Thread: Cannot win for loosing

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier Cannot win for loosing

Just when I thought I had found the best optician in San Antonio, went to pick up my glasses--- he is gone!!! He went back to school to become a P.E. teacher. Oh well, good for him and bad for me. His replacement is still learning. I have referred three of my friends and a neighbor to the shop, only because of him. Most of my painting club members are older and really want to see well enough to continue painting. They have money and still cannot get a good pair of glasses. Now he is gone and the replacement just does not have his experience.

Just loveeeee the Definity lens it is the best PAL I have ever had.(been using them for about 14 years) I am so glad I ordered two pair; she could not fit the Silhouette. She has it sitting on my nose like a pair of half glasses. She said the far vision is too high, But she does not know how to fix it. Said she could cut off some of the bottom however, I would loose my reading area. You all know what to do, please tell me so I can tell her. I think these Silhouettes are best left for single vision.

Murralis

P.S. I am serious.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re-do....................

Quote Originally Posted by murralis
    She has it sitting on my nose like a pair of half glasses. She said the far vision is too high, But she does not know how to fix it. Said she could cut off some of the bottom however, I would loose my reading area. Murralis
    Looks like a very simple case. They took the wrong measurent or the lab applied the wrong measurement. Therfore your expensive lenses are not and can not be properly fitted.

Let them bite into the sour apple and make them re-do the lenses properly.

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    I'm with Chris. Surely you paid a pretty penny. They should have no problem replacing the lenses at no charge to you. It sounds like an obvious mistake on the part of your new optician or the lab.

Do you hear that echo?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Two questions

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Looks like a very simple case. They took the wrong measurent or the lab applied the wrong measurement. Therfore your expensive lenses are not and can not be properly fitted.

Let them bite into the sour apple and make them re-do the lenses properly.
    The store has told me I can bring them back and they will cut new glasses however; the tech said she was not comfortable with this Silhouette, hinge less, rimless frame, and three pieces for PALs. She said they are not made for pals, and they are only going to fill them with single vision prescriptions from now on. They want me to pick a new frame with a lens size of 50. They do not have much of a selection and I want titanium. I have two questions will stainless steal turn green? What suggestions do you have in picking a frame For PAL/

Murralis

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The store has told me I can bring them back and they will cut new glasses however; the tech said she was not comfortable with this Silhouette, hinge less, rimless frame, and three pieces for PALs. She said they are not made for pals, and they are only going to fill them with single vision prescriptions from now on. They want me to pick a new frame with a lens size of 50. They do not have much of a selection and I want titanium. I have two questions will stainless steal turn green? What suggestions do you have in picking a frame For PAL/

Murralis
    How can the Silhoutte frame not be made for PALs???

The first place I would look is size, but since you can make those lenses any size you want there is no problem.

The second the I would look at is lens material. A drill mount should be done in poly, trivex, or 1.67, but you can do that with a PAL and a single vision lens.

Sounds like you got someone who has no idea what she is talking about.

Bad address email on file
    I agree with for-life on this... there is not a problem in fitting a progressive into a drilled rimless frame providing that you chose the correct materials and shape of lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Still not winning

I know this frame should work I have seen many people with them, and all kinds of lens shapes. This is one of two shops in this town that sells Definity. Was headed to the other one and my husband missed the exit on the freeway, we ended up at this one. I love the lenses so much I can get over everything that is happining, just have to find some frames she can work with. The 2nd pair of glasses fit fine only a little heavy they are stainless steel and a little dressy for everyday (rhinestones on them). I wanted these rimless for everyday. They do not cut the lenses at that shop because of the Gemcoat (love it also). The first young man to help me was a long time Optician and said he was going to cut them and make them larger than the blank in the frame. He called and said the lab would be cutting them because of this special new Gemcoat. As I said earlier, he is gone now. The girl there is just learning. I also need to know if stainless steel turns green?

Murralis

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Usually, what turns green on a metal frame is the copper in the metal alloy(think the Statue of Liberty or an old penny), So a truly stainless steel frame should not turn green. However, the nosepad screws and other smaller hardware like nuts and bolts are not often made of stainless steel on these frames, so they may indeed turn green if subjected to the proper conditions.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Stainless.......................................

. I have two questions will stainless steal turn green? What suggestions do you have in picking a frame For PAL/
    Murralis
    Stailess steel will and should not oxydise. One can also simply apply a protective sealer to any frame that prevents it from doing that.

Youw ould be better off to have a frame that is one piece which makes it easier to get a good job.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    PAl in a rimless, no problem. I am wearing Ipseo lenses in a Marchon Airlock with a total lens depth of 28mm. I have no problem at all with the vision whatsoever. Go back to the practice get a refund and find someone who knows what they are talking about.

Lewy

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do we want to feed the Beast?

Please pardon me madam because you may have a complaint, but as a buisness we have to ask ourselves at what expense.

Reading your past posts you were happy in a lined bifocal. Then somewhat happy in progresives (after it was redone). Did this optician refund your money?

Enter your new optician-

Now you bought the latest and greatest (Definity) but need to redo the drilled rimless because you can't see as you expect to.

We the "pro's" on line jump in and say how you should talk to the new inexpierienced optican. Your favorite Optician apparently left the profession shortly after dealing with you (sorry if this sounds cruel but I suspect he spent several hours working with you because of the info you gleaned here, saw you coming, and ran away). Now we recommend the job be redone at considerable expense for free by an optician who isn't as good. Lucky her!

Any chance you can ask this greenhorn to also come on line and join this discussion?

My suspicion is you as an artist view the world different from most of us. That's what makes you an artist! However how would you feel if I bought a painting from you and then asked that it was a little different from my natural vision and you should redo it until I'm happy for the original price?

Unfortunately if you're not willing to accept that your vision may vary through different glasses (hard truth now), when all is said and done with a patient like you, we cannot make a profit and we find a way to make you move on.

Good luck in your quest to have all your glasses "perfect".

Thread Information