Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lencrafters FeatherWates® Completes vs Essilor Airwear with Crizal Alize

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question scotchguard = teflon?

Do you think the scothchguard is the same as a teflon coating? I don't think the teflon coating is as nice as the D'alize or even the alize. It just doesn't seem to bead as well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    D'Alize: whats that dont have a Rep ever come around so dont know the new Essilor products

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mattress
    D'Alize: whats that dont have a Rep ever come around so dont know the new Essilor products
    It is not available in the US. It is Alize with the blue instead of the green residual colour.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two compared to one another (Alize vs scotchgard?). Are they at least similar, or are they completely different? It would seem that the marketing LC has offered on the new scotchgard lens show that it has similar properties to the Alize, SHV or Carat.
    AA
    I have heard that the Cole labs which probably supply these coatings have new equipment made by Satis and also get the supplies from them.

The slick coats in general are all in the same family and originate from very few supply sources. You can easily assume that they are most probably very closely related, with the exception of their given names. Therefore they should all have the same properties with the only one existing exception:

An easy to clean slick coat that also has anti-fog and anti- stat properties.

None of the large local corporation has picked up this one yet and is advertisong it as the latest and fanciest invention they have developed.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-11-2006 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Slick coatings.......................

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

D'alize

D'alize is a step up from the alize and is only available from Dr's offices and maybe small opticals not the big chains like LC and Costco (at least that is how I think it works in Canada).

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    Scotchguard? LoL You have to be kidding me. If your glasses are made of carpeting you may want that, but since we are dealing with clear plastics, I would stick with the Alize'.

Personal opinion: The only glasses that should be made out of Polycabonate are these http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...e_Tumblers.htm

Adam
    Actually, the Crizal and the Scotchguard both have the same chemicals... teflon. The same teflon in your cooking pans and yes, in your couch, car seat, and carpet fabrics. It's how it makes it so easy to clean. Just FYI.

Big Smile Poly w/ teflon AR

Also, Cherry, I've been wearing poly lenses w/ regular AR for over 15 years (I'm a -6.00 OU) and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've probably had 12-13 (or more) Poly AR glasses over that time. But I'm careful with them, which both AR and Poly require because of their softness (AR coat and poly lens).

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by eg31486
    Actually, the Crizal and the Scotchguard both have the same chemicals... teflon. The same teflon in your cooking pans and yes, in your couch, car seat, and carpet fabrics. It's how it makes it so easy to clean. Just FYI.
    I personally have never heard a single Essilor/Varilux rep state that they have the true "TEFLON" in their coating. I do find this very intriuging. I will do some research to find out if their is any falility to this claim. I do however, highly doubt it at this time. They may have a 'TEFLON-LIKE' chemical in their mix?

Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Also, Cherry, I've been wearing poly lenses w/ regular AR for over 15 years (I'm a -6.00 OU) and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've probably had 12-13 (or more) Poly AR glasses over that time. But I'm careful with them, which both AR and Poly require because of their softness (AR coat and poly lens).

Umm.. Ok?

Adam

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

Your assumtion is partly right. The names are only names that they have aquired from whoever has the rights to them.

However the applied product has nothing to do with the product in cooking pans or car seats.

What it does it fills the microscopic gaps between the crystals of the AR coating, therefore preventing dirt from going in between which makes the hard to clean. You know have a filled clean and smooth surface and no dirt penetration.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    Pete,

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two compared to one another (Alize vs scotchgard?). Are they at least similar, or are they completely different? It would seem that the marketing LC has offered on the new scotchgard lens show that it has similar properties to the Alize, SHV or Carat.

AA

Just wanted to bump this because I didn't see an answer anywhere on the forum. What is the difference between Scotchguard and other premium coatings such as Alize or Teflon (other than where you can get them from)?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    From what I understand. Nothing.

Occupation
    The next break through in lenses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

wrinkle free stain resistant AR*

* no warraties on the performance of this product wrinkles may occur and keep away from any solutions known to cause stains.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    From what I understand. Nothing.

That's why nobody answered...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What's the difference between a Cadillac, a Lexus, a Porsche, and a Jaguar- other than where you get them?

All the above cars have similar characteristics (four wheels, leather seats, etc.) and are probably made on similar robotic machines... They aren't the same brand or the same car, however.

Likewise with Crizal Alize with Clear Guard, Teflon, Scotchgard, etc... Naturally, they have similar properties (they are all ARs), and they probably share some similar processes (the hardcoating process for all Crizal products, nearly all Teflon products, and Scotchgard product is dip coat/thermal cure, which is capable of producing a very durable lens). That doesn't mean they are all identical.

That manufacturers make different products which they sell through different channels is not news. Retail accounts for approximately 52% of the eyewear sold in the US. Therefore, it is therefore not particularly surprising that manufacturers would make products for this channel. Essilor happens to make two of the brands in their line of products (Varilux and Crizal) directly available only to private practices. Essilor also spends $ millions to advertise these brands to help create consumer awareness.

Retailers also sell high quality products, such as Zeiss and Scotchgard. Similar products- different brands and different properties.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So what are you saying Pete?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think he's saying that everything is nearly the same, but different only when under a microscope.

-Steve

Occupation
    The front and back AR on LC is different. The idea is that they stock front side only AR lenses. Then they can surface the lens and apply backisde AR in the store for lenses in an hour. From what I understand, the idea works very well. They even apply their own UV hard coat.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    From my experience that is incorrect.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Wasn't that a system that they used years ago? I forget what it was called, but it was done by Sola.

There is a thread about it. The problem was that if you used a rimlon it could split, and it was a little thicker.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    From my experience that is incorrect.
    which part?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Wasn't that a system that they used years ago? I forget what it was called, but it was done by Sola.

There is a thread about it. The problem was that if you used a rimlon it could split, and it was a little thicker.
    They use sputter coaters now I believe. from satisloh.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only some stores in certain areas have access to the Satis coating system. And according to my former sources anyway, it wasn't considered a success to have them there.

Currently the Scotchgard AR is either a finished SV lens in stock or is manufactured by Essilor..

The non Scotchgard are either done using a Satis system if the store has it.. or by one of the central labs.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Only some stores in certain areas have access to the Satis coating system. And according to my former sources anyway, it wasn't considered a success to have them there.

Currently the Scotchgard AR is either a finished SV lens in stock or is manufactured by Essilor..

The non Scotchgard are either done using a Satis system if the store has it.. or by one of the central labs.

Cassandra
    wonder why LC doesn't use Cole as its source for AR? Keep it in the Lux family.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is one of the central procesing facilities they use for non Scotchgard. Scotchgard was developed in conjunction with Essilor. So I am sure there is a contract there for having Essilor produce it for so many years...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information