Thread: Progressive or Flat-Top specs for computer use?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Progressive or Flat-Top specs for computer use?

I have a customer who is currently wearing progressive bifocals. With her lifestyle, excluding work, she is very happy with them.

Her Rx for Distance and Near is as follows:
    OD) -1.00 +0.25 x 15
    OS) -0.75 +0.25 x 175

Add) +2.25

However, she sits at a computer for a lot of her workday. She has neck problems and so she would like a pair of specs to wear while she's doing her computer work. She would like the top of her multifocal to correct for a 27" - 32" range and the bottom part of her lens to correct for near.

The prescribing Dr. has suggested a progressive bifocal such as a Varilux Comfort (his words). I am wondering if you agree? Or would you fit her with a flat top...what is your experience?

I don't want to appear inexperienced myself. Quite honestly, I've fit many specs for people in this position and feel that they have been well served by either a flat-top bifocal or a lens like the Shamir Office (depending on their work situation/environment/requirements etc.).

This person is only slightly different because she has a "range" (27" - 32") that she would like to see for intermediate (she moves her laptop around on her desk during the day) and because her Dr. has suggested a standard progressive. It seems to me that a flat-top bifocal would still work for this "range" with the intermediate (or top portion) of the lens having an Rx like the following:

OD) -0.25 +0.25 x 15
    OS) Plano +0.25 x 175

But, I am getting ahead of myself....really, I wanted to know what you (based on your own experience) thought.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

hipchic

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why not use an NVF (like the Office, which you mentioned)?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would use a computer/desk type lens like the Sola Access lens. Why would he suggest a Varilux Comfort? That is just another progressive.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Because the Dr. is an optical buffoon?

You could still do a flat top, because the difference in the working distances you describe is only about 0.25 D. No major advantage there, though.

With a +1.25 add at distance and +2.00 at near, a low degression NVF lens wouldn't have much distortion. Access would work well. Essilor's would work. Shamir's would work. Virtually anything.

Can't blow this one. It's a softball.
    Last edited by drk; 09-27-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since this customer has neck problems and because when she is working at her computer she does not have need for distance correction (only intermediate and occassionally near), I thought a lens like the Shamir Office was really not necessary. Why use up part of the lens with a blur area and distance correction when I can give her all that intermediate viewing with a flat top lens?

That was my thinking at least...but, I welcome your comments and suggestions. Thanks for validating my thoughts on the opinion of her Dr. and his Varilux Comfort lens suggestion.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The prescribing Dr. has suggested a progressive bifocal such as a Varilux Comfort (his words). I am wondering if you agree? Or would you fit her with a flat top...what is your experience?
    Most folks who wear a PAL in their dress eyewear prefer a lineless multifocal in their task specific glasses. A PAL would work very well for computer glasses. The Rx would look something like this...

OD) +.25+0.25 x 15
    OS) +.50+0.25 x 175

Add) +1.00

Make sure that the client has actually measured the distance to the screen and any other frequently observed objects. 22" to 27" is a more typical range for computer glasses. If so, add another +.25 to the distance and cut the add to +.75. Use hand helds or trial frame to confirm if possible.

Regards,
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 09-28-2005 at 07:24 AM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would make her seperate single vision spectacle calculated for intermediate vision that will make her comfortable at her all computer levels and lessen neck strain.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just use the Shamir Office lens, it doesn't have that big of an area for distance, but the intermediate and near are fantastic.

She's already wearing a progressive, so the adaptation should be minimal, especially with the wide intermediate and near zones.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Weird. I just had a patient like this just yesterday, neck problems and all. She wears an executive with a very low (11 mm in a 38 mm B) seg height. Her midrange starting to go, so we're going with an exec trifocal...

...not that this has any bearing on anything relating to the discussion. More relevantly, she has a Comfort that she hates, but has an old AO Technica lens that she loves for the computer. From what I remember, the Access is the new version of the Technica (someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm guessing the setup's the same. I talked with her yesterday about switching out the old lens with a new one if she finds the new prescription easier to see at midrange than the Technica.

What I'm trying to say, in fewer words, is that an Office/Access/Interview-type lens works in practice with my patient, who has, it sounds like, similar problems with side-to-side motion in her neck. In your situation, I'd do an Access/High power or, if you're more comfortable with it, the Office (which I'm not as familiar with).

