Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco only sells ONE progressive?!?

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Costco only sells ONE progressive?!?

Hey all,

I went today to discuss payrates and schedules with the costco that very well might be employing me soon, and when I asked about progressives, I was informed that they only sell the Ovation progressive. Can someone else from a different Costco verify that for me? I have a hard time imagining that an optical that realizes the importance of compentent staff well enough to only hire licensed employees would also recognize the need to pick and choose the proper progressive for their patient.

Now I might have to reconsider accepting employement there.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good Heavans.....STAY WITH AN INDEPENDANT!!!!!!! I have worked both and working corporate seriously inhibits (SP?) your ability to care for pts needs and wants. Good luck but I really hope someone clocks you over the head soon with some good sence.

Cindy

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If I had to carry one progressive lens I would seriously consider the Ovation. A+++ Lens without the Varilux price.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by William Walker
    I have a hard time imagining that an optical that realizes the importance of compentent staff well enough to only hire licensed employees would also recognize the need to pick and choose the proper progressive for their patient.

Competence has little to do with that decision. Your (or anyone's) license is necessary to do business legally.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

leaving private

William

Has Jacksonville changed that much in 2 1/2 years that you'd leave private for costco? The girl I replaced at Dr. Laramie's office went there, and not to long after leaving and me starting she wanted to come back;-( Needless to say I was not replaced;-) Good for me not for her(she was really nice)....

Don't do it!!!!!

Just a former Jacksonville girl far far away from home

Christina

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe call a few Costco stores and ask them what progressives they sell.

P.S. Why are you considering Costco? just curious...

Hey all,

I went today to discuss payrates and schedules with the costco that very well might be employing me soon, and when I asked about progressives, I was informed that they only sell the Ovation progressive. Can someone else from a different Costco verify that for me? I have a hard time imagining that an optical that realizes the importance of compentent staff well enough to only hire licensed employees would also recognize the need to pick and choose the proper progressive for their patient.

Now I might have to reconsider accepting employement there.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Maybe call a few Costco stores and ask them what progressives they sell.

P.S. Why are you considering Costco? just curious...
    Why Costco? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what? they pay the big bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Why Costco? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

OptiBoard Apprentice

Costco and Ovations

We sell Ovations at LensCrafters and I like the lens and very very seldom have any patients that have problems.
    Last month I visited with a woman who works for a Costco and she said she drives 30 miles each way to work at Costco and has been with them for 4 years and thinks it is a great place to work. And.....she was not trying to recruit me.
    Jessica

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm leaving my office because I feel I am being asked to do too much work for my salary. I do just about everything in the world at this office for $17.85/hour, whereas Costco will pay me $18.50/hour to just come in and sell glasses. At my current office, I get no overtime, I'm salary, so when I am asked to do more work, I have to get it done for free, whereas at Costco, even if you are part time, if you work more than 8 hours in a day, that overage is paid at overtime pay. Also, if I want to work Sundays, Sundays are paid at time and a half.

As it is, I'll be working 4 days, instead of 5.5, and be making more money to do less. It doesn't have all the coolness points, and freedoms, but I am looking at this office as a place to work until I can open my own independant optical, so I don't think of it as my permanent home.
    William Walker

Board Certified

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    william

Good luck, remember money is not everything;)

christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm leaving my office because I feel I am being asked to do too much work for my salary. I do just about everything in the world at this office for $17.85/hour, whereas Costco will pay me $18.50/hour to just come in and sell glasses. At my current office, I get no overtime, I'm salary, so when I am asked to do more work, I have to get it done for free, whereas at Costco, even if you are part time, if you work more than 8 hours in a day, that overage is paid at overtime pay. Also, if I want to work Sundays, Sundays are paid at time and a half.

As it is, I'll be working 4 days, instead of 5.5, and be making more money to do less. It doesn't have all the coolness points, and freedoms, but I am looking at this office as a place to work until I can open my own independant optical, so I don't think of it as my permanent home.
    William I wish you luck,I can relate to the over working and under paying. Have you made your boss aware of your feelings? Have you given them a chance to change things? Perhaps they just dont know how you feel, after all if its went on for some time they may think you are happy with your arrangement. I again hate to say this as I dont want to offend those currently working in a retail environment but its not the same buddy....the grass isnt always greener. I would maybe consider re negotiating or looking at other private practices. I just felt when I worked retial it was more like selling cars, no offense if you like selling cars, and less like opticianary. Just my feelings....my two cents

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    what? they pay the big bucks?
    They do in Greensboro NC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many years do you have in this industry? Do you receive a benefit package as to health insurance,etc? Profit sharing? Bonus? Do you have retirement? Do you have CE do you have a chance for advancement. What are your qualifications? Did you graduate from an opticianry school? Do you have a career or just a job? What type of hours are you currently working?Do you have vacation, personal days, sick time, disability? Weekends and nights? As a managing optician, I also look and question all these things. Evaluate before you leap for $40.00 a week.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    How many years do you have in this industry? Do you receive a benefit package as to health insurance,etc? Profit sharing? Bonus? Do you have retirement? Do you have CE do you have a chance for advancement. What are your qualifications? Did you graduate from an opticianry school? Do you have a career or just a job? What type of hours are you currently working?Do you have vacation, personal days, sick time, disability? Weekends and nights? As a managing optician, I also look and question all these things. Evaluate before you leap for $40.00 a week.
    I second this post. Very well said.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you consider re negotiating

Type up your current job description stating everything you do. Sometimes things have more meaning when people can visual "see" what it is you are talking about vs. just hearing the verbal side of it. Also, get some information to justify your pay. Research how much people are making with the same experience you have and also with the same duties you do for your area where you live. Again, it might help your doctor know what the going rate is and what people are expecting these days. <--he's had you do everything for a certain pay and for so long, he will need to "see" what you "should" be getting. Give him the opportunity to meet your needs...

