Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the London attack........

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Has anyone noticed that the British have stated that "appearently all the bombers were suicide bombers and were killed in the blast."
    The British have also stated that they have recovered "timing devises" from the bombing sites.
    Now, just what does a suicide bomber need with a "timing devise" on his bomb. Want time to say prayers to Allah before it goes off?

Chip
    Didn't you see Animal House? "Everybody synchronize your watches..."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Forgive me for being brass, I would like to spew horrible mean things at you for speaking ill of christians, I am a christian and take offense. Since God wouldnt want me to call you and A** Ill just say perhaps you should be nicer and consider that not all Christians are freaks....
    Call me what you want and show your true colours. I didn't speak ill of all Christians or call them all freaks, only the fundamentalists. Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, Sikh and Jewish fundamentalists are freaks too.

I'll tell you who I'd like to spew horrible mean things at, the bigots who use deaths in a city I lived in and love to spread their intolerance of faiths other than their own. If you ever bother to visit London you will find just about every faith, race, nationality and religion living side by side.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    Oh, my, does it hurt to be painted with so broad a brush? Can you imagine yourself as a Muslim for about a tenth of a second? Do you see the problem here?

Of course not all Christians are "bloody Christian fundamentalist freaks" - but the writer of that article Rep posted may well qualify as one. I'm not sure if he's precisely a racist, or a fascist, or a religious fanatic, or a devil's brew of all of these; but in a word, he stinks.

This thread provides a delightful juxtaposition to those commentators who want to know why there are no moderate Muslim voices speaking out against the radical Muslims - you know, the ones who advocate killing all the non-Muslims? Well, where are the moderate Christian voices speaking out against the neo-Nazi poison that this writer spews, and which inspires otherwise-decent people to think that mass murder is actually a solution to something?

Perhaps another article of his reveals his facist philosophy more clearly:

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=5652

Once again, we are in rep's debt for pointing out the kinds of warped and twisted people we have to watch out for.
    As a matter of fact it does hurt, I realize the hatred spewed by those whom claim to follow Christ. I also understand that those living in glass houses ought not throw stones. See I think that some of the people whom push people farthest from Christ are like that man that wrote that article. Ever heard there are two reasons people arent Christian, either they never heard about Christ or they met a Chrisitian. That puts shame and saddness in my heart. God never wanted things shoved down the throats of others I think he wanted people to learn and then choose God, not to be forced or persucuted. So dont think because I take offense to hatred towards Christians that I applaud hatred towards others and non chrisitians. Gods message was love and grace, mercy and forgiveness so to assume that I am one of the extreme Christians is rather off.. See it seems we agree on many points I just am proud to claim my faith. Not shove or spew it, just claim it with pride.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As usual, cousin Robert is correct..........

I am guilty of letting my emotions run amok. I did temporarily lose my mind. Problem is I'm not sure I have it back yet so I'm going to sit here and watch without posting for a while.
    My aplologies for ranting.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Another theory out the window:

London bombers 'were all British'
    Detectives now believe the London bombings were carried out by four British-born men in what were possibly the country's first suicide attacks

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    I am guilty of letting my emotions run amok. I did temporarily lose my mind. Problem is I'm not sure I have it back yet so I'm going to sit here and watch without posting for a while.
    My aplologies for ranting.
    I have to admit I thought you had gone over the deep end when I read your post; that didn't sound anything like you.

Destroying Mecca would be the equivalent of destroying the Vatican - it would only further resolve and probably increase the number of individuals fighting for the cause.

Not intending to offend anyone here but ... would we even have had to fight most of histories wars if it weren't for religion? Isn't religion the biggest reason throughout history for war, repression, discrimination, ostracism, genocide, etc and etc?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    If the war on terror is to be won, it will require meeting each attack with something that is tenfold more horrible.If that doesn't do it, a hundred times more horrible and a thousand times if still unsucessfull. Anyone thinking we're winning the war on terror has their head in the sand.These attacks will continue until we start doing something about it.
    Harry,

How do you think Americans would react if the shoe were on the other foot? I think that if we had the lives that most common muslims have, we would fight like they have. The Boston Tea Party was certainly an act of terrorism. If the response to the Boston Tea Party was "tenfold/a hundred times/a thousand times more horrible", would it have stopped us? Or would we have fought back just that much harder?

So why do you think it will stop them? Why do you not think that they will fight back just that much harder.

Winning the war will mean giving up something. Some will think that's it's appeasement, but we can't have all the food and expect everyone else to beg at the table for scraps. And if we do, we'll have to give up much of our freedom, our wealth, and the lives of our young men and women. Is it worth it?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    Not intending to offend anyone here but ... would we even have had to fight most of histories wars if it weren't for religion? Isn't religion the biggest reason throughout history for war, repression, discrimination, ostracism, genocide, etc and etc?
    yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. second and third are nationalism and greed.
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope, most of the early ones were about money, power, women, land and ordinary stuff. The philosophy stuff didn't get mixed in until much later, and even then it was usually mixed in to cover the real motives (above). Men have always killed each other the motivations were seldom altruistic.

