Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I find a great optician for my shop?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Blue Jumper How do I find a great optician for my shop?

Please don't get insulted if I say that I have been entirely unable to find a really good optician for my O.D practice in southern calif. I have had 3 very marginal ones and am looking earnestly for a superb optician that can solo manage my optical shop for the next 15 years (10 jobs per day).:cheers: I am willing to pay handsomely and would like to get advice as to what constitutes a superb optician. Here are my criteria:

-The person should have an exhaustive understanding of the optical principles behind everything that we sell as well as a thorough grasp of the practical aspects of all options, lens materials, frames etc. This implies at least 5 yrs work exp and ABO training.

-Person should be truly energetic, outgoing and with awesome communication skills. Must make the patient as excited and enthusiastic about the products as we are. Must be able to clearly, scientifically yet enthusiastically explain all options to result in outstanding sales.

-Person must be able to do VSP computer billing, lab orders, frames selections and inventory management in their sleep.

-Must have a sense of beauty, fashion, elegance and business combined. Patients should be provided with beautiful frames that are sturdy, fashionable and ideal for their situation while maximizing profits. Person should be able to effortlessly fit, adjust, fix and manipulate those frames and lenses. Patients should be routinely thrilled with their new glasses.

-Person must have a complete understanding of the business elements involved in dealing with surfacing labs, uncut lens houses, frame vendors etc. Must have a mania for not allowing themselves to get ripped off by any of these entities. Must be obsessed by turnover time and providing exceptional customer service.

-Person must fully understand that in a high end boutique patients are paying a high premium for these services and they deserve the very best.

Do such opticians exist? Is this unreasonable? HOW DO I FIND THEM??:hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to the lab and hire away the benchman.
    Be prepared to pay at least $1000.00 a week for all the things you desire.

OptiBoard Novice
    idoctor I feel your pain. I have been looking for just an "average" optician in north San Diego for over 5 months and they don't exist. I got lucky two years ago by hiring one of my top producers from a Sam Club. She has exceptional customer service skill also.

Talk to your frame reps in your area. They are in your competitors offices and sometimes can pass the word that you are looking. Your reps also know you and your standards so they can help with that perfect fit.

Good luck and I'd will be glad to talk to any of your rejects at this point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish you much luck, I advise that when you find the perfect optician, your requirements being excellent that you treat him or her as the superb optician they will be. I say from experience that excellense will continut when you are appreciative and considerate. If you get so comfortable with there excellence that it becomes expected more and appreciated less then you may find yourself looking for another optician. So after all this bable I just say that when you find that awesome person, treat them well, appreciate them and happy opticalling to you.

CIndy

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Thanks folks. By the way, do you think it would be obnoxious to test this person's knowledge of their field? The last optician I hired was "Oh yeah, this is easy...I've been doing this for 10 years...Sure, no problem....I've lot's of experience with that etc ". He knew absolutely nothing. Problem is that I didn't really know that he knew nothing because I knew a little less than him. However, at this point I know a lot more and am able to figure out through pointed question how much they know:

- Which of the following would you use for a rimless drillmount? CR39, Poly, 1.56, 1.60, Trivex, Glass?
    -Which has a higher abbe value CR39 or Poly? What is this?
    -When would you do a slab off? What is a slab off?
    -Describe the difference between uncut, semifinished etc
    -would you use uncut stock lenses on a -8 or +8 job? Why?
    -Does cr39 inherently have UV coating? How about Poly? How about 1.67?
    -What kind of progressives do you use for different seg heights?
    -What kind of frames are best for high myopes, high hyperopes, sports, kids etc. What kinds of lens materials for these people? Coatings?
    -Describe how you explain photochromics to patients? Polarized? AR coating?

By the way, my optician still doesn't know the answer to these. This time I'll get 50 of these type of annoying questions and plug away hard. I know it's obnoxious but with what I'm paying I really expect the very best.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idoctor
    Thanks folks. By the way, do you think it would be obnoxious to test this person's knowledge of their field? The last optician I hired was "Oh yeah, this is easy...I've been doing this for 10 years...Sure, no problem....I've lot's of experience with that etc ". He knew absolutely nothing. Problem is that I didn't really know that he knew nothing because I knew a little less than him. However, at this point I know a lot more and am able to figure out through pointed question how much they know:

- Which of the following would you use for a rimless drillmount? CR39, Poly, 1.56, 1.60, Trivex, Glass?
    -Which has a higher abbe value CR39 or Poly? What is this?
    -When would you do a slab off? What is a slab off?
    -Describe the difference between uncut, semifinished etc
    -would you use uncut stock lenses on a -8 or +8 job? Why?
    -Does cr39 inherently have UV coating? How about Poly? How about 1.67?
    -What kind of progressives do you use for different seg heights?
    -What kind of frames are best for high myopes, high hyperopes, sports, kids etc. What kinds of lens materials for these people? Coatings?
    -Describe how you explain photochromics to patients? Polarized? AR coating?