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why use that damn old thick Exec when a 7/28 or 8/35 would be a lot thinner and lighter as well as give more visual angle than needed at a computer?
    Last edited by chip anderson; 09-27-2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: 7's & 8's

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    From what I remember, the Access is the new version of the Technica (someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm guessing the setup's the same.
    I wouldn't want to correct you, but from our experience, these are two different animals, The Technica has a small distance portion set very high up in the lens and quite a narrow corridor which requires exact fittings in every direction. When you get it right, it's a great lens and the Pt always wants it again.

On the other hand, the ACCESS is a very forgiving lens, if the centers are out by a couple of mms, the Pt will still be very happy! and of course there is no distance vision built in.

Having said this, we have played with the Rx and used the lens many times as a cheap 'first time' progressive, and it's always worked well.
    Last edited by Clive Noble; 09-27-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Definitely straight top..........................

Quote Originally Posted by hip chic
    Very simple, at an addition over 2.00D the visual field for near is drastically reduced, the keyboard becomes distorted outside of a 5-6 letter area which is clear.

By giving patient a clear large near field you provide maximum comfort.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    http://www.opticallabproducts.com/13/tech_lens.php A good reference for what you would like to know. Sola Access would work well.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Why use that damn old thick Exec when a 7/28 or 8/35 would be a lot thinner and lighter as well as give more visual angle than needed at a computer?
    Not only thick, but heavy! Executive Trifocals are only available in Glass now. Plastic was discontinued about a year ago.

I would suggest taking a look at PRIO lenses. PRIO combines the Shamir Office and PRIO Browser (made by Zeiss) into a program called Shazam! to help you calculate the proper powers for your patient.

Check out www.prio.com

Adam

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In looking through my lens book, it looked as though there were still CR39 exec trifocals. Crap, I guess I'll have to work that one out, since glass probably won't work for her.

As to why I didn't go 8x35 or anything else, a few reasons: The patient has an exec bifocal now, set, as I mentioned, verrrrry low. It's set at 11 mm when it probably should be at 20 or 21. She only wears this while she's working (not much computer need for this pair), and just needs a wide field at near. We were figuring the exec trifocal would get her what she's starting to lose at midrange, and the width of the seg is the important thing for her, due to her neck problem.

I should probably just look this up, but it's just as likely someone here will respond by the time I get to work--is there any anythingx45 trifocal out there? I don't know if the 35 would give her quite enough room.

About going to an Access/Prio/Office/Interview: We're still talking about that, and I think she'll be fine with it, provided she wants to change. She's going to test-drive the new RX (with the trifocal, executive or not) and see if it's working better than her beloved Technica. And thanks, Clive, for the recap on the Technica. It's starting to sound dimly familiar again.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Very simple, at an addition over 2.00D the visual field for near is drastically reduced, the keyboard becomes distorted outside of a 5-6 letter area which is clear.

By giving patient a clear large near field you provide maximum comfort.
    Chris,
    You didn't think this one through. It's not really a +2.00 addition, is it? If it were distance at top with a +2.00 at bottom, YES, there would be a narrow area.

These NVF lenses, however, are like de-gressing SV lenses! So, think of the field of view on a SVNO, and work backwards from there.

I swear, this thread needs the "Dr. Sheedy Report on NVF Lenses". I wish I could get it to you all, but it's a long print article, only (and possibly copyrighted).

P.S. If you can't still get the AO Technica, try Hoya's NVF lens. Quite similar.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Another good choice comes from X-CEL called Acclaim61. Sizes are 8x34, 10x35, 12x35, all with a 61% intermediate. Although it doesn't solve the posture problem in front of a desktop monitor, it does allow a more usable intermediate focal length. Might be a good choice for someone who refuses to use two pair, or has a frequency of use level that does not warrant the expense of two pair.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the ft solution. Typically, patients appreciate the huge reading area (compared to a traditional PAL).

Has anyone tried double Ds for computer users? It seems that they would actually have to tilt their head down to see intermediate. But if they're looking down at the keyboard, they would only have to raise their eye to see the monitor. I've never done it, but every once in a while it pops into to my head as a possible solution. Has anyone else tried it?
    ...Just ask me...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Agree............

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I like the ft solution. Typically, patients appreciate the huge reading area (compared to a traditional PAL).
    As said before. I am in total agreement with above quote with one addition to have the seg line mounted very high.....I wear them mounted at lower edge of pupil. Full comfort.....just lift eyes from keyboard and the screen is in full view and crystal clear, so is the desk and the keyboard.

Thread Information