Saw a cute cartoon once where a lovely medieval bride was chiding her knight as he donned his armor: "Crusades Hell, you just want to go drinking and wenching with those darn Normans."

Hitler, The Emporah of Japan, Poll Pot, Genghis Kahn, Attila the Hun, Napoleon and most of the others I could name had little if any religious motivations. The English occasionally made noises about bringing religion to the heathens but their motivation was land, power and Empire. And we all know the Spaniards were after gold, even if they had some perverse concepts of Christianity they spread to the few they spared.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now that I've thrown things wayyyyy off topic ...

Well, I have to give you that one. Even many of the religious conquests were about money and land hidden behind religious interests. Believe it or not, that's where the western involvement in Vietnam started - Portuguese and French imperialism hidden behind political/missionary ventures. When it came down to it, it was all about trade, money and land.

(Sorry about throwing the thread off topic.)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I can't believe some of these post.

Replies starting backwards.

No Jo -Other than the crusades name one or better yet name one in the 20th century. Ditto Spexvet surely you know better, but it does fit in with your second favorite political position.

Spexvet - dumping tea in Boston Harbor so it won't be taxed, is equal to terrorism? What planet are you on? Winning the war means giving up something - what a wonderful blame us position - really glad you are not negotiating for the U.S. Typical hogwash about 9/11 being our fault and WE are to blame for hungry Muslums? Wow what a pantload. Name one time or place where appeasement has worked long term? No I am not advocating a civil war. I am advocating taking the war to the homefront of the terrorist and making it up close and personal. There have been many wars just like this. Most of them you never hear about because we deal with them up close and personal.

Spartus - jury is still out regarding the British Bombers - my bet is that they were muslums, just from another nationality. Time will tell.

Harry - I don't think you were ranting any more than the jubberish in these other post. History paints a totally different picture of what has worked vs the speculative solutions of those who have not studied past situations. Despite the German and Japanese results there are those who still advocate that appeasement works. I just can't find anywhere where it has worked over the long haul and didn't increase the number of deaths ultimately.

Bev - Look for major changes in Britian. Blair began closing down the influx of immigrants in Feb. This will only speed up the process. France is also taking a second look since the London attacks, also watch what happens in Congress I am sure they already have the intelligence reports and a pretty good picture of how we are vunerable and what needs to change.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

20th Century

1. Stalinism
    2. The Balkans
    3. Northern Ireland
    4. Maoism

Occupation

Most recent appeasement failure.......

Jo

I can't agree that these should be included.

Stalin and Mao were forms of government/ dictatorships and thanks to Ronnie we didn't have to fight either one directly.

The Balkans was/is a cultural war between two ethnic groups that also involved muslums and christians as a subplot because one group was primarily muslum and the other christians (or non muslems) Not really even a minor conflict.

Northern Ireland dosent even register as a skirmish in the overall picture of war in the world has known it. A conflict sure but in comparison to Gulf War I, II, Vietnam, WWI, WW2, Korea, not even a blip on the map. Even Grenada and Panama were bigger.

The latest failure of appeasement happened today.

The peace loving Palestinians have decide to celebrate Israel's withdrawal from Gaza by blowing up a few Israelis. Lets hear it for appeasement When the Palestinians don't get what they want they blow up innocent Israeli civilians. When the do get what they want they blow up innocent Israeli civilians.

Shambaum, Spexvet and RGC_ man this fits you all to a "T"

"The post-9/11 world is not primarily a war between civilisations — the West vs Islam — but a war within one civilisation: ours. It’s a long existential struggle between those who believe that Western values — or, to be more precise, the values of the English-speaking world — are one of the great blessings of this world and those ‘counter-tribalists’ who believe those values are the source of most of the world’s ills. The latter are a relatively small group but their numbers are bolstered by legions so immersed in the sappy therapeutic culture of the age that they’ve been persuaded that the best way to ‘celebrate diversity’ is to abase oneself before moral relativism and non-judgmentalism. The Islamists are merely the lucky beneficiaries of this syndrome. It’s hard to fight a war in a culture that recoils from the very concept of an opposing side: there are no enemies, just friends whose grievances we haven’t yet accommodated."-- Mark Steyn

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    Spexvet - dumping tea in Boston Harbor so it won't be taxed, is equal to terrorism? What planet are you on?
    I'm on the planet that looks at things objectively. I am not from the planet Jingo.

