Thread: Edge polish with rimless-yes or no?

OptiBoard Novice

Edge polish with rimless-yes or no?

While I'm waiting on my glasses that I mentioned in the other thread, I've been thinking about getting a rimless pair too. I like the new Silhouette 7507, 7508, 7509, and 7510 frames.

I was wondering about polished edges. My optician says she doesn't like it with rimless especially and thinks it creates a "glaring ring" under lights when someone looks at you face to face. She also said it can cause issues with reflections from light entering at the side. I've read where others recommend it along with a "roll"? They say it makes the lenses less visible from the side.

I know little about this entire subject. What do most customers go with and what do you recommend?

The lenses would be Hoya 1.70 with the Super Hi-Vision AR since I want the thinnest possible with a rimless and my -3.50 prescription.

Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I think shiny edges look great when others look at you. However I had apair of polycarbs in frames and the shiny edges drove me to distraction (along with the really poor optics generally) especially when watching tv in the dark. However if you have another pair you may be OK.

Rolled edges? I dont like the look of these

BTW. I a newbie here and a customer, not a professional

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Satin, not glossy polish. Works fine.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We make a lot of Screwed rimless jobs, and I stopped the bright polish over a year ago, as Chip rightly says, the satin look is clean and there are far less internal reflections.

Everybody's happy except for those that want a bright polish..... so they get it!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    To Chip and Clive:
    Can you "satin" any lens material? How is it done?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Use pumice flower to polish with. Tape optical surfaces well first.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone color the edges? I have all of the color pens, but, rarely use them. Terry

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I tend to go with the "machine polish" (satin) in most cases. Alternately, if you match the edge with the frame finish you get a more consistent looking pair (high polish with glossy frame, no polich with matte frames). The big drawback I find with the high polish is the increased reflections.

CME,
    I find if the temples are thicker the edge tint looks better than on a thin frame like a Silhouette (it almost looks cheesy). Instead of matching the tint to the frame I like to use a complementary colour, for example a blue edge tint looks really cool with a brown frame.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    Color pens look great IMHO, especially with the plastic-coated Silhouettes.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    To Chip and Clive:
    Can you "satin" any lens material? How is it done?
    I have an electric motor grinder for rough grinding of plastic or metal items. There's a spindle with a stone grinder at one end and a 'mop' at the other which I use for polishing and cleaning acetate frames, or in fact any plastic.
    I have several 'sticks' of ' soap' (from Vigor about 15 years ago) which lubricate the brush, and I just rotate (carefully) the lens edge until I get the finish I want from satin through to shiny

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Frame polisher...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble
    There's a spindle with a stone grinder at one end and a 'mop' at the other which I use for polishing and cleaning acetate frames, or in fact any plastic.
    I have several 'sticks' of ' soap'
    Used to be called a polishing machine. The mop is a polishing wheel. You should have one for plastic and one fpr metal.

In order to polish glass or plastic lens edges you should have a felt wheel. You can achieve any tupe of finishing on that wheel.

Your soap sticks are the different abrasive and polishing wax type sticks. The red one is called "Paris Rouge".

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the responses. The satin polish sounds nice. Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I could find pictures of a side shot of rimless glasses, one of a satin edge and one of a plain, non-polished edge?

Also, my goal with the rimless is to make the glasses as 'invisible' as possible. Of course, that's the point with these glasses as you already know. Would a satin edge create any kind of reflective ring around the lens edge(compared to unpolished) that someone would notice when looking at me, especially under lights in an office, etc?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I think the polished edges look more 'invisible'/attractive to a third party, but for your own comfort? satin (if you find reflections distracting. I find them particularly bad when at the cinema, or driving)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polished edges

I love the look of a polished edge on a rimless. Polished edge from a modern edger and finished with white rouge on a coton wheel gives the brightest finish
    Right off of the machine not quite as shiny for a nice satin finish machine polish and then take a bit of 320 grit sandpaper on your finger tip smooth satin edge

Ed

Thread Information