Thread: FastGrind Harmony progressive lens question

Occupation
    Optometrist

FastGrind Harmony progressive lens question

I'm looking into purchasing a FastGrind system to surface lenses and was wondering if anybody out there knows what the Harmony progressive lens is equivelent to.

The sales rep tells me it's a rebranded "generic" version of some other progressive and that you can tell what it really is by looking at the markings on the lens. Their website compares the distortion map of the regular Harmony lens to a Varilux Comfort while the short-corridor Harmony lens distortion map is compared to something labelled "Compact."

I'm probably going to just request that they send me a lens blank so I can look at it myself but I was just curious if any of you had any knowledge about it.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    I'm looking into purchasing a FastGrind system to surface lenses and was wondering if anybody out there knows what the Harmony progressive lens is equivelent to.

The sales rep tells me it's a rebranded "generic" version of some other progressive and that you can tell what it really is by looking at the markings on the lens. Their website compares the distortion map of the regular Harmony lens to a Varilux Comfort while the short-corridor Harmony lens distortion map is compared to something labelled "Compact."

I'm probably going to just request that they send me a lens blank so I can look at it myself but I was just curious if any of you had any knowledge about it.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve
    I dont want to get libellous but I would make very sure the FastGrind system is the one for you. Most of the comments I have heard with regard to it have been derogatory.

Best regards,
    Rick

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've done some searching here and have a hard time determining what's bad about it. Other than prism thinning issues with progressives and the inability to do polycarbonate/hyperindex with it, it seems to be a decent option for our office.

Other people seem to have been concerned that it can only do certain brands of progressives. I haven't received an info packet yet so I don't know exactly what brands it can and can't do.

As far as back surface coating goes, I'll try to buy a used UV cure hard coat machine if there's one out there. About 70% of our jobs have a scratch coat/warranty on them. Of course, we charge for that so it wouldn't take long to pay that off with the extra fee for it.

Although, my goal today is to see what I can get a used blocker/generator and all the necessary stuff for in terms of cost. At least that way, I can have more flexibility.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster

Although, my goal today is to see what I can get a used blocker/generator and all the necessary stuff for in terms of cost. At least that way, I can have more flexibility.
    I would certainly go down that route if you have the space.
    From what I can gather the preblocked lens blanks you would use on this system are significantly more expensive then you are limited by what lenses are available.
    Also with a generator you have more control over thickness and blank size, produce elliptical blanks for varis and where you have horizontal plus cyl etc.
    I expect Fastgrind has its place but I would be frustrated by its limitations. Unless of course I am mistaken with the above.

Rick

Thread Information