Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't manage CE

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Professional affiliation

FNAO or FOAA is appropriate if the OD and MD posts their affiliations why should we not do so. THey are our big voice in theory Consumers dont know what the requirements are write a checkadd the initials even though they are legitimate organizations promoting the profession

Ed

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    FNAO or FOAA is appropriate if the OD and MD posts their affiliations why should we not do so
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Optometrists only indicate their affiliation to the American Optometric Association to their patients (if even then), not to their peers.

The American Academy of Optometry is nothing like the National Academy of Opticianry. It's not even close.

To become a fellow of the AAO, an optometrist must be licensed to practice at the highest level in his/state (including DPA/TPA certifications), be recommended by another fellow, submit one or more written papers (scientific, case histories, etc.) for peer review, and sit through an oral examination. The AAO and its members also publish one of the most respected journals in vision science, Optometry and Vision Science magazine. The yearly dues are over $300.

I would encourage you to visit the AAO's site and the NAO's site for information about both organizations.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I should add that I am certainly not trying to discourage anyone from joining the NAO, but rather pointing out that these fellowships indicate very different things. Currently, "FNAO" is only an indication of basic ABO certification, which most opticians already display after their name anyway.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Thumbs up Ldo Fnao

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Optometrists only indicate their affiliation to the American Optometric Association to their patients (if even then), not to their peers.

The American Academy of Optometry is nothing like the National Academy of Opticianry. It's not even close.

To become a fellow of the AAO, an optometrist must be licensed to practice at the highest level in his/state (including DPA/TPA certifications), be recommended by another fellow, submit one or more written papers (scientific, case histories, etc.) for peer review, and sit through an oral examination. The AAO and its members also publish one of the most respected journals in vision science, Optometry and Vision Science magazine. The yearly dues are over $300.

I would encourage you to visit the AAO's site and the NAO's site for information about both organizations.
    you are comparing apples to oranges,opticianry is nothing like optometry,so obviously NAO cannot be like AAO,does make sense now.

but FNAO is to the opticians what FAAO is to the optometrist.

If you are licensed optician,i encourage you to join this wonderful academy!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate
    FNAO is to the opticians what FAAO is to the optometrist.
    As a former fellow, I can tell you that it is not the same thing, whether you want to join or not.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    To be honest the only real benefit of joining the NAO is the discount on CE's and that's about it. There are NO groups like the American Academy of Optometry for opticians. If the NAO is the closest thing to it well then thats just a sad state of affairs for us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Darryl.......

is absolutely correct. Fellowship in the NAO (which I have held proudly since 1973) is nowhere CLOSE to fellowship in the Academy of Ophthalmology or Optometry. You take a 100 question multiple choice exam (ABO) and pay your annual dues and you have achieved fellowship in NAO. A fellowship in the others it is not a money-making opportunity, but a real recogniotion of superior professional accomplishments. I have been encouraging NAO for years to make the requirements real. The primay reason I joined and continue to renew my membership is to support the fantastic job they (NAO) does in preparing educational opportunities for Opticians. That is its mission and they do it well. There are some others. The CLSA has an excellent Fellowship program for anyone interested. It requires advanced certification in contact lenses, and an oral and practical examination by the fellow committee. Let me state that I do not hold a fellowship in CLSA. I choose to remain with Opticianry and improve my profession through education and real opportunities. For example, I want to see OAA develop a contact lens section, much like AOA. The use of the designation FNAO is certainly a personal choice. If youu choose to do so, it is fine. Just know that you are not a member of some elite group, you simply paid your dues. There is a plan by another organization to develop a real program to recognize professional accomplishment by OPTICIANS. It will not be dues based, but a membership in a professional group that requires serious effort. NAO wil be enlisted to participate. Keep your ears open to hear the announcement in the coming months. I hope some of you participate in this exciting new program.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That is my point too, opticianry currently is nowhere close to optometry, so are their membership academies.

