Thread: Practice Ownership

OptiBoard Apprentice Mightymouse's Avatar

Practice Ownership

In Australia, practice ownership has only recently been deregulated in the past few years. Previously, only optometrists (opticians) were allowed to own optometry practices. The changes so far have been subtle, I haven't notice hoards of dispensers or non-optical entrepreneurs rushing to start up new businesses - though I do know of the occasional dispenser/practice manager taking over an existing business when the optom retires. These practices often still do quite well as long as they are able to maintain recruitment of quality optometry staff for the long term.

As I'm sure that many optometrists and dispensers read this website, I'd like to know what each of you think about the issue of practice regulation. Is it in the public interest, or just anticompetitive behavour? What are the regulations in your area and how do feel about this?

This thread is not intended to create flamewars or animosity between any particular groups. Please keep it civil.:cheers:

MM

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Australia regulations.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymouse
    As I'm sure that many optometrists and dispensers read this website, I'd like to know what each of you think about the issue of practice regulation. Is it in the public interest, or just anticompetitive behavour? What are the regulations in your area and how do feel about this?
    MM
    Luxottica has taken possession of Australias largest optical retail chain a short while ago. I assume that regulation was needed to make it legal. The trend is that manufacturers want to control the retail market as well as some other go for the laboratory market.

OptiBoard Apprentice Mightymouse's Avatar

Practice Ownership

Yes it's true. Luxottica has bought out OPSM, Australia's biggest commercial chain. However, OPSM benefitted from a grandfather clause - it was publicly owned before the introduction of practice ownership regulation.

Ownership restrictions have generally been justified on the basis that they help to safeguard professional independence and thus ensure that professional judgements are not compromised by commercial considerations. Another fear of deregulation was that the OPSM/Luxottica mentality of refract & pack would gradually pervade and devalue the optometric profession. As you know, there is an ever increasing shift toward ocular & systemic health in addition to optics.

What is the situation in the US/Canada?

MM

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    i know specsavers have looked at the australian market closely, if they decide to go in, all independants will be in for a bad time.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Are they intending to take over the world?

Lewy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You mean it can get tougher on independents? Us free standing Opticians got it plenty bad enough already!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Chains and manufacturers...................

Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    Are they intending to take over the world?
    Lewy
    Every chain tried to become bigger. What I think is worse, is that the manufacturing corporations are slowly creeping in with takeovers for full domination of the optical market.

Thread Information