Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essilor to Buy Lux ??

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Essilor to Buy Lux ??

I heard a rumor. Is this true? I sure hope so.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Doubtful

Since 70% of Luxottica's stock is owned by Mr. D. that's not only highly unlikely, but down right impossible.

Sorry,

Rep

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    I heard a rumor. Is this true? I sure hope so.

I'm curious as to how you would see this as positive ? (not that I think it's true ...just curious)

Karen

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen[b
    ][/b]
    I'm curious as to how you would see this as positive ? (not that I think it's true ...just curious)
    As rep say's.........impossible.............Mr. D. would have to want to sell his majority...........which could also be possible at some point............we all get older.

In the other example with Moulin the sons of the old man who built up the corporation screwed up good and lost out. So Mr D could just do such a move to sell out to a major corporation once he decides to get out of it.

Any of the big corporations like Essiolr or Zeiss are like tigers waiting in the shade for the prey and have the money, or at least have the possibility to raise the money needed for such a venture. They have proven so far that gobbling up any optical competitor is either eliminating a disturbing factor or adding to their business.

All it takes is a Mr.D to get tired of playing rhe field and it could happen.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Any of the big corporations like Essiolr or Zeiss are like tigers waiting in the shade for the prey and have the money, or at least have the possibility to raise the money needed for such a venture. They have proven so far that gobbling up any optical competitor is either eliminating a disturbing factor or adding to their business.
    So, this being the case (gobbling up the competitors), I am wondering why Jim thinks this is a positive move ? Wouldn't this make an even bigger entity? A more powerful force to be dealt with? I think that would be more frightening ...

Karen

(edited to hopefully clarify)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jim thinks this would be good because Essilor hurts the independant labs AND because he owns some Lux stock.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By the way, who is Mr. D?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr DelVecchio... The man who started Luxottica.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Ehhh

Luxottica is quite huge with many ventures in diff. types of businesses. Plus Lux. is going to be one tough fish to bring in.
    I would rather wager that it may be the other way around, Lux may try buying Essilor.
    It bought Cole, primarily for the managed care portion, which at the same time incredibly increased it's influence on the open market in many diff. ventures and increased its optical base by at least 50%, in attaining BJ's Opticals, Sears Opticals(the worldwide advertising alone is priceless), Macy's Opticals,Target Opticals, and some JC Penny's Opticals. as well Cole's established patient base in the managed care field.
    They have a major hand in the established Insurance field, a huge hand in the established retail optical field, they already were an established frame manufacturer, and now the only missing piece to this puzzle would be an huge established Lens Manufacturing firm such as Essilor.
    After that the only thing left for them to do is buy Santinelli and have all the equipment too.
    Think about it.
    You could have a self perpetuating company that has its own huge insurance base, makes its own frames, and produces its own lenses, in its own unstoppable nation wide chain that is everywhere and can do it all in an hour.

It'll be the Starbucks of the optical world, they will be everywhere.
    The small private practices will suffer.
    How can you compete with LensCrafters when you will not have the capabilities of pulling a Varilux Progressive Transition with AR out of thin air in an hour. at 8:30pm on a Saturday night?
    Oh, and the patient will more than likely be an EyeMed patient anyway that will pay little out of pocket for the whole thing.

It's just my opinion, an observation, obviously prone to misconception and error, (as my wife always reminds me),

Raymond

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thank you for brightening my morning. Its nice to see people think Essilor has the financial might to pull off that kind of maneuver- perhaps a bit humorous as well...

Coming back to reality, however, Essilor could never wage a hostile (or probably even amicable) takeover of Luxottica for reasons mentioned elsewhere on this thread. As was also mentioned elsewhere, while Essilor doesn't exactly worry about a takeover bid by Luxottica, the prospect (and related defense) has at least been discussed- if you read the annual executive board reports it would appear that way, anyway.

It would similarly be extremely difficult for anyone to wage a hostile takeover of Essilor. One of the reasons is that- regardless of the fact that we're supposed to be a (how did Mr. Reyser put it) "tiger waiting in the shade for prey"- a significant chunk of Essilor is employee-owned. As one of those employees, I don't think I'm very interested in selling out to anyone else- I kinda like my company the way it is!

Anyway, its an interesting rumor- with no foundation of truth. Not that someone at my level would necessarily know if we were going to purchase LensCrafters, but anyone with a knowledge of the financial size and situation of both companies could ever seriously entertain the idea that Essilor International would attempt to purchase Luxottica.
    :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Other idea..................

