Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturers of custom clip-ons?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

You are absolutely correct

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    All rimless self-assembled clips system are designed for mass market just like Honda Civic. It is profitable and it allows optician to put up an instant clip while customer is waiting. The profit is not super high, however, the product is acceptable by mid-lower end market which is the mojority market. I am sure that Uni Clip should be super popular near Mexican boarder.

Full-rim custom clip such as OKO clip needs to have frames sent to the lab in order to match the shape/size/color. Morelikely, end users wear high-end eyewears such as Cartier, Chrome Heart wouldn't mind to spend $XXX and time to wait for the jewelry clip to match their expensive frames! It is a clip sytem with Mercedes Benz title!

Both clips are great and so are the cars! They are made for the same purpose but totally accept by different markets!
    Jerry,

Thanks. You are absolutely correct that Uni-Clip is a mid market product, but I would rather relate it to some US car brands, though. Although it's made in China, it's fabricated by a special high tech moulding technology transferred from US, with US made machinery and the special moulding alloy is also imported from US.......

We believe majority of US ECP's cater to mid income general public, regardless of their locations. Uni-Clip is designed for that. Actually, shouldn't all custom clip be like that? When catering to high end users, ECP should offer Rx sunglasses, which is the best eyecare solution for consumer.

Lak Cheong
    Acuity Optical USA, Inc.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-28-2007 at 05:43 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I’d like to know if anyone has any experience with fantomclip. What’s the quality of their end product?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Gary,

The photo attachment will illustrate how a custom clip can be made by pvc sheet.

prep: Laminate a piece of black fabric on both side of a 2 mm thick foam.

1. Use a thick gauge of shrinking pvc sheet and I would use (600 grit) sand paper to sand through the entire sheet (both sides) first. Why?? The spray paint would not stick on the pvc if it is not sanded and i also need to spray another thin coat of plastic adhesive agent (available from all auto part stores) and then spray whatever i want.

2. place the pvc sheet over the jig, use a some kind of clamp to seal the pvc sheet and turn on the heater. The pvc sheet get softer and softer once heated. Turn on your vacuum system (can be home made vacuum cleaner) once the pvc sheet is soft enough---make sure no air leaks! The skin tight molding is now done! Leave it for air cool down. Use a sharp blade to cut out the lower embossed area (frame shape). Sand through the cut off edges again with sandpaper again.

3. Now, edge a pair of dummy lens--2mm smaller than demo. Place the lens on the center and cut off lens shape on both sides of pvc sheet (eye shape area). Use the dummy lens again to cut out the inner eyeshape from the foam sheet (laminated with fabrid) and use the original demo lens to cut out the exact lens shape and size. Now, I am ready to glue the sunlens cushion by following the edge of sunlens.

4. Use low temperature to paint through the front surface. A special type of paint may achieve the old Armani frame case of finish is great to spray paint through the back of the molding (prevent scratch).

5. I found this application is great for Kawasaki rimless frames!:D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pvc shrinking device.jpg  

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile What is better........................

Clip ons are the perfect sunglass for financially limited people

but

But, the best sunglasses are made from a good frame with some good tinted Rx lenses and sold at an affordable price.

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OR some us of sell clips and rx suns.

Clips are great for in the car..

Clips are great for people who want multiple suns. I have a gentleman who wants to have his sunglasses for boating, etc.. but wants the convience of a clip to keep in both vehicles so he doesn't have to carry multiple pairs of glases with him.

I have another person who is a pilot. Loves polarized suns for everything on ground, but has to have non for the plane. Instead of buying several pairs of rx sun, he has a clip for in the plane that isn't polarized and has polar suns for everything else.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb custom clip sales

There are many reasons to sell custom clips. The cost of prescription sunglasses, especially for anyone wearing high index or progressives can be prohibitive. A custom clip made in a polarized lens with AR, even selling at $125-$150 is a bargain, especially if it is well made and fits the way that it should. A pair of polarized progressive lenses are $400-$500 + frame, so a custom clip is true value. High index lenses with Crizal Allize (great coating)
    are in the same price range, and who wants to wear a polarized high index lense for prescription. If you're a -4.00 or higher, a high index clear pair with a nice custom made clip is a fine way to go.

Our retail store (in the summer) averages sales of 60-70 clips a month, and it hasn't hurt our prescription sunglasses sales. Those that want a Chanel, Mikli, glamour look, won't buy a custom clip. But there are many many people that are GLAD to have the option.

Which one(s)? Eclips, OKO....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper New solutio..............................

Quote Originally Posted by fusion
    The cost of prescription sunglasses, especially for anyone wearing high index or progressives can be prohibitive.
    How about.................selling single vision sunglasses, which would not be prohibitive.

Then you sell them an additional clip on with the reading addition, either like a half eye or full. So when customer sits at the beach and wants to read here is the reading clip on.

A new idea for the clip on makers.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Make great business sense

There are many reasons to sell custom clips. The cost of prescription sunglasses, especially for anyone wearing high index or progressives can be prohibitive. A custom clip made in a polarized lens with AR, even selling at $125-$150 is a bargain, especially if it is well made and fits the way that it should. A pair of polarized progressive lenses are $400-$500 + frame, so a custom clip is true value. High index lenses with Crizal Allize (great coating)
    are in the same price range, and who wants to wear a polarized high index lense for prescription. If you're a -4.00 or higher, a high index clear pair with a nice custom made clip is a fine way to go.

Our retail store (in the summer) averages sales of 60-70 clips a month, and it hasn't hurt our prescription sunglasses sales. Those that want a Chanel, Mikli, glamour look, won't buy a custom clip. But there are many many people that are GLAD to have the option.