Also, think about this...Working for an independant, people come to you for your expertise. People who shop at Costco want it CHEAP!! Are you truely going to waste your talents, hard work & experience for 65 cents more??? 65 CENTS!! Try a different independent or a nice optical boutique. Besides, you're thinking about opening your own place. When you're with an independent, you'll have unlimited access to what is going on in the Optical World. When you are with Costco, it is going to cost you more than 65 cents per hour to stay in tune with the forever changing Optical Industry.

Just my 2 CENTS.... :D

P.S. I would expect someone with your certifications to ask for atleast $20.00 per hour not $18.50...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep from what I understand they only carry one progressive lens and that is the Ovation lens in different materials.... kinda sounds kooky huh?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the concept of "only one" progressive is not as bad as you may think, if the progressive is a good one!

I, for years, fit only Varilux Comfort with a high success rate. Then, I fit Panamics with a high success rate, as well. Now, I'm trending towards Genesis, and I expect the same high success rate. I'm sure SolaOne could do it well, too.

The point: customizing progressives to the individual will save you about 5% remakes, at best, and that's assuming you select the perfect lens each time!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Smart...........................

Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur
    Yep from what I understand they only carry one progressive lens and that is the Ovation lens in different materials.... kinda sounds kooky huh?
    Definitely not kooky.............if you can be successfull with one product in a certain category...............that is best that can ever happen. Stock simplified adjustment techniques stay the same............plus you get the best discounts from the supplier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the items mentioned are the same, if not better at Costco. Both companies allow me $500 towards education expenses, Costco reinmburses all my CE hours and license renewals (my current employer doesn't), Costco offers 401k with $500/year matching (my current employer gives no 401k), Costco offers stock options (my current employer offers none), when I work overtime, Costco offers time and a half (my current employers gives no overtime), my current employer is closed on Sundays, but at Costco, when I work Sundays, it is at time and a half, bonuses are about the same across the board, and those who I worked with years ago that currently work for Costco tell me that employees get raises twice a year (my last raise came finally after 15 months at the same rate), I don't have to concern myself at all with inventory (I have to do 1 lot of the frame planning/ordering for our office), nights and weekends are not much different, at Costco, with 4 years of employement I'm 99% sure I'll have more than the one week I get at my current employer, my current employer doesn't keep track of any sick days, nor vacation days, and I'm a person who has taken about 3 sick days in the past four years. At Costco you can sell some of that back.I will miss the image. I don't like being in a warehouse, but the most attractive part is that I can make the same amount of money doing less work, and having an extra day a week off. That gives me the time/energy needed to finish my second degree (Optical Practice Management), and start a degree in business in the spring.

I'm also designing my own Access based computer program for my future private office, so this will give me plenty of time to work on, and perfect it.

Thanks for all the advise, and I'm still listening.
    William Walker

Board Certified

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Based on my shopping around lately...

Costco here dispenses all the Essilor lenses, not just ovation. But no other manufacturers.

It's walmart here that dispenses only ovation. I guess for the low price, always (lol)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I asked at the Costo near me and they only sell Ovation except in polarized. I think they do this so that they can offer it cheaper. It is quicker for the dispenser to offer only one progressive and they can buy in high volume and buy it cheaper. They do sell it very inexpensively. It is a good lens and probably works well 90% of the time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would compliment Costco on choosing the lens!

I would think that they would use something like Navigator type of lenses!
    Much cheaper but maybe not for them!
    Essilor rules!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    how is the navigator rated in the US? we use it all the time and have very little non tol, we have on occasion swapped patients from comfort to navigator again with no comment by patients it seems to us a really well tolerated lens

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Go To Costco

I can fit any progressive I want. I have been Independent since 1978.
    The lens I fit most is Navigator long or short channel usually in Sunsensors. It is a great lens and a good buy for the customer. I use the AO Pro as a budget lens maybe 1 or 2 a month. In my opinion if a progressive is fitted properly most any of them will work fine. Since 1971 I have had better than 98% success on progressive fits. I have fit many different brands over the years and am convinced that like most everything in this country most of the "info' from manufactures is pure hype.
    The two most common reasons for failure, in my opinion is, 1- fit too low and 2- pd is off. Oddly enough a lot of people still fit them too low.
    I always check a new customer to see where the old lens is fitted for height. If I find them low I ask them if they raise their head or the glasses to read. If they say yes, I explain that I am raising them and a new adjustment for them will occur. Then I tell them how much better the near will be. Works every time.
    So GO TO WORK for COSTCO and enjoy yourself. They respect your ability more than any "eye doctor". Eye doctors think they know it all. I have a low opinion of most all of them I have ever known. OD's want to be "medical without the training" and MD's think they are god.
    Costco is where I would work if I was going to work for someone else. I know a lot about them and if you are young and want a good retirement, GO COSTCO.
    Money is better than LDO,ABO,NCLE or working in a professional office where most of the crappy fits come from.
    Best of luck to you at COSTCO.
    Bill West, TBDOA - IWFMO - NPOBSH
    Last edited by Bill West; 08-04-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Thread Information