Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hear Ye, Hear Ye

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Just read this post and then tell me he wasn't asking to get slammed...."Let the games begin?", "All questions will be answered by my assistant?"

Look I like the fact that this person is excited about optics, and I welcome him, but he/she is asking for the abuse.
    Hey, jose2k can you do your own drillmounts, how about take an 8 base lens down on the hand stone to make it fit in the groove of a 60 eye sized wrapped sunglass frame made from grylomide?????
    Quote Originally Posted by jose2k
    I have arrived. =)
    I'm new here. I have been in optical for a little over a year now, was recently certified, and am now looking for a community of like-minded individuals. But hey, ya'll will work too...
    Anyways, I am here to further my knowledge and try to fairly represent my employer (Wal-Mart) and find out about possible opportunities in the future. Any questions will be answered by my assistant, who also uses this name. =)

Let the games begin
    Joey
    Masterfully Certified, but not a Master

???

ok... am i supposed to be stupid or something? this is apparently the only profession in the world that expects their new people to be idiots. i apologize, i will cease posting, ill just spectate, apparently i lie too much.

joey

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    Take it easy.
    May be just kidding.:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Where is the fun in that?
    ???

ok... am i supposed to be stupid or something? this is apparently the only profession in the world that expects their new people to be idiots. i apologize, i will cease posting, ill just spectate, apparently i lie too much.

joey

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What was your
    ABOC score?
    You should keep studying and take the test every year until you ace it. That really helps you focus.
    Best way to learn lab stuff is with the B&L Job Coach and work in a smaller wholesale lab.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hye, Joey, don't take the bad comments on here personally, because most of them have nothing but negative things to say on just about everyand we all wonder why they even come here with their negative attitudes.

Everyone from this profession is welcome here, no matter where they work, so don't let those with the bad attitudes spoil it for you. Believe me....it's not worth it. Sometimes the negativity gets quite exhausting, but once you get past those folks, the others on here have wonderful knowledge and experiences to share with you.

Again....

WELCOME:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Additionally, Essilor owns Nikon in North America and make the Nikon lenses.

That's why they own NIKON............so they can package ESSILOR lenses in Nikon packages with another name.......this is called consolidation of manufacturing. Then you get customers that think NIKON is better than ESSILOR.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    That's why they own NIKON............so they can package ESSILOR lenses in Nikon packages with another name.......this is called consolidation of manufacturing. Then you get customers that think NIKON is better than ESSILOR.
    Yep, and that is why I use the less expensive Ovation over that Nikon i

they get us in a catch 22 there. our nikon and regular ovation are basically the same price, and you get a much better coating on our nikon. our regular coating isn't horrible, but it does tend to scratch easier than the "platinum" no-glare. as for score, i believe it was around 85, pretty sure, but not positive.

joey

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Crying about hard coats...........................

they get us in a catch 22 there. our nikon and regular ovation are basically the same price, and you get a much better coating on our nikon. our regular coating isn't horrible, but it does tend to scratch easier than the "platinum" no-glare. as for score, i believe it was around 85, pretty sure, but not positive.
    joey
    This has become a real phobia.................I scratch a little more than you and so forth................

All of you out there should know that any lens when mistreated will scratch.............a 1 % better or a 5% worse makes no difference...........they all scratch eventually.

We should be glad they do scratch...........because then you can make a buck by selling a new pair.........instead of being a cry baby.

There are scratch proof coatings out there for many years that are 100% proof on articles like watches that are a lot more exposed to abuse than glasses.

I am wearing a "RADO jubile" advertised as the thinnest watch in the world, fully water sealed and Glass and metal can not be scratched! Therefore it can be done, bit not in the optical.

Many products have been ised for a long time outside the optical trade in other industries before the hit our field as the latest invention.

on the topic of scratch resistance, they developed a new type for the blu-ray dvd discs that are coming out. They actually slid the disc around on concrete with their foot and couldnt scratch it. hope they never adopt that stuff.

joey

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    jose2k,
    Welcome to the Board, and congratulations on passing the ABO. As with
    your self-titled "Masterfully Certified, but not a Master", understand while
    education is extremely vital, experience is paramount. But your enthusiasm and
    energy is very welcomed.
    On a previous post, stating is Wal-Mart out to take over the industry, no
    just to service the customers that walk thru their sliding doors everyday.
    I am associated with some of their optical employees, and from the conver-
    sations I have, the upper management is so weak, that given the finances, and
    locations of the centers, they don't have the forsight, or understanding of the
    buisness. Our profession, while yes we are in it to make a living, is driven by
    customer service. And interpertations of customer service can be widely, and
    usually is, defined in various ways. Taking care of the customer/patient is like
    being good to your Mom....you want to be invited back for Sunday dinner...
    With that being said, again welcome jose2k, and keep asking, searching,
    learning and developing and become who you want to be....
    Mud

"Sometimes, it ain't where you work, it's HOW you work." Uncle Edgar

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jason Carruthers
    Even if he did mix up the two products, he's still a genius. Look how fast he became certified!

Joey, tell these guys your future plans will you?[/QUOTE]

Don't get all hung up on the quickness, we are talking about the ABO, the most MICKEY MOUSE exam I have ever seen! Now I m not saying Joey isn't qualified,
    just keep up the good work see how you do on the contact exam!:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim
    What was your
    ABOC score?
    You should keep studying and take the test every year until you ace it. That really helps you focus.
    Best way to learn lab stuff is with the B&L Job Coach and work in a smaller wholesale lab.[/QUOTE]

WOW I haven't heard anyone mention the B&L Job coach in 30 years!:bbg:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Welcome to both Jose2k and his assistant (although please let us know if you two get into an argument, so we can sort out which one of you is on which side of the issue).
    ;)
    Regarding certification, as I recall I had 13 months in an integrated retail environment (working in the lab end of a privately owned chain) when I passed the NOCE with a score of 96%. Coincidentally, I learned most of my early stuff using a bootlegged copy of the Pearle training manuals. About 3-4 years later, I sat for the ABOM (which I was just thrilled to pass with a score of 77%- what an exam...).