By the way, my optician still doesn't know the answer to these. This time I'll get 50 of these type of annoying questions and plug away hard. I know it's obnoxious but with what I'm paying I really expect the very best.
    I think those are great questions to ask and any optician should have the correct answer. You are not being obnoxious at all. The person you have working for you that does not know this stuff, is not an optician.
    And let me get this srtaight,,,you have 3 "opticians" and you do 10 jobs a day? I did that myself today. I also billed a couple of insurances and edged 7 jobs! Where are you located in Ca? And sorry I'm not available.

just to give you some insight on hiring somebody from a wal-mart... our answers may vary slightly. this is one thing i found annoying when studying for the ABO. i had to unlearn many things that i was taught, that weren't necessarily bad, but not altogether correct either. in wal-mart we use poly or 1.67 in rimless, but we only recently had trivex added, which i am told is awesome. but i can't order it. so, if you happen to find someone at a wal-mart, keep in mind we have a certain amount corporate brain-washing that may need to be undone in private-practice life. but you will usually get an awesome salesperson from us =)

joey

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    And let me get this srtaight,,,you have 3 "opticians" and you do 10 jobs a day? I did that myself today. I also billed a couple of insurances and edged 7 jobs! Where are you located in Ca? And sorry I'm not available.[/QUOTE]

Sorry,
    I did not make myself clear. I only have one optician at a time. However, I've had 3 over the years. We do about 1600 jobs/year and work 4 days/wk. It averages to about 10 jobs per day. It's a solo job and the optician manages it alone (no edging on premises). The last person I hired was not certified but claimed 10 years experience etc. I think from now on I will insist on ABO.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And let me get this srtaight,,,you have 3 "opticians" and you do 10 jobs a day? I did that myself today. I also billed a couple of insurances and edged 7 jobs! Where are you located in Ca? And sorry I'm not available.
    Sorry,
    I did not make myself clear. I only have one optician at a time. However, I've had 3 over the years. We do about 1600 jobs/year and work 4 days/wk. It averages to about 10 jobs per day. It's a solo job and the optician manages it alone (no edging on premises). The last person I hired was not certified but claimed 10 years experience etc. I think from now on I will insist on ABO.[/QUOTE]

Years ago I worked for an optician in Santa Barbara, we hired an optician who had worked for an OD for 23 years. So, he says he had 23 years experience. We figured he was the perfect fit for our office. In about 3 days we figured it out! He had 1 year of experience 23 times! So, I say ask all of those questions that you mentioned.

You need an optical manager

You stated that you need someone to "manage your optical". So you don't need just an optician, but a vice-president or COO with optical experience. You are asking (hoping?) for a lot when you ask an optician for look out for your bottom line and your patients. The problem is most of these highly qualified people already work for themselves as independent opticians. If you could find one, you couldn't afford them. I think Chris is right, it would cost you $1000/week, maybe more in California, plus profit sharing.

I haven't talked to an optometrist that doesn't have the same issue. And your situation isn't unique to optometry, it's a management issue. Could you imagine the CEO of a company spending 7 out of 8 hours every day in a dark room, with the door closed? Except that is exactly what optometrists do every day of the week. And in many cases they don't know what goes on out there, and don't have the time to train or provide constant feedback. I'm not being critical of your management skills, just observing how hard it is for any doctor to also be a manager.

I don't think you are going to be able to hire someone suitable. You may find someone acceptable, but not stellar. It IS possible to hire someone and then make them into what you want. I think you will need to spend time training someone and then make them a parter with a profit-sharing plan. You are, after all asking them to manage approximately 1/2 of your gross receipts and most of your variable costs. Their interests must be aligned with yours.

My advice - hire your spouse. I know it's not always possible, but I have noticed that it is a successful business model for optometrists, dentists, vets, M.D.s, and many other professional service businesses such as accounting.

With all that said, you need to know my story. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a MS in Environmental Engineering and 12 years experience as a Combustion engineer. My job? I'm an optician and office manager for my wife, the O.D. Experience-wise, I'm not the least bit qualified, but I always have my boss's best interest in mind.

oops

I'm sorry, I meant CHIP is right, not Chris.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Opticans test to manage your lens and frames

In addition to your questions you propose, I would want the optican to also know the difference between properly applied AR. That is AR that is applied to specific lenses with a standard that has been tested. Today AR is becoming generic in some opticans minds and it is not. The same AR produced in the same vacuum chamber will peal or flake of one poly lens while bonding for life to another. The reason is the surface preparation; the backside hardcoatings can and the original front side hard coatings applied, can make the difference in how the AR performs.

