Thread: Shamir UK Launch

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Shamir UK Launch

Following their recent launch in the UK, I am now working for Shamir. I also own an optical retailing business which has been succesfully fitting Shamir progs for some months. However, Shamir is not a name known in the UK (yet) and Opticians over here don't like to change from their old favourites.

Any feedback on Autograph, Genesis, Piccolo or Office would be really useful.

Many thanks

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam
    Following their recent launch in the UK, I am now working for Shamir. I also own an optical retailing business which has been succesfully fitting Shamir progs for some months. However, Shamir is not a name known in the UK (yet) and Opticians over here don't like to change from their old favourites.

Many thanks
    Are Shamir (are they calling themselves Ultra) supplying finished lenses?
    Will they still supply uncuts?
    There are already companies selling Shamir blanks in the UK is this likely to change?

Rick

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Are Shamir (are they calling themselves Ultra) supplying finished lenses?
    Will they still supply uncuts?
    There are already companies selling Shamir blanks in the UK is this likely to change?

Rick
    Hi Rick

Yes, Shamir (aka Altra Optics UK) offer a full range of stock and Rx products in uncut and glazed form.

I see from your web-site that you promote Genesis (many thanks) and should you wish to discuss supply I can arrange for our North of England Sales Manager, David Proudfoot to contact you.

I'm moving house next week, but by all means contact David direct on:

07921 752953

Regards

Liam

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Rick

Yes, Shamir (aka Altra Optics UK) offer a full range of stock and Rx products in uncut and glazed form.

I see from your web-site that you promote Genesis (many thanks) and should you wish to discuss supply I can arrange for our North of England Sales Manager, David Proudfoot to contact you.

I'm moving house next week, but by all means contact David direct on:

07921 752953

Regards

Liam
    Hi Liam,

I promote Shamir lenses because I beleive they are a good lens, however if I cannot surface them then they cease to be economically viable, like Essilor.

I then end up linng the nests of the big guys like AO & Hoya which doesn't make me happy either.

Thanks for the info Liam,

Rick

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Following their recent launch in the UK, I am now working for Shamir. I also own an optical retailing business which has been succesfully fitting Shamir progs for some months.
    Hi again Liam.
    I learned today that an Altra rep has been in my area and at first glance seems to have undercut most of my prices on Shamir finished progressives.
    If Altra are undercutting my prices then I guess they are undercutting most other independent lab prices as we are competitive.
    Shamir were previously the only lenses I considered it beneficial for me to push as an independent, that is no longer the case.
    So now I may as well cosy up to Essilor and sell their products en masse and enjoy the rewards and discounts that will bring, especially as theirs are the products most requested.
    I would be careful, a lens supplier can do worse than have labs pushing their products when the vast majority of retailers are happy enough to take the path of least resistance and sell exclusively Essilor as many of my accounts do.
    Shamir is not a name known in the UK (yet) and Opticians over here don't like to change from their old favourites.

Many thanks
    Well until recently I would have been more than happy to help in this respect.

Rick

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Many thanks
    Greetings Liam-if you have access to the Eye View software that the US reps use it will change some of their minds. It is pretty good stuff. Don't think the Autograph is really moving over here yet, at least not on the west coast. I will say that the Office is my favorite occupational lens hands down - works great for most everybody that needs that kind of help.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I too have had the rep from shamir visit me and very informative it was too. However it seems that they will soon be restricting the supply of semi finished so that independant labs will not be ble to easliy supply. Looks like they are going the way of Essilor on this. I think it is because they have a lot of capacity at Cambridge that needs utilising (my view only)

I am still keen for feedback on the lenses and also on service levels with Zeiss and success rates with their lenses.

thanks,

Lewy

Thread Information