Thread: Quality from the labs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Quality from the labs

Is it me or over the years, has quality has reduced from the labs that supply us - specifically in the hand skill departmment. Having spoken to a few of the bigger labs and a few smaller ones recently (I was a lab tech myself once) I realise that now with robotic formerless edging, many of the skilled staff have been pushed aside, to make way for the cheaper low skilled staff. Upon querying why a lens was not hand edged I was told the machine does it automatically now.. which is great, so long as it does do it. This would begin to explain why specifically saftey bevels look so shoddy, and in general hit and miss

What approach are other professionals taking in dealing with thier lab's, to ensure the quality?

I only ask a simple thing from the labs I use - Please make it the right power, with the right centres, well mounted and set up, clean and tidy, and safe to wear. It is so hard to get all those things in one place... am I just going to have to dust of my tech coat?

Did i say Rimless?
    Last edited by QDO1; 09-19-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Our lab is in a store and I personnally make all the rimless myself because we just can't rely on outside parties to do a good job. Atleast if I do it myself and it breaks etc I can whip another lens up straight away.

However we very rarely send any specs to an outside source to be made as, just like the rimless, we can't trust them. So we make everything instore within the hour. Unless its something we don't stock then we get it in either a finished blank or a semi-finshed blank (depending on the blanks)

Labs are getting cheap and shoddy, the MAR coats that some supplyers use are pitted badly layered, lenses are scratched the substance is unacceptable there are so many problems at the moment because of what you mentioned. And its costing ppl alot of money and customers.

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    There is a particular frame that we display (but have not yet sold) with a very small B-measurement (20mm), which I decided to order for myself. Well, the lab we use most often just refused to edge lenses for my frame, saying their patternless edger would not cut the lenses properly. This lab has been in business for 20+ years and they can't hand-edge a lens!!!! :angry:

By the way, our alternate lab did in fact edge my lenses (turnaround: 2 weeks). And my girlfriend HATES the frames on me! But other women have complimented me on them, ;)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The wholesale arena is much more different than retail as their profitability is recognized in "Mass Production." I'm not saying a quality product can not be mass produced because most of the new robotic machinery does a decent job when operated and maintained properly. But as greater volume is recognized, there is also more potential for a job to fall between the cracks where substandard quality goes un noticed.

If quality is your foremost priority and you have the ability to manufacture a better product, why don't you do your own edging and mounting? Many retailers pride themselve's in being able to offer something above and beyond a "product" by doing just this.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    It is a double-edged sword.

Some of us older techs have more hand working skills. But given the unreliable nature of the machines back then, we needed them. Give me a Nidek any day of the week.

I could share a few horror stories about the "good old days".
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Ive maybe only been in the optical industry for 3 years now but our lab manager insists on more manual hand skills as they are useful when your machinery conks out, and in cases it can cut 5/10 minutes off a job if you do finishing and bevaling manually rather than let the cutter do it fo you.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I'm not impressed

Maybe it's due to the influx of lens substrates, however it seem the quality of powers, prism, and cosmetics has declined with the improvement in technology.

I think the newer equipment can produce acceptable quality, but final inspection is another story.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Use older tach's.........................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    I realise that now with robotic formerless edging, many of the skilled staff have been pushed aside, to make way for the cheaper low skilled staff. ................. am I just going to have to dust of my tech coat?
    That would probably just make a nice niche for a lab to use some technicians that got trained in the pre-patternless era. Maybe for little higher price but be able to do the special jobs without problems.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    That would probably just make a nice niche for a lab to use some technicians that got trained in the pre-patternless era. Maybe for little higher price but be able to do the special jobs without problems.
    Hey that would me me then.. what machine should I buy.. old Profil 2?

Can anyone remember wooden formers?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Ceramic stone............

Hey that would me me then.. what machine should I buy.. old Profil 2?

Can anyone remember wooden formers?
    No profil2.................get a ceramic stone and do it by hand

:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it me or over the years, has quality has reduced from the labs that supply us - specifically in the hand skill departmment. Having spoken to a few of the bigger labs and a few smaller ones recently (I was a lab tech myself once) I realise that now with robotic formerless edging, many of the skilled staff have been pushed aside, to make way for the cheaper low skilled staff. Upon querying why a lens was not hand edged I was told the machine does it automatically now.. which is great, so long as it does do it. This would begin to explain why specifically saftey bevels look so shoddy, and in general hit and miss

What approach are other professionals taking in dealing with thier lab's, to ensure the quality?

I only ask a simple thing from the labs I use - Please make it the right power, with the right centres, well mounted and set up, clean and tidy, and safe to wear. It is so hard to get all those things in one place... am I just going to have to dust of my tech coat?

Did i say Rimless?
    As a lab owner it seems....

Older machines arent supported.
    Newer machines have all sorts of peculiarities and are just waiting to catch you off guard.
    Staff don't seem concerned about getting the job right or turned around quickly.
    Lenses are getting thinner and/or more slippery.
    Frames are getting shallower, rimless in particular are throwing up all sorts of glazing issues with their unwillingness to be set up.
    Couriers come across as reckless.
    Dispensers aren't shy of selling high plus Rx orders in supra and rimless frames which end up either chipped/cracked or returned due to thickness.
    Competition is such that if you charge enough to do a job right then you don't have enough work to operate profitably.

Its a constant struggle.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Rick,

I have to agree jobs are getting more slippery and are certainly a pain to edge. I think you will find however some practices will pay more for a good job. My personal view is that many places all too often look at how cheap is it? How much discount will you give me etc. rather than looking at the quality and adjusting their retail prices accordingly. Let's hope we can move away from buy one pair get 6 pairs free, double rebates and a free cup of coffee!!

By the way, could you please send me a roll of those extra sticky glazing pads.

Many thaks,

Lewy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    Rick,

I have to agree jobs are getting more slippery and are certainly a pain to edge. I think you will find however some practices will pay more for a good job. My personal view is that many places all too often look at how cheap is it? How much discount will you give me etc. rather than looking at the quality and adjusting their retail prices accordingly. Let's hope we can move away from buy one pair get 6 pairs free, double rebates and a free cup of coffee!!

By the way, could you please send me a roll of those extra sticky glazing pads.

Many thaks,

Lewy
    Couldnt agree more. Ban packing, promote loctite

Occupation
    The company I work for has banned packing and rightly so.

Theres no need for it, if I cut a lens to small (which shouldn't happen if your machinery is calibrated daily) I will redo the lens no questions asked.

I've personnaly had some glasses in for repair from other shops and some of the shoddy work Ive seen is horrible.

Lenses glued in, lenses locktighted in, frames badly distorted to fit and enough packing to fill a small suitcase and theres nothing worse than trying to repair a fallen out lens that has used packing in the frame. :angry:

Thread Information