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Thank you for brightening my morning. Its nice to see people think Essilor has the financial might to pull off that kind of maneuver- perhaps a bit humorous as well...
    As we are back in the rumor mill, Pete, maybe you could (company) arrange a friendly merger after Lux has purchased the left overs of Moulin International and Mr.D decides to retire from the optical rat race..................... :D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond
    How can you compete with LensCrafters when you will not have the capabilities of pulling a Varilux Progressive Transition with AR out of thin air in an hour. at 8:30pm on a Saturday night?
    Raymond
    FYI
    Varilux brand are not stocked in store but they are available as a special order. Any progressive with a/r is a special order also.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond

Raymond
    I'd like to see this done. I don't think you can produce a quality product in this manner consistantly. I have seen it tried and the product failed. Remember the Matrix failure. If Raymond knows how to do this, I love to see him do it. I'll make up the orders and he goes into another room and comes back in an hour with a quality product. Aint gonna happen.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin

Here's a bit of humor for you Pete. Is there any truth to the story that Time Warner or Nidek are sueing Essilor for tradmark infrendgements for that logo you are displaying. Looks like the same thing to me.

(By the way. I am selling my "lenscrafter" stock in the AM.) Please send me a PM, What is Essilor going to buy next.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

One Hour

I'd like to see this done. I don't think you can produce a quality product in this manner consistantly. I have seen it tried and the product failed. Remember the Matrix failure. If Raymond knows how to do this, I love to see him do it. I'll make up the orders and he goes into another room and comes back in an hour with a quality product. Aint gonna happen.
    It has been done in a consistent manner forget about matrix we have done progressives in an hour with AR in LC and it was a quality product so please don't tell me it can't be done because from the voice of experience I have done it

LC is evil.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, if the Evil Empire does as bang up a job with an Essilor merger as it is doing with the Pearle/Cole merger....Pete will be working as grounds maintainance in Happy Valley real soon!:D
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by DPalmer
    It has been done in a consistent manner forget about matrix we have done progressives in an hour with AR in LC and it was a quality product so please don't tell me it can't be done because from the voice of experience I have done it
    The chemat system is very inconsistant in color.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    The chemat system is very inconsistant in color.
    My understanding is that the chemat process takes about an hour anyway. I doubt this is what DPalmer was refering to (though I may be wrong). Leybold's CCS250 tool is fast and Satis' SP200 tool is faster (I believe). I think that both should be fast enough that a PAL could be surfaced, UV back coated and AR coated. Of course UV back coats are often of questionable quality, especially with AR on top, but it should certainly be possible.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Yes I believe some LensCrafter stores have a Satis Sputtering system and Essilor provides semi-finished blanks with the front side already A/R coated. In this way only the back side has to be done. I however would be concerned about the quality of such a product. Typically the front side reflection will not match the back and the front side A/R will be exposed to the surfacing process with can put stress on the A/R film on the front side

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Z
    Yes I believe some LensCrafter stores have a Satis Sputtering system and Essilor provides semi-finished blanks with the front side already A/R coated. In this way only the back side has to be done. I however would be concerned about the quality of such a product. Typically the front side reflection will not match the back and the front side A/R will be exposed to the surfacing process with can put stress on the A/R film on the front side
    Good point regarding surfacing stress, this is much, much higher than edging stress. As far as different color from the front vs. back reflections, I've never considered this to be a significant aspect either cosmetically or for the wearer's vision. Of course some may disagree......

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    Good point regarding surfacing stress, this is much, much higher than edging stress. As far as different color from the front vs. back reflections, I've never considered this to be a significant aspect either cosmetically or for the wearer's vision. Of course some may disagree......
    I may go to go to LC in the AM and ask for all this and see if they try to talk me into giving them more time. My guess would be they will ask me to give them more time. Any bets? Any and all bets!?? In any case I bet they don't produce in an hour.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One hour? Yeah, right.

LCs have been tossing the one-hour focus and signage for awhile now as the stores are updated. We still have on-site labs and a pretty good supply of surface lens blanks and finish lenses. People still come in every day and ask if they can get glasses within an hour, and we are honest with them when we answer, "It depends on what your rx is and what kind of lenses you want."

"Two weeks," for non-stock and AR progressive lenses, regardless of "house" or specialty lenses. May come in sooner, but I will tell you 2 weeks at order time.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Ar

Quote Originally Posted by coda
    My understanding is that the chemat process takes about an hour anyway. I doubt this is what DPalmer was refering to (though I may be wrong). Leybold's CCS250 tool is fast and Satis' SP200 tool is faster (I believe). I think that both should be fast enough that a PAL could be surfaced, UV back coated and AR coated. Of course UV back coats are often of questionable quality, especially with AR on top, but it should certainly be possible.
    Coda is exactly correct it was the Satis SP 200 that we had for a while but LC took it out of our region because our AR % was not what they wanted at the time to be able to keep it here (40%). I believe that we still have some though I have no idea where. The AR looked pretty darn good from what I saw though and this was maybe 1 1/2 ago wow how time flies.

Occupation
    The most important part of the conversation is LC corporate holds them to ridiculous standards when it comes to breakage. Forcing them to put out questionable jobs on a fairly consistent bassis. So can they put out a quality job in an hour? Maybe but highly unlikely. Will they put out a quality job within an hour? Never have never will.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information