Thread: ...and what about nosepads?

OptiBoard Apprentice

...and what about nosepads?

I've asked about Transitions and other photochromic lenses. I've asked about AR coatings. But the number one question on my mind as a consumer of eye care expertise and products is this: what's going on with the nose pads?

For the past several months (beginning, oddly enough, on December 25 last year), I've had a nosepad break about every two months. These are plastic nosepads, with a stem that fits into a socket on the nosepiece of metal frames; a small screw holds the stem in place. I've probably used the frames about six years total, alternating with an identical pair, and this had never happened before. Now the nosepads are breaking off from the stem at regular intervals.

I am aware of one environmental factor that might contribute to the problem. I have become more active than I used to be, so the nosepieces are exposed to significantly more sweat than they were a few years ago. Could this make the plastic brittle? If so, are better, more durable nosepads available?

Can anyone offer any other explanations or suggestions?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get metal or titanium, they won't feel as good but they will last.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a metal aviator style frame that I have been wearing for many years (too many years, to be honest about it ...).

When I first got it, it had nosepads like what you are describing. But after I had some trouble wearing it (I don't even remember what the problem was exactly, anymore ...) the optician replaced the nosepads with something that I think would be called "a snap-in nosepiece" -- or perhaps a "saddle bridge", although I am not sure about that "saddle bridge" terminology -- whether it means what I have or means something else.

It is a single piece of hard translucent plastic that sits over the bridge of the nose, wrapping from one side of the nose all the way around to the other side. As best as I can describe it, it looks like the letter "U", inverted, and with the arms angled away from straight, as they would be in the letter "V". (That should clear things up!) I used Google to see if I could find a picture of one on the Internet but I couldn't find one.

As I say, I have worn these frames for years with this hard plastic nosepiece and I have never had any trouble with it. It's been comfortable and durable for me.

I guess it could be called a "molded (plastic) replacement nosepiece".

Maybe one of our opticians here (online) can figure out the proper terminology for what I am describing and advise you further on this.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSpecSo
    beginning, oddly enough, on December 25 ...
    Was that a Monday by any chance?
    http://www.content.loudeye.com/scrip...900&cid=600111
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-23-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    Maybe one of our opticians here (online) can figure out the proper terminology for what I am describing and advise you further on this.
    There are two types. One I've seen called a "comfort" bridge or "fixed" bridge. It's a solid piece of plastic, not adjustable (i.e., the plastic is hard and cannot be moved to adapt to the patient's nose). The other is called a "strap" bridge, and basically looks like a couple of large nosepads connected by a strap of plastic. This one is adjustable because the material is flexible. Strap bridges are easier to install on a generic metal frame. Comfort bridges usually require an adapter of some sort.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Replacing nosepads and screws are probably the two things I do most during the day, other than Optiboard. :D Two things I would suggest. First make sure there isn't any left over plastic from a previous pair. This would make a new pair fit very tight and more prone to breaking. Secondly I would invest in a small eyewear repair kit. (screwdriver to match the screws on your frame (flat and phillips heads), eyewire, hinge and nosepads screws and nosepads.) Your optician should be able to package something up for you. Alternately, like others have mentioned, are nosepads of different materials (glass, titanium), but my personal preference are silicon pads and they often require frequent replacement. I will also add, in most cases we don't charge for new pads.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's the proliferation of those dang silicone nosepads! With small frames, it seems as though a lot of manufacturers went with those 9mm button silicone nose pads, which rip way too easily.

The major nosepad supplier in the US (Hilco) has replacement pads that most use, and they are just way too flexible and soft. Yes, they're healthier, but I think the max life is about 6 mo. Too much work IMO.

I'm more into the old fashioned acetate or "vinylon".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thanks for all responses. I think I understand the problem now. When I got my new prescription, last year, my frames were fitted with nosepads that I found entirely unsatisfactory. They were so soft and pliable that they didn't distribute the weight of the spectacles over the surface area. The center of the nosepads, under the stem, bore all the weight. They were very uncomfortable.

I asked for, and got, nosepads that were stiffer, and much more comfortable. But I suppose, logically, stiffer also means brittle.

I'll look into more durable materials, as well as the possibility of repairing them myself. My ECP has been very good about replacing the nosepads, but they usually break on a weekend or holiday, and I'd rather not go a day or two with the broken end of the stem stabbing me. :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical Dynamics offers silicon nosepads that they swear will not discolor or turn green. I just got a call about it yesterday and have not tried them. I often replace discolored silicon pads with soft vinyl pads when patients come in with them looking nasty.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also note: About half the time I have a nose pad comfort complaint, the problem is not the nose pads, either the patient or an incompetent optician has bent the temples down so much that they pull on the back of the ear, causing the nose pads to pull into the nose. Temples (except cables and riding bows) should not even touch the back of the ear.

Chip:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I often replace discolored silicon pads with soft vinyl pads when patients come in with them looking nasty.
    Silicone is Silicone,,,,,,,,,,,,if one looks nasty the other ones will also look nasty

Thread Information