hospitals there concerned about vision loss from eclipse viewing. Only 9 were confirmed to have permanent vision loss.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to recycle your eclipse glasses and send them to school children, in Chile or Argentina. They will get the next total eclipse in July 2019. I read that many schools here did not have enough for all of their students. If anyone wants to help, PM me.
    Thanks, Terry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Terry, I'm guessing you'll be using AWB?

https://astronomerswithoutborders.org/

Thread Information