You cannot compare lemon to banana.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That is my point too, opticianry currently is nowhere close to optometry, so are their membership academies
    Which is why you cannot compare the NAO to the AAO, even if both organizations have "Academy" in the title.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Which is why you cannot compare the NAO to the AAO, even if both organizations have "Academy" in the title.
    You mean to say pigeons should hop like crows :bbg:
    Last edited by Graduate; 01-14-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    wmcdonald I have heard that there may be a few more serious groups popping up. I wonder if they are all the same people?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by graduate
    You mean to say pigeons should hop like crows
    I mean to say that slapping the word "Academy" into the name of your organization doesn't add any inherent value to it.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Thumbs up

I mean to say that slapping the word "Academy" into the name of your organization doesn't add any inherent value to it.
    that's your impression,not ours.

fyi- NAO is the longest and the largest Academy,not a recent baby like your AAO;)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    fyi- NAO is the longest and the largest Academy,not a recent baby like your AAO
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's incorrect. The AAO was founded over 40 years before the NAO, and is considerably larger.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's incorrect. The AAO was founded over 40 years before the NAO, and is considerably larger.
    The membership of NAO stands at over 27000, your optometry academy at just 3000 members. I don;t go to internet for informations;)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The AAO is a much larger organization, and you can review their annual reports to convince yourself of that fact. And, regarding your claim that the NAO has 27,000 members (which is very close to the total number of ABO-certified opticians in the entire country), perhaps you can cite your source for that information.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The AAO is a much larger organization, and you can review their annual reports to convince yourself of that fact. And, regarding your claim that the NAO has 27,000 members (which is very close to the total number of ABO-certified opticians in the entire country), perhaps you can cite your source for that information.
    Darryl since you not the member of either organization you would'nt know.But the good news is you win the battle and I give up:cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Darryl since you not the member of either organization you would'nt know.
    You really don't need to be a member of an organization to read their annual report. Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I was a fellow of the NAO. Lastly, I have provided information that is readily verifiable. You have made an incorrect statement regarding which organization was older, and quoted a rather remarkable figure for the NAO's membership (placing it at over 5 times larger than any estimate I've ever seen for the NAO).
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You really don't need to be a member of an organization to read their annual report. Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I was a fellow of the NAO. Lastly, I have provided information that is readily verifiable. You have made an incorrect statement regarding which organization was older, and quoted a rather remarkable figure for the NAO's membership (placing it at over 5 times larger than any estimate I've ever seen for the NAO).
    not for the sake of arguement but for the sake of correct information what do you think is the total membership of the NAO?

I am a recent associate not a fellow member of the NAO ( the Academy).

For AAO, their recent announcement reads membership standing at 3271.
    Link is: http://www.aaopt.org/news/index.asp?...d=207&src=home

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For AAO, their recent announcement reads membership standing at 3271.
    That's actually the total number of Fellows. Their total number of members was 4,855 in 2004.

not for the sake of arguement but for the sake of correct information what do you think is the total membership of the NAO
    The highest figure I've ever seen was around 5,000 -- and it was a mailing list, which means that some members may no longer be current.

And, just to be clear, I'm talking about the size of organization, including assets, personnel, resources, and so on, not simply the number of members. Although the NAO probably may have fewer members as well, they are certainly a much smaller organization. (To put things in perspective, the membership dues of the AAO are nearly 6 times the membership dues of the NAO.)

As a matter of fact, consider that 1) The NAO has much cheaper membership dues than the AAO and 2) The NAO has a much larger population of potential members (there are probably 3 dispensers to every 1 optometrist) than the AAO. Yet the total number of members is probably very similar between the two organizations. Consequently, I think that says a great deal about the benefits optometrists currently see in the AAO versus the benefits opticians currently see in the NAO. However, once again, I am certainly not discouraging anyone from joining the NAO, and would even recommend to opticians that they explore the possibility of membership for themselves.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information