Thread: Advertising Ideas - what worked for you?

Question Advertising Ideas - what worked for you?

I've mentioned before that we are a small optical shop.
    We are also fairly new - having only been in the office for just over a year now.

In an effort to introduce ourselves to parents and other adults alike we are doing some advertising. I'm just wondering what worked for you?

There's a lot of money to be spent in advertising and I, as most people, would prefer to do it wisely.

We are a pediatric and specialty optical. The majority of our sales are to people under 20. However, we do still sell to adults as well, as we see adults with strabismus.

**There are a few local papers and family magazines that are distributed for free here in town, and we are going to discuss a potential ad in there.
    **We did some advertising with our local ballpark (The dr. is a big fan)
    **I had thought about inserting a brochure into the new patient packets when we send them out for patients to complete before their exam.

What worked for you?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Offer to speak to PTA's on children's vision

Offer no cost screenings for school sports teams

Offer to speak and demonstrate optical stuff to science classes

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be a part of school and mall health fairs.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Easy solution.......with some own work involved

Quote Originally Posted by eyegirl
    In an effort to introduce ourselves to parents and other adults alike we are doing some advertising. I'm just wondering what worked for you?

We are a pediatric and specialty optical. The majority of our sales are to people under 20. However, we do still sell to adults as well, as we see adults with strabismus.
    Make a website with lots of text for your speciality. Add lots of local news and event on separate pages. Keep away from pictures, as little as possibe. Update it very frequebt. Add a lot of links. You will see the search engines will index you very fast for the region and town you are in. If you can steer the local traffic, and it is possible, to your site you can advertise to your hearts content with minimal cost. Do it yourself with Microsoft Front Page.

Believe me I know, my website is the 5th best visited in the optical trade.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Another idea is to get with pediatrician's, pediatric dentists etc and see if they are willing to swap business cards, flyers with you.

Karen

Bad address email on file
    Television.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you have a store front with a window that people walking by can easily see?

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Sale!!

I have had many customers tell me that they run ads in local papers! The ads that work best are sale ads. They list every brand name frame and lenses. Brands atract attention to your ad and Sales dirves in the business.

Works for Childrens brands as well!

Also the DR should find the closest Pediatric MD and try to work something out!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by eyegirl

What worked for you?

Media advertising ie. newspapers, local mailers, radio, etc. seemed to be worthless for us. In fact I got more phone calls from folks wanting me to participate in their advertising program as they identified we were spending $$ than we did from new patients as a result of our advertising. Although the results of advertising can be outstanding for some businesses like restaurants, and other non durable consumer goods, it is a tough nut to crack for a one location optical shop.

The other limitation with advertising in our industry seems to be the increasing presence of vision benefit programs. Although folks may be compelled by your advertising and appreciate the message you convey , many feel as though they have to have their eyes examined and purchase eyewear at the place that accepts their insurance program.:hammer:

We now issue gift certificates to many non profit organizations for their fund raisers. ie. door prizes, local public television auction, American Red Cross dinner auction, school fundraisers, fire company raffles, etc. with 6 month expiration dates. Unlike paid advertising, this alternative is more of a guarantee the person will be in giving you an opportunity to meet their optical needs.

It seems you have already established a niche marketplace you enjoy working with. If you enjoy your work your patients will enjoy walking through your doors to result in a mutually positive experience.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Wrigley (Wrigley chewing gum) once said "I spend twice as much as I should on advertising! You just tell me which half to cut out"!
    No one ad or no one media is going to bring you people running through your doors. A bullet only hits once but a shotgun sprays. Try a variety on media, tv, radio, mailers, newspaper, and listen and watch for results. The results will not happen overnight. Have continuity in your ads and be repetative, I run an ad in a monthly coupon catalogue with a discount offer. Every ad has "Eyewear News" that talks about a particular product, such as progressive lenses, polarirized, Transitons, etc. Sometimes it brings in $3000 in sales in a month and sometime it does nothing! But, I hear people tell me that they saw my ad so, to me I think it works. I am getting to do an ad at the movie theatre, featuring sunglasses, I think it is a pretty good bang for the buck!
    The local doctors and patient referrals are the best and the least expensive.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile budget budget budget........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers

Television.
    I love that idea..................if you have the budget to advertise at prime time it is very good.................if not you can pay for an add that is on the air at 3am when everybody is asleep.

You can also promise the morning man on radio glasses for the rest of his life and he will put in a few good words your way every day.........like they here for some restaurants.

You want long term...............do the work get a smart website like I said before.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've got to disagree with Mike F about newspaper advertising. Too expensive for too little exposure.

When someone scans a newspaper page, you have less that one second to catch their attention with your ad. And it must make a big impression, because rarely do people re-read newspapers or cut out ads.

Sponsor a local little league team. I was surprised that sponsorship cost me $250, less than a small newspaper ad. The kids were always running around with my name on their back and it created goodwill.

My other form of advert that worked was a coupon on the back of the cash register receipt at the local market. It goes in the purse/pocket, gets thrown on the bureau, and may get looked at more than a newspaper ad.

Harry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888
    Sponsor a local little league team. I was surprised that sponsorship cost me $250, less than a small newspaper ad. The kids were always running around with my name on their back and it created goodwill.
    Harry

This would be great !!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes Budgets are important, but if you don't spend the money, you won't garner as much new business. A good mix is important, but make sure upon every dispense you inquire as to how each patient heard about you, and then you can focus your advertising/marketing budget accordingly.

Marketing is where the chains are eating our lunches!!!

AA

PS WOM is still the best advertising, but other types still help keep you busy

Thread Information