Thread: Dispensing Method

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar

Dispensing Method

Just curious, but how do you guys dispense? Does anyone out there actually do the wise thing and sit down with the patient, choosing lenses first, and then begin with frame selection? Although I just referred to it as the wise thing to do, I very rarely do it. Most patients just care about what the frame looks like, so we work the lens selection around that.

Fink

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Man, Fink, we work hard to try it that way as well, but it doesn't seem to flow right now. At best we plant a few seeds in the exam room, then follow up after frame selection.

I'm working on it.

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    I guess now that we have a plethora of lenses to choose from, it's OK to do it the way we do it now. I mean, once upon a time, there were all these B-measurement limitations for PAL corridor heights and all that, but it's not much of a problem anymore.

The run-on sentence KING,
    Fink

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We consider the Rx first, lens consultation; then frame selection. To many that do not think of this principle result in refunds and complaints. This consultation process also reveals multiple pair sales.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by finklstiltskin
    Just curious, but how do you guys dispense? Does anyone out there actually do the wise thing and sit down with the patient, choosing lenses first, and then begin with frame selection? Although I just referred to it as the wise thing to do, I very rarely do it. Most patients just care about what the frame looks like, so we work the lens selection around that.

Fink
    Discuss Rx and any special frame considerations due any restrictions imposed by that Rx, type of multifocal if applicable, and of course "what's my benefit under my plan", and then on to the frames, with more lens considerations once the frame is chosen, add-ons, second pairs, expectations at dispense etc.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I try to steer the conversation towards lenses and do a rather good job with it. They will be looking at frames and I will ask them if they have thought about their lenses. I do also get people coming in and looking for the lens first, which is always good.

One way or another I do make the lens the most important part, or at least try to. I would rather sell a great lens with a less expensive frame than a less expensive lens in a more expensive lens. I mean vision is number one.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I try to steer the conversation towards lenses and do a rather good job with it. They will be looking at frames and I will ask them if they have thought about their lenses. I do also get people coming in and looking for the lens first, which is always good.

One way or another I do make the lens the most important part, or at least try to. I would rather sell a great lens with a less expensive frame than a less expensive lens in a more expensive lens. I mean vision is number one.
    :) Right on - if you have to skimp do it on the frame rather than the lenses!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I keep a bottle of wine on ice and start off by getting them to feel relaxed.:cheers:

Kidding aside, I usually ask to look at their current eyewear and RX to understand what the patients expectations may be. A little body language conveying the impression their situation is a challenge often develops their concern which also compells them to listen to your recommendations more attentively.

Thread Information