Agreed. I was invited as panel speaker at last year's ODMA in Sydney(Australia's biannual eyewear show) to address Aussie ECP's on using custom clip-on as add-on sales. I've posted the material in our website www.uni-clip.com under the icon "Do you want fries with that?". It covers some ideas of how to market custom clip-ons, not just ours but any type. Perhaps you can also input some of your own thoughts to share, since you have such a decent clip volume each month.

By the way, have you tried Uni-Clip? There are some product reviews on Uni-Clip posted recently. You can read about how other ECP's think of our product:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16380

Lak Cheong
    Acuity Optical USA, Inc.
    www.uni-clip.com

Occupation

Wave Pro-choice

Fusion is right on the money.

Give your patient a choice.

Today I went to visit one of our clients and noticed they are displaying eyewear with clips.

After looking closely at the display I noticed one frame with Eclips and one frame with OKO-Clips.

The display clearly showed that the optical is interested in providing a choice for the customer.

This location sells about 20-40 clips a month.

When a customer asks, “does this frame have a clip”, the answer to them is always, “any frame in the store has a clip”.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

display w/ real sample is essential for selling custom clip

Quote Originally Posted by okoart
    After looking closely at the display I noticed one frame with Eclips and one frame with OKO-Clips.

The display clearly showed that the optical is interested in providing a choice for the customer.

This location sells about 20-40 clips a month.

When a customer asks, “does this frame have a clip”, the answer to them is always, “any frame in the store has a clip”.
    Okoart has given the biggest hint of selling custom clip-ons. You need to have a physical sample finished on a frame to show patients how it looks like, rather than showing a picture, the chassis, or just presenting the concept. Just put one in your display and it will work miracle......

Anyone(only dispensing ECP's) would like to try this can send me an email and I'll ask our Arizona office to send you a finished Uni-Clip on a demo-front, with a counter card, FREE, but you need to pay your own mailing. Otherwise, you can drop by our Vision East booth #1019 under Acuity Optical USA, Inc. to pick up totally free.

Lak Cheong
    Acuity Optical USA, Inc.
    www.uni-clip.com

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Both of my twin OD sisters recently realized that most of their cash income come from clip and sunglass and a monthly big check from insurance company (V?P) for RX jobs.Consumer need clips!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Words to live by

Viva la clips!:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

custom clips

It's all about offering choice. Customers that want prescription sunglasses buy them. Some customers can afford Rx sunwear, some can't - but can afford a nice custom clip. Some customers can afford $600+ for just a frame, some can only spend $100. Giving people choices = happy customers and $ for your practice.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    OKOart,

Your casting technology is superb!

I am sure that cutting blades, drill bit and tap drills are no stranger to you----Why don't you design a few magnet hinges and custom fabricate hinges to fit end user's frame temples. Then, end users will have a few more options to get a pair of custom clip + interchangeable plano sunglasses....maybe a pair of RX sunglasses!!!:idea:

Occupation

Wave Art of Design

Hi Jerry-Thank you for the compliment and your suggestion.

When it comes down to design ideas and fabrication, YOU ARE THE MAN. :cheers:

OKO’s continuing success is a direct result of listing to our clients.

We love to challenge ourselves with new accomplishments.

Our design team pays close attention to the smallest detail of every OKO-Custom Clip.

We reinvent our craft with the ever-changing optical market by

adding on a new service for our clients.

Our newest service is restoring/color coating metal eyewear.:idea:

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Custom clips give you more option

Johns just made a very good point about custom clip-on in his product review on Uni-Clip:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16380

Custom clips expand your option to dispense high end frames that don't come with clips, especially for those patients predetermined to get clips.

Lak Cheong
    www.uni-clip.com
    Vision Expo booth #1019

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Does anyone know a custom clip on which the lenses of the clip on are attached to the clip on frame with screws? Because I want to replace the lenses with Blue Shark Optics. http://bluesharkoptics.com/ClipOns.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsuryase View Post
    Does anyone know a custom clip on which the lenses of the clip on are attached to the clip on frame with screws? Because I want to replace the lenses with Blue Shark Optics. http://bluesharkoptics.com/ClipOns.html

Cliphouse

http://www.cliphouseinc.com/

Frame Fixers

http://www.framefixers.com/Clipon_Sunglasses.aspx

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    88clipon.com
    --minimal adjustment
    --no need to send in frames
    --poor man's porsche
    --made in USA
    --the only system to turn clips back to sunglasses (coming soon)!
    --provide best fitting for rimless frames!
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 10-13-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Custom Eyes

820 Thompson Ave. #30, Glendale, California 91201

Phone (818) 502-0204

Ask for Arnold, tell him Angel Optical sent you

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JJ at Spectrum (314) 822-2266

You would have to send him the frame.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

OK I sent my glass to Frame Fixers for custom clip-on sunglasses two weeks ago, since they are cheaper and don't have middle man/merchant like Clip House. I manage to get someone on the phone a week ago they told me they only need a day to get the work done. They lied to me that someone left a message saying the work has been done and will be shipped out on that day but it's been two weeks. I have been trying to get someone on the phone for several days but to no avail. So I googled Frame Fixers and look what I found out. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Frame_Fixers If I had know they have a bad reputation I would just go to Clip House and pay twice the price. :( Hope i get my $400 glasses back in one piece.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As always, you get what you pay for. Did you ask your Optician for advice on this?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I don't think an optician can help me on this. I need government officials such as the police. I doubt I will see my glasses again. The guy probably doesn't even have a storefont, only a UPS mailbox. I can't believe the owner was interviewed by The Wall Street Journal once. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...486788178.html

Thread Information