Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eyemed yea or nay

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

eyemed yea or nay

We are currently not signed up with Eyemed, but we are getting a lot of calls from patients wanting to know if we accept it. I have not heard of too many ECP that are happy with it. what do you think?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In an effort to stop some bashing before it begins...do a search on the site for EyeMed. You'll get a variety of opinions.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Eyemed

It is no worse than VSP. Everything is discounted, but you do get to make the glasses yourself instead of sending it ou.

It is owned by Luxoticca/Lenscrafters...so that tells you it is evil!

It's not any worse than any other "Vision" plan!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    previously all my company went with was cole. after the takeover from lux, our vision care went with eyemed. the positive was that it opened alot more patients to come in, the worse was that when eyemed took the place of CMV, lux sent it to all locations WITHOUT field testing it first. in my little brain i would think that a huge corporation would "test the waters" but they threw it out there and there were HUGE problems. We couldnt get authorizations for several doctors (who were told pretend that the patient is eligible and see them) which resulted in thousands of dollars missing from the doctors paychecks. I know we should put the patient first but damn it, i need to eat. claims were denied, patients who were eligible weren't, corrected claims were put on the back burner, etc.
    the fire is almost out, and i have to admit, with all the kinks out it is easier to submit via internet, we can track our claims better, and we have a much easier time looking up participants.

ps lux might be evil but being evil is so much fun

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I just reviewd their package of information and am still scratching my head. It seems rather complicated to understand. For example, they have all sorts of tiers "A, B, C, D, E" which seem to go from best to worst. I don't understand, however, if you can sign on to only the A tier and refuse the others? On the "A" plan it seems that they pay a certain amount for the exam but the purchase is based on the "allowance". They never quite explain what this allowance is and therefore I don't know how comparable this is to VSP. I know that they bought Cole out and I know that Cole was a miserable plan that I never participated in (and never would). Therefore, if this is Cole under a new disguise I would not want to have anything to do with it. But if this is a VSP-like plan I would probably accept it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I have seen and heard the Dr's in Florida are not happy with the amount of money for their services and me being a Optician feel the same way. If I went to school as long as thay do I would not be happy with $28 for a eyeglass exam and not much more for a contact lens exam and have to wait for a long time to get paid.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which by the way I am looking for a O.D. to come join us in Panama City Florida [Panhandle Gulf Coast] Any one intreasted? Contact me via ccgforeyes@yahoo.com. We have a full surface lab with new equiptment and two exam lanes with new equiptment. Thanks.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We take it. . .

We started taking Eyemed when it was still in its infancy and you had to have 150 Luxottica frames to play. You can pick and choose which plans you want to take. We take all but a couple. They pay $50.00 for the exam ( some plans now pay $60.00) and materials work out to be about a 20% discount.

Not great, but not bad either. As others have mentioned you get to run the jobs in house. You must bill for everything though or you take a hit. Drills, polishing, prism anything that can be broken down for a charge, must be.

We've had some problems explaining the difference between the $45.00 AR & the one we sell for $133.00, but not many.

There is no frame allotment anymore, but they offer you an additional $10.00 per eyeglass patient based on your gross I think. Don't hold me to that though.

We decided to take it based on the number of people in our area who have it. I don't know anything about evil empires, I think there's enough room for all of us.

I hope you're having fun and making money!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN
    From what I have seen and heard the Dr's in Florida are not happy with the amount of money for their services and me being a Optician feel the same way. If I went to school as long as thay do I would not be happy with $28 for a eyeglass exam and not much more for a contact lens exam and have to wait for a long time to get paid.
    I am amazed at how little people know about what they are talking about. There has never been a standard Eye Med plan that paid $28 for an eye exam. The lowest that they pay right now is $50 depending on where in the country you live. Here in California they pay $69.

Now there are some plans that are non-standard plans. IF there is a plan that pays $28 for an exam the doctor has the option of declining, which I most certainly would do. If you have docs in Florida complaining about low exam fees whos to blame if they accepted them?:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, I just put up the fort around me as to avoid the rapid fire that might ensue but.....Eyemed has been great for my office. I am in a very industrial third party state and its no worse then the rest of the ins and in most cases its better. Pts are able to get Cls and frames which usually leads to multiple pairs when pts buy the lenses. Its easy to bill and pays super fast. I like it, as much as one can like a vision insurance company.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Hey, I just put up the fort around me as to avoid the rapid fire that might ensue but.....Eyemed has been great for my office. I am in a very industrial third party state and its no worse then the rest of the ins and in most cases its better. Pts are able to get Cls and frames which usually leads to multiple pairs when pts buy the lenses. Its easy to bill and pays super fast. I like it, as much as one can like a vision insurance company.
    For most of the people that I deal with that do a lot of Eye Med they have very few complaints. They tell me its easy to file claims, they get paid quickly and if they have an in house lab its really a no brainer.

