Thread: Elision retrofit to Horizon II

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Elision retrofit to Horizon II

Has anyone on this board taken an Optronics Horizon II edger and had Elision retrofit it for patternless? If so, how much did it cost and how well does it work? We're going to trace-and-transfer in this office soon, and since we will then have a tracer (an Optronics), I'm wondering if it makes sense for us to take our old Horizon II and retrofit it as well.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    Has anyone on this board taken an Optronics Horizon II edger and had Elision retrofit it for patternless? If so, how much did it cost and how well does it work? We're going to trace-and-transfer in this office soon, and since we will then have a tracer (an Optronics), I'm wondering if it makes sense for us to take our old Horizon II and retrofit it as well.
    Andrew,

I owned a Horizon II which I sold about 6 months ago. I looked into the retrofit unit from Elision and spoke to their sales rep. It's really not worth it financially. I sold the Horizon II and purchased a Essilor/Gerber Coburn Gamma Patternless System which is an amazing system. I purchased this entire system for much less than the retrofit system itself. I looked for the package with prices but couldn't find it so I can't give you an exact figure, but I'd call Elision and they'll send you out a complete package showing the unit and the prices.

Again my opinion is that this is really not as good of a solution as buying a nice used patternless system and avoid the retrofit headache. I also wish I would have kept the Horizon II for rimless jobs to free up the patternless system from theses jobs. For the amount of money you will be able to get for the Horizon II and the cost of shipping it, you might as well keep it as either a backup or like I said to use for rimless jobs.

Just my two cents!!

Thread Information