Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What lens material is recommended for groove mounting in a full-rim frame?

OptiBoard Apprentice

What lens material is recommended for groove mounting in a full-rim frame?

I'm considering getting a full-rim frame that requires the lenses to be groove mounted. The frame is model Modo 1062, which is pictured here:

http://tinyurl.com/9krgz

What lens material would you recommend for groove mounting? The person selling the frame said that polycarbonate lenses are recommended for it. He said that if I go with any other lens material, whether it be 1.67 lenses or standard CR-39, the lens will be prone to chipping. I don't want to get polycarbonate lenses because I read that their optical quality is horrible compared to other lens materials. If I have no choice but to use polycarbonate lenses, maybe I should consider looking for another frame.

I was planning on getting the 1.67 lenses at Costco fo $70. I know that the 1.67 lens is overkill for my prescription, but I have to consider the weight and comfort of my glasses because I wear them pretty much all the time. The 1.67 lenses will probably be much lighter and more comfortable to wear. However, I'm concerned that the 1.67 lenses will be too thin to be grooved.

My prescription:

Right:
    sphere: -3.250
    cylinder: -0.750
    axis: 172

Left:
    sphere: -1.500
    cylinder: -0.250
    axis: 180

Occupation
    Optical Retail

1.6 or Trivex grind

Dave,

My idea in this case would be to use 1.6 index or a Trivex. It might be a good idea to have the lenses ground (rather than use stock lenses) as they might end up a little thin and could chip. Also on these types of frames, the groove width and sometimes the depth needs to be increased. Your right Rx might be high enough to get away with a stock lens but I think the left would be too thin for this frame.

My 2c

Trev D ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would agree with needing to have them ground. The left lens certainly would be too thin and fragile in a standard stock lens.

Personally, I would go for the polycarbonate. Most people have little if any problems with this material in your script. I have seen knicks in 1.67 along the front of rimless and inline frames from people hitting the frontside edge.. Of course if they were being a bit more careful, maybe that wouldn't be an issue.

Cassandra

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

your concerns about optical quality...

The higher the abbe value, the lower the amount of chromatic aberration.

Polycarb Abbe = 31
    1.60 Abbe = 36
    1.67 Abbe = 32
    Trivex by Younger Abbe = 45
    Phoenix by Hoya Abbe = 43

Not sure if my numbers are exact since it is past my bed time. I am pretty sure if they are not, someone here will correct me. :shiner:

P.S. Amazing that you are purchasing 1.67 lenses for a total of $70.00 YIKES!!. <--for that price, I would be questioning the quality of the lenses that they are using.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    What Trevor said + the 1.67 probably won't be $70 if they have to be surfaced.
    Snitgirl- Looks pretty good to me.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are those with A/R?

I certainly hope so since to gain the true benefits of the 1.67 material it needs to be paired with an anti-reflective coating.

$70---WOW, that is how much some places charge for just an A/R coat.

Cassandra

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Poly has gotten a bad rap, but honestly millions of people including me wear it with no problems. Ask them if they make it in poly and you have any problems with it what will they do. I bet less then 1% of people have problems wearing it.

Trivex would be ideal for your situation, but I don't know if you can get Trivex at Costcos. The material is very strong, very light, and has good optics. It isn't as thin as poly or 1.67 but it should be fine in your rx.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Poly has gotten a bad rap, but honestly millions of people including me wear it with no problems. Ask them if they make it in poly and you have any problems with it what will they do. I bet less then 1% of people have problems wearing it.
    I will take it one step further. I bet more people in the industry have problems with it versus all of the consumers who have worn it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I just called Costco, and the polycarbonate lenses cost $45, and the anti-glare coating will cost $30. If I have any problems with the lenses, they can be replaced or returned within 30 days of the purchase date. Do you think that I should go with the polycarbonate lenses? Happylady and For-Life made me reconsider poly lenses. Maybe these lenses just have a bad rap? With poly lenses, my biggest concerns are the optical quality compared to other lens materials and its resistance to scratches.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Are those with A/R?
    No, A/R would cost an additional $30.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What AR is it? I think the Costco near me uses Crizal brand AR. If you are getting Crizal then you are getting an Essilor polycarb lens. I use this lens often with no problems at all. Crizal is one of the best ARs around. It is worth paying a little more if needed to get it.

It is very scratch resistant, but of course not scratch proof. There is regular Crizal and the newer Crizal Alize. The Crizal Alize has an extra layer on it that makes it very slick and easier to keep clean. Ask which you are getting and ask what the warranty is.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My suggestion would be not to buy this piece of crap. After your lab tosses a couple of pair of lenses and finally gets it out to you, the labs problem is over. If you don't chip it adjusting it your customer WILL be back in a month or two with chips all over the lenses. If you guys would smartin' up and quit buying these poorly designed products, they would qiut desinging them and save the lab and your customers all the problems. (Oh yea, and it'd save you the problems too.)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What AR is it? I think the Costco near me uses Crizal brand AR. If you are getting Crizal then you are getting an Essilor polycarb lens. I use this lens often with no problems at all. Crizal is one of the best ARs around. It is worth paying a little more if needed to get it.

