Thread: For the younger opticians out there...

For the younger opticians out there...

and some of the older ones...

Do you ever wish that you needed bifocals just so that you could find out the big deal between lined lenses and no-lines? I often feel uncomfortable explaining the differences for the sheer lack of experience on the subject. i know all about the different viewing areas and the pitfalls of both types, but since i can't put myself in the patient's shoes, i feel leary of trying to persuade one way or the other. i have gone so far as to try progressives on just to see wear the aberrations start, but since i have no need for near or reading, the most important part is lost on me. share your thoughts and feelings

joey

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm 27 and my OD said that I could use .75 add but by no means was it necessary. I was kind of psyched I hate explaining progressives with no first hand knowledge. I got me a pair of Shamir's and I learned quite a bit from that experience. I don't wear them much because they give me headaches.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jose2K: There are drops that will relax your accomodaation, some of them last weeks at a time if you really want to know.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Jose2K: There are drops that will relax your accomodaation, some of them last weeks at a time if you really want to know.
    I have to second Chip. At that stage you can try them both with a good addition of around 2.00D and the make you own expirience.

thx, i will look into that. i was also thinking of seeing about making a pair that would basically neutralize at the bottom for me, that was i wouldn't notice anything at the bottom.

joey

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I wouldn't do that cycloplegia, if I were you. It's not a valid simulation of presbyopia, by any means.

Try a -3.00 soft lens overcorrection, and then go with a +2.00 add. That'll fix your wagon.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am 21 and My OD at work saw me squinting at the computer when I was billing about a month ago and gave me some readers over my -7.00 contacts, apparantly I have some eso. I still cant come close to the PAL experience. I might end up with them this year though, for when I dont have the CL s in. It is hard to explain...I mean I KNOW what to say, but I havent experienced it you know? it is tough. And anyone more than 5 years older than me look at me like I have no idea what I am doing, meanwhile I have older co workers coming to me with lens questions. Go figure.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    A few days ago I joked about being disappointed that I didn't have any of the swimmy feeling that some people report when I got my first progressives, because now I couldn't tell people it took two weeks to get used to them.

But seriously, there's no way to personally experience all of the issues that people can have with new lenses, because some of them are mutually exclusive. For example if your first pair of multifocals are progressives, you can never see what it's like to switch from flat-tops to progressives. If you're myopic, you can't experience what a hyperope would go through. Then there's
    starting right away versus putting it off until you're starting out with a +2.50 add.

But as long as you're aware that everyone's milage varies, you can avoid having your patient come back and hit you with her purse.;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Hang it on the wall........................

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Hutch
    But as long as you're aware that everyone's milage varies, you can avoid having your patient come back and hit you with her purse.;)
    Your whole post was a good and fair statement and all Optiboarders should copy it, frame it and hang it on the wall over their desk.

I don't know if its so much a desire to directly relate with a patient as it is the ability to say i've been there. it's like hearing your grandpa talk about the war and you sit there amazed, but you know that the only way to directly relate is being there. and that's where i have the problem. these people come in fighting their battles, and it feels like all i can do is offer empty encouragement. they know you haven't been in their shoes, and they know you don't completely understand. and right there you lose that personal connection, and a younger optician can feel it. they just stare at you as if to say "fix it," and all you can do is say "good luck." i can adjust the crap outta progressives, and they make me fit most everybody because im good at it. but when they just can't do it, i feel bad. i know there's only so much i can help them with, and with no experience wearing the lens, the only advice i can give is second hand. and because of the "dime-a-dozen" opticians out there today, we have lost a lot of respect from our customers.

joey

Occupation
    Joey said:

Do you ever wish that you needed bifocals just so that you could find out the big deal between lined lenses and no-lines? I often feel uncomfortable explaining the differences for the sheer lack of experience on the subject.”

Hey . . . while you’re at it why don’t you wish for a prostate the size of a Buick. Or how about arthritis so bad that you have to get shoes that fasten with freaking Velcro. Why not spend a few months on the Ornish diet so that you don’t croak from a heart attack or stroke. Then there’s diverticulitis, dyspepsia and dementia.

And, visually, presbyopia is the least of your worries. Go down to the ghetto and score some crystal meth. Trip out for a month or so. This will give you an appreciation for macular degeneration and nystagmus.

It’s a real mother trying to feel someone else’s pain ain’t it?

i got half of those already, and besides, im just trying to help with eyes, the other stuff can be left to the other professionals.

joey

p.s. that meth don't play =)

Thread Information