I would recommend you contact the ABO/NCLE to investigate the pursuit of the ABO-AC, and then the ABOM programs. Personally, studying towards a goal (and just increasing knowledge) has always been a great motivator. While I understand and agree that formal education needs to become a larger part of our field, one of the remaining appeals of optics is that it is a field in which an ambitious individual can attain certifications and recognitions through self-directed study and apprenticeship (both formal and informal).

Best of luck to you in what should prove to be a highly stimulating field- ophthalmic optics. There is ALWAYS something new to learn in this field (and this forum will prove to be a great resource of information).

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Pull up a chair

There's room for everyone here on OptiBoard. I'm a member of the trade press and they still talk to me (maybe because I'm also an ABOC, NCLC optician and have been in the industry 30 years...yikes). We're always glad to welcome new folks: it's what keeps what we do fresh and exciting. We can learn as much from you as you can from us. So Thanks for joining us! Best, Karlen

i will have to agree with the older members of the forums when it comes to the abo. keep in mind the person that trained me has been in the field for over 35 years and she trained me like she was taking the test. the problem is, the test i took had very little to do with the understanding of optics and more about trying to interpret what a customer wanted. i learned all sorts of little things that i thought would be relevant, only to have most everything glossed over so that they could make sure i knew that suzy q wanted a frame with a B measurement of 32. i wanted to show these people i knew about prism, but there was only like 1 prism question to be found, which is odd, since a lot of the problems we encounter in our office have to do with imbalance. i dunno, i guess i like this board because its full of real opticians and very few temple benders. i am always receptive to information, and should you feel the need to get rid of old material, or have too much to handle, send it my way. while i may not be able to get the new materials, i feel it is my duty to inform my patients about what is out there. on a side note, anybody have a good way to put pano in semi's without bruising the tip of your thumb? =)

joey

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Take the lens out,use one double pad plier to hold the frame front, and another to bend the temple. Beware of puting pano on a semi-rimless when the lenses are plastic while the lens is still in the frame.....you will almost certainly chip the lens......I have started treating semi-rimless thae same as a drillmount, by telling people that they have to have polycarb if they want this type of frame, this also increases the price of the sale.
    i will have to agree with the older members of the forums when it comes to the abo. keep in mind the person that trained me has been in the field for over 35 years and she trained me like she was taking the test. the problem is, the test i took had very little to do with the understanding of optics and more about trying to interpret what a customer wanted. i learned all sorts of little things that i thought would be relevant, only to have most everything glossed over so that they could make sure i knew that suzy q wanted a frame with a B measurement of 32. i wanted to show these people i knew about prism, but there was only like 1 prism question to be found, which is odd, since a lot of the problems we encounter in our office have to do with imbalance. i dunno, i guess i like this board because its full of real opticians and very few temple benders. i am always receptive to information, and should you feel the need to get rid of old material, or have too much to handle, send it my way. while i may not be able to get the new materials, i feel it is my duty to inform my patients about what is out there. on a side note, anybody have a good way to put pano in semi's without bruising the tip of your thumb? =)

joey

To put "panto" in semi's requires 2 pairs of pliers.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There is probably no better text to read than System of Ophthalmic Dispensing, by Brooks & Borish. If you haven't already procured a copy for your library, I couldn't recommend it more highly. Understand everything contained in that book, and I would venture to say you are at least 95% of the way to knowing everything needed to know about dispensing ophthalmic devices.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

I know a young lady who took the ABO at fifteen and when she was informed that she was certified was the day she passed her drivers exam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ken@foothills
    I know a young lady who took the ABO at fifteen and when she was informed that she was certified was the day she passed her drivers exam.[/QUOTE]

I know a young man who passed his driving test at 14 in South Dakota!

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Regarding certification, as I recall I had 13 months in an integrated retail environment (working in the lab end of a privately owned chain) when I passed the NOCE with a score of 96%. Coincidentally, I learned most of my early stuff using a bootlegged copy of the Pearle training manuals.
    I achieved similar results, using the same Pearle manual!
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Can I ask a question? You've been in optical for one year and work at a chain? And you have an assistant? How do you get an assistant being in the position your in? I don't even have an "assistant". Like many have stated it's not the test that makes you a good optician its experience. I believe that is exactly right, only time and experience can make you a good optician.

Anyways, welcome to OptiBoard.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I cannot think of a better environment to learn ophthalmic optics than an integrated retail enironment (i.e., a retail location with its own on-site laboratory).

Before the flames start descending, let me explain myself. If you are motivated to learn the trade, and if an adequately experienced person is on staff, and if that person is willing to show your the trade, and if you are able to work in the laboratory and in the optical... All I'm saying is that the integrated retail environment can be a tremendous petri dish for ophthalmic development.

That said, I can remember thinking I had a pretty good mastery of ophthalmics after a year or two in the business... Its like aging, at every birthday, you're amazed at the stuff you didn't know at that point last year (at which point you were amazed at the stuff you didn't know the year before). The further I've gone in this field, the more I've realized there is so much out there I don't know yet. I would suggest that the capabilities that will eventually come our way related to freeform will open new avenues that challenge the knowledge of even the most seasoned among us.

Ah, ophthalmics, what a wonderful, challenging, at times frustrating field!!!
    Pete "I love the smell of neutralizer in the morning" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information