Main Entry: jin·go·ism
    Pronunciation: 'ji[ng]-(")gO-"i-z&m
    Function: noun
    : extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...oism&x=22&y=17

Try thinking objectively.
    Winning the war means giving up something - what a wonderful blame us position - really glad you are not negotiating for the U.S. Typical hogwash about 9/11 being our fault and WE are to blame for hungry Muslums? Wow what a pantload.
    Supporting repressive regimes in the middle east, exploiting common middle eastern workers by our multinational corporations, and putting military bass on Muslim holy ground had nothing to to do with their lashing out with terrorism? Wow, what an arrogant and limited perspective on international affairs. Keep up the same attitude and behavior, and you'll keep getting the same results (terrorism).

BTW, we will have to give up something, in fact already have. We've given up hassle-free boarding of an airplane, travelling to Canada without a passport, access to some government buildings, 1758 American military dead in Iraq, billions of tax dollars for homeland security, etc. I would rather come to an understanding with the enemy than try to beat them into submission - last week's London bombing shows that IT DOES NOT WORK. It doesn't work any better than trying to beat the US into submission. Remember: "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - the Bush administration has shown their incompetence with this war.
    Name one time or place where appeasement has worked long term?
    It's not appeasement - you innaccurately call it that.
    No I am not advocating a civil war.
    Who said anything about civil war? I asked you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Rep,
    Are you recommending a genocidal Jihad to eradicate the world of Muslims?
    Would you care to answer that question?
    Rep
    Regards,
    Spexvet
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s a long existential struggle between those who believe that Western values — or, to be more precise, the values of the English-speaking world — are one of the great blessings of this world and those ‘counter-tribalists’ who believe those values are the source of most of the world’s ills.
    Some of us believe that values just are. Ours are no better and no worse than anyone else's values, and certainly no more or less valid. Self-righteousness is a distasteful trait, IMHO.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation

warning: possibly very stupid statement

Has anyone noticed that the British have stated that "appearently all the bombers were suicide bombers and were killed in the blast."
    The British have also stated that they have recovered "timing devises" from the bombing sites.
    Now, just what does a suicide bomber need with a "timing devise" on his bomb. Want time to say prayers to Allah before it goes off?

Chip
    I would guess that having the bomb denotated remotely gives the design of the bomb "package" better cover for the bomb deliverer? (If this is crazy, I am more than willing to stand corrected).

Occupation
    CHM2023

IF you had bothered to read the article you would have picked this up.

When was the last bombing from any of these groups?

Rep

ETA? Yesterday, several car bombs outside Madrid. Read a real newspaper. IRA? As late as 2000 as I recall. Shining Path? Still terrorizing Peru, morphing into a drug cartel, same methods.

And hey, once I saw the reference in the article to these claims being backed by scholarly studies--whoooo--eeee!!!! Heart be still!

Occupation

Well as long as YOU'RE ok

Watched Bush's speech at the FBI Academy Monday night, his latest Iraq update. Keep in mind this was a couple days after the London bombings, Bush stated: "We will continue to fight the terrorists in Iraq so we won't have to fight them at home".

Why this is a good strategy for the US but not so much the Brits is a mystery. When the WH was asked about this statement, its insensitivity to our key ally, their response was that the speech had been written before the London bombings.

Think about that for a while. I know I feel safe.:hammer:

Occupation

Aerial photograph of some Muslim "holy ground"

I'm on the planet that looks at things objectively. I am not from the planet Jingo. Supporting repressive regimes in the middle east, exploiting common middle eastern workers by our multinational corporations, and putting military bases on Muslim holy ground had nothing to to do with their lashing out with terrorism? Wow, what an arrogant and limited perspective on international affairs.
    Sometimes you really "kill" me, Spexvet! :bbg:

Take a close look and remark the details in this recent aerial photograph of some Muslim "holy ground" [sic] in Iraq.

Study the caption under the photograph.

"Holy ground", my a**! :hammer:

US CENTCOM-release: Aerial imagery of Shiite militia mortar positions on the eastern sidewalk of the Imam Ali Shrine, Najaf, Iraq, taken from RQ-1 Predator UAV. Imagery from August 23, 2004.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 07-13-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are the British stupid?
    Just the type of comment one loves to see in the aftermath of a bombing.
    Many thanks,
    Rick

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Many thanks,
    Rick
    Please forgive Chip. We have no choice but to let him out of the basement occasionally, and he posts; what can we do?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Many thanks,
    Rick
    I know I'm bewildered by the lack of Union Jack lapel pins. How can you tell who's patriotic and who's a traitorous scum sucker without visual aids????

Chin up.:cheers:

Occupation

Spexvet

Who said anything about civil war? I asked you:

Would you care to answer that question?

Spexvet

No, I have stated that I think the military should change tactics. Nothing else.

Answering your question any other way is a federal crime punishable by life imprisonment. I am sure you know that -better luck next time, If you doubt