An optican that does know the difference needs to know how to profit from this knowledge and it is not by just ordering the least expensive AR.
    I do not think that you want your optican who appears to be saving you money on the front end, actually costing you 6 months later, when you have to replace the AR that flakes and peels that he said saved you money. And if this optician only lasts 4 months and you have a monthly incentive plan based on profit, the only one making the profit later will have been the optician you though was saving you money. There is a reason AR costs vary by up to 3 times in price and the most expensive may not be the most expensive in the long run.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    idoctor,

As far as knowing if the candidate is feeding you a line of BS or not...

If I hire anyone (janitor, receptionist, optician...) I have them work for me for at least a day, often more. I tell them that it is for their good as well as mine. I offer them a standard industry wage (usually less than my final offer will be) and tell them to see how they like working for us, and we'll see how we like working with them. After that, if they work out, I make them an offer. I recently did this with someone that was very qualified, but afer 2 days, it was obvious to me (not him), that our personalties were not compatible. He moved on, and I tried 2 more people before I found our latest hire. It takes a little longer, but OH does it work! The most valuable part is the feedback I get from the rest of the staff during the trial period. It's like a 2 day interview with the entire staff involved.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    where in California are you located?

Sorry,
    I did not make myself clear. I only have one optician at a time. However, I've had 3 over the years. We do about 1600 jobs/year and work 4 days/wk. It averages to about 10 jobs per day. It's a solo job and the optician manages it alone (no edging on premises). The last person I hired was not certified but claimed 10 years experience etc. I think from now on I will insist on ABO.[/QUOTE]

Occupation
    With all this emphasis on formal education and training here on the OptiBoard why don’t you contact faculty members at the various opticianry programs and see if they can refer you to any graduates who may be looking. You will certainly get someone who knows their cookies from a technical standpoint. Start you search here www.nfos.org .

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hate to disagree with mamma'slittlehelper. But absolutely positivily do not hire you spouse. The old adage that many of us have had to learn the hard way: "Never sleep with the help." Definitely applies even more if you are married to them.

How you gonna tell your spouse or anyone you are deeply involved with: "Hell no you can't have the day off. I don't care what you think the office appearance or proceedures should be. You can't spend time on the phone for all this damn personal stuff. I don't care if it is your mother, get back to work."

Trust me, my wife is over a year behind on filing insurance claims. Her hours get shorter and shorter and most of them in the office are spent on the phone with the Methodist Church, her friends and family, or playing with the damn computer on the food network or the weather.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck finding someone to meet all of your criteria. It's not impossible, but it will be very very hard. Believe me, I do all of things you are looking for in an Optician, but I definitely am not compensated for it, just be prepared to justify all of your criteria with the right pay.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Personaity......................

The last person I hired was not certified but claimed 10 years experience etc. I think from now on I will insist on ABO.
    I am not so convinced that the ABO provides the highest standard. Get somebody that has lab expirience, like Chip suggested, has a great personality, teach him your ways of doing things and you will have formed an optician that knows the technical side and will become the person you describe and want.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    There aren't that many people,let alone opticians who can sell,manage,and watch your bottom line for you. My suggestion to you is to figure out which vendors that you would like to deal with and tell your optician look this is who we order from....that's it. And when your optician comes to you and say's look we can get the same thing from this lab for 30% less, listen to him and at the end of the year give them a raise.

P.S. If you have an "optician" that doesn't know the answer to those questions, fire them now!!! You'll be saving a lot of face with your patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Couldn't afford $1000 a week? With 10 rxs a day that should be a walk in the park! That's only $20 an rx! Why is that so far fetched?

Occupation
    Chip speaks profound knowledge when he says "Never sleep with the help." If you want to have dissention among the ranks just bring the wife into the office. Besides, the little woman belongs at home taking care of the house and the babies.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What you ask for is an elite optician. They are not common, as the name would imply. You'll have to headhunt for someone like that. They would not be unemployed. You'll be paying a pretty penny, but it's obviously win/win.

Having said that (don't stone me, board), you may be looking for a young OD with such interests. You must understand optical pretty well to ask for what you are asking for...do you want to split the OD and optician job with an OD? OD's are in better supply than opticians, these days.

If you hire the spouse, you are insane. Experience talking.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Besides, the little woman belongs at home taking care of the house and the babies.
    *braces for the firestorm*
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG... OMG... (holding by breath)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    *braces for the firestorm*

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definitely hire your wife - just make sure she works out of the home !

Thread Information