Thread: another nonprof ?: unrealistic expectations?

OptiBoard Novice

another nonprof ?: unrealistic expectations?

Hi, I hope you don't mind another nonprofessional using your board to ask a ?.

I am 52, a former very high myope, now aphakic, and I just switched from regular bifocals to progressives. I don't think I get a lot of choice as to the brand, which was probably Varilux Comfort, b/c I am an employee of a large HMO, which probably only carries a couple of brands.

I do a lot of reading and computer work and *was* happy with my bifocals, which had a 1.7 add power. I had a 2nd pair of single vision computer glasses, but if push came to shove, I just pushed my bifocals higher onto my nose when I used the computer. However, after I had my 2nd cataract surgery, I bemoaned not being able to accommodate at close distances, so the optometrist prescribed progressives with a 2.5 add power.

On top of everything else (before I'd done any research) I let the optician talk me into smaller frames. She seemed to have a reason other than fashion, so I went along with her recommendation, even though I very much wanted to use my old frames for cost reasons.

The new progressives aren't quite right (if they were bifocals, I'd say the segment line is too high), but I can sort of work with them if I push them uncomfortably far down my nose. I rather like being able to see at a wide range of intermediate (beyond arm's length) distances and to read very small print, but reading everyday stuff is impossible. I can't scan a newspaper or read anything bigger than two newspaper columns wide comfortably and I estimate that if I use the very bottoms of the lenses I can eek out a 4-5 cm vertical area that's in focus.

I ordered a 2nd pair of computer glasses (Access) on the spot, but as I am always misplacing my 2nd pair of glasses now, I want my "primary" glasses to work for reading as well as distance. (If necessary, I will continue to live without the intermediate and closeup vision). I am allowed to return the new glasses and will be doing so.

**My question is: is it even possible to get a decent reading area with progressives or should I stick with bifocals?**

If it helps, the bifocal segment of my old glasses was about 18 mm high and the total frame height about 42 mm. The new glasses have a total frame height of 35 mm, and my prescription is OD: nothing but 2.5 add, OS -0.75/180, add 2.5.

Thanks much for the help.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A few possible problems here. I would not say the problem is that the frame is too small. It sounds like the measurements could be off. Additionally, since you were very comfortable with your regular bifocal you probably should not have been moved out of them.

A trifocal, which is a regular bifocal with an extra lined segment would of probably had been a better solution.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Perfect non adapt .........................

Quote Originally Posted by hoodsmom
    0**My question is: is it even possible to get a decent reading area with progressives or should I stick with bifocals?**
    At you age, having worn bifocals until now your are the perfect candidate for NOT liking progressive lenses of whatever make or whatever they claim to be doing.

Your reading segment is much smaller than what you have been used to. You should wear a frame that is deep enough to give you a better reading area.

Go back to bifocals and choose one with the widest reading segment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunatally every option you will go for is a comprimise, your optician just needs to work out the best comprimise for you

options include

• Single vision DV NV and possibly Intermediate
    • Bifocals
    • Progressives

Each has thier own set of issues

You seem to have 2 needs: occupational, and everywhere else. I would probrably start at that starting point. Your computer screen occupies (probrably) a similar place in your visual field as the area above the steering wheel on your car, because of this it is an opinion that one pair of spectacles is a poor choice for both tasks

You question the reaidng area size on a progressive - I would reccomend you look at occupational progressives for whilst you are at your desk. Ocupational progressives are designed specifically for VDU users who also read (everything on your desk basically). Secondly I would then recommend a quality pair of regular progressives for the rest of the time

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Progressives are not for everybody...

It is quite possible that you saw the wrong person to help you.

Lifestyle dispensing is very important. Always ask for someone with some experience. Too many and I hate to say it may be on commission and are trying to sell high to get the most money.

A wide segment in a bifocal ar trifocal is usually a better choice for your need.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the fitting height on the progressives that you got? Have you taken them back and had them checked? Progressives have laser marks on them(you can probably see them if you hold them up to the light)and the optician should be able to remark the lenses and see if they are placed too high.

Generally the fitting cross should be right over the pupils, but sometimes people like them slightly lower.

If the frame is very narrow with a Comfort then you aren't going to have as much reading area. You need at least 18 mms from the pupil to the bottom of the frame, but it is better to have more.

No progressive is going to be as wide as a bifocal. Your add is fairly strong and that also makes the reading area narrower.

Thread Information