The complaints that I do get mostly come from people that don't do very much of it and are unfamiliar with the claim process. Once I put them in touch with a claims rep and they get their questions answered they are much happier. The problem that I see is that most people either don't want to ask for help or are embarassed for some reason. Or they get so frustrated they just say screw it and just complain.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I won't take Eyemed until they stop offering replacement contact lenses on their website, and pay the provider a big $5!!!

Pigs get slaughtered, you know?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didnt say anything about "Standard" And yes we are in a diffrent part of the country, [a little over 5000 miles from California] And those Dr's that work with Pearl have a contract with Pearl to accept cole/eye-med even though thay are supposed to be independent in Florida.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been thinking about it too. I've been looking at the fees, I can swallow the low fee for the basic lenses. My experience has shown me that the premium progressives truly work and have much higher success rates which brews happier clients, and therefore repeat business. How do you handle the extremely low fee reimbursement for premium progressives? I really don't think its worthwhile to deal with everything that goes along with the sale of progressives. Everything from explanation to a newbie to dispensing instruction. Why bother for practically no profit if you use a really quality lens? If you use a low end progressive, you wil brew headache and misery. I don't need the grief of non-adapts like the "old days".So, your cash paying customers get good lenses and your insurance folks get junk?

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs
    I've been thinking about it too. I've been looking at the fees, I can swallow the low fee for the basic lenses. My experience has shown me that the premium progressives truly work and have much higher success rates which brews happier clients, and therefore repeat business. How do you handle the extremely low fee reimbursement for premium progressives? I really don't think its worthwhile to deal with everything that goes along with the sale of progressives. Everything from explanation to a newbie to dispensing instruction. Why bother for practically no profit if you use a really quality lens? If you use a low end progressive, you wil brew headache and misery. I don't need the grief of non-adapts like the "old days".So, your cash paying customers get good lenses and your insurance folks get junk?
    Specs

With Eyemed you make the most money when you sell Premium product.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    When looking at which insurance plans to take, you need to carefully sit down and do the math. Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to give the company a call.

As an example, when we first started taking Anthem Blue Vision two years ago, it appeared that we were either break-even or losing money on frames. When I called up the insurance company to complain, they explained how we get reimbursed for frames. The problem was that their provider manual didn't really state it that way.

So take a look at exactly what you are getting paid for a premium progressive from EyeMed and then also make sure that you are doing the math correctly and collecting the correct amount from the patient as well. I've found that EyeMed pays a little less than VSP, but you're also getting more patients in the door who are purchasing contact lenses or glasses. If you're doing the math correctly, you should be profiting. At least their claim submission is fairly easy, and they pay fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cinders831

I agree with you cinders and i would like to add that they accept opticians on their plan unlike vsp (the true evil empire)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyemed/VSP/Cloevision, If you swim in a sewer, you'll smell like s**t!
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels Rock View Post
    I am amazed at how little people know about what they are talking about. There has never been a standard Eye Med plan that paid $28 for an eye exam. The lowest that they pay right now is $50 depending on where in the country you live. Here in California they pay $69.

Now there are some plans that are non-standard plans. IF there is a plan that pays $28 for an exam the doctor has the option of declining, which I most certainly would do. If you have docs in Florida complaining about low exam fees whos to blame if they accepted them?:hammer:
    We are new optical owners. My husband is an optometrist who has spent his whole career in ophthalmology practices where opticals were not present. Wondering if we could hire you to consult with us on proper billing with Eyemed and VSP as it relates to the optical sales?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea23 View Post
    We are new optical owners. My husband is an optometrist who has spent his whole career in ophthalmology practices where opticals were not present. Wondering if we could hire you to consult with us on proper billing with Eyemed and VSP as it relates to the optical sales?
    Andrea,
    You cannot hire us but my optical manager would be happy to help you free of charge. We have been dealing with VSP, Eyemed and many others for many, many years (too many). Although we are not experts we do know a fair amount and are willing to share. When I was starting my optical I received a lot of help from the kind folks on this board and am more than willing to give back. I will send you a pm with my details.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact member Angehamm here, believe he is in Richmond. He seems to have a good grasp of ins. from his posts, and the new Virginia laws. He might be interested, who knows. Member happylady also seems very insurance knowledgeable if I remember, not sure where she is located.
    Best of luck

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Whom ever you are......thank you!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    thank you, thank you!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc View Post
    Andrea,
    You cannot hire us but my optical manager would be happy to help you free of charge. We have been dealing with VSP, Eyemed and many others for many, many years (too many). Although we are not experts we do know a fair amount and are willing to share. When I was starting my optical I received a lot of help from the kind folks on this board and am more than willing to give back. I will send you a pm with my details.
    We really appreciate your help and love that you're paying it forward! i will await your pm - thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We kept them just because so many of our patients with the plan had it provided to them through very well paying jobs. The sort that allow members to buy second and third pairs like they're buying .25 packs of gum at the checkout. Ditto with Spectera.

Thread Information