It is very scratch resistant, but of course not scratch proof. There is regular Crizal and the newer Crizal Alize. The Crizal Alize has an extra layer on it that makes it very slick and easier to keep clean. Ask which you are getting and ask what the warranty is.
    Can you get vluxes at costco?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    My suggestion would be not to buy this piece of crap. After your lab tosses a couple of pair of lenses and finally gets it out to you, the labs problem is over. If you don't chip it adjusting it your customer WILL be back in a month or two with chips all over the lenses. If you guys would smartin' up and quit buying these poorly designed products, they would qiut desinging them and save the lab and your customers all the problems. (Oh yea, and it'd save you the problems too.)
    I don't understand this post. Please explain what you mean.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you get vluxes at costco?
    I don't work for Cosco, but I believe they sell Ovation as almost their only progressive. I think they use Image in some of their polerized progressives. Ovation is made by the same company as Varilux, but it is not the same lens. I have heard some opticians will tell patients/customers that they are made by the same company indicating that they are very similar.

Well, Toyota makes both the Corolla and the Lexus and while they are both nice cars, they certainly aren't the same car. The same for the Varilux and the Ovation. I have also heard opticians say that the Natural and the Comfort are the same lens, but they aren't.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    What AR is it? I think the Costco near me uses Crizal brand AR.
    Sorry, I don't know what A/R Costco uses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't work for Cosco, but I believe they sell Ovation as almost their only progressive. I think they use Image in some of their polerized progressives. Ovation is made by the same company as Varilux, but it is not the same lens. I have heard some opticians will tell patients/customers that they are made by the same company indicating that they are very similar.

Well, Toyota makes both the Corolla and the Lexus and while they are both nice cars, they certainly aren't the same car. The same for the Varilux and the Ovation. I have also heard opticians say that the Natural and the Comfort are the same lens, but they aren't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you say Varilux, do I assume you mean Panamic?

When Natural was released, and later when Ovation came to the market, I heard that this was a marketing excersise by Essilor to get their Comfort and Panamic lenses into areas that were not exclusive 'Varilux' strongholds.
    You have to admit that the lenses are very similar, I don't have the equipment to check PAL differences, but over the years I have been supplied a couple of times with a Right Comfort and Left Natural when a base curve was on B/O

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dave191
    No, A/R would cost an additional $30.
    With the 1.67 material you will experience more reflections, and less light will enter the eye. So while it may reduce the possbility of chromatic abberation, the vision won't be crisp.

I still stand by polycarbonate, especially for an inline frame. I have dealt with this exact frame many times, and any time I didn't use poly, it was back within a month for chipping.

Cassandra

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, I don't know what A/R Costco uses.
    Ask what they use. It is worth paying a bit extra for Crizal.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you say Varilux, do I assume you mean Panamic?

When Natural was released, and later when Ovation came to the market, I heard that this was a marketing excersise by Essilor to get their Comfort and Panamic lenses into areas that were not exclusive 'Varilux' strongholds.
    You have to admit that the lenses are very similar, I don't have the equipment to check PAL differences, but over the years I have been supplied a couple of times with a Right Comfort and Left Natural when a base curve was on B/O
    When I say Varilux I mean both the Comfort and the Panamic.

According to a Progressive Lens Chart that I have that lists characteristics of different progressives the Panamic is very soft and the Ovation is semi soft. It is not the same lens.

The Natural is similar to the Panamic but is not the same, either. The channel of the Comfort is 2 mm shorter then the Natural.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't understand this post. Please explain what you mean.
    Looks pretty clear to me. In short it will save you problems if you don't but frames that are of this design. If your patient is not happy in the short or long run, I don't believe you will be happy for long. (But maybe you work in a large enough city to provide a constant flo of new customers.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Ask what they use. It is worth paying a bit extra for Crizal.
    I just called Costco. They only offer one type of A/R coating, and the salesperson didn't know who the maker of the coating was.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Looks pretty clear to me. In short it will save you problems if you don't but frames that are of this design. If your patient is not happy in the short or long run, I don't believe you will be happy for long. (But maybe you work in a large enough city to provide a constant flo of new customers.)
    We sell tons of metal groove frames IC Berlin, Mykita, Eyewitness, with no issues when done in either 1.6 or Trivex.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just called Costco. They only offer one type of A/R coating, and the salesperson didn't know who the maker of the coating was.
    dave191- sad, don't you think, that you asked a very simple easy question and they didn't know?

Why are you buying your glasses at Costco (large chain) and not from an Independent Optician? I have nothing against Costco, and I am not taking a stab at anyone. I truly just want to know the reason, especially since it seems you are particular about your glasses/vision and want the best options.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    dave191- sad, don't you think, that you asked a very simple easy question and they didn't know?

Why are you buying your glasses at Costco (large chain) and not from an Independent Optician? I have nothing against Costco, and I am not taking a stab at anyone. I truly just want to know the reason, especially since it seems you are particular about your glasses/vision and want the best options.
    Price is the main reason why I'm buying at Costco. I bought glasses from them twice previously and have been happy with them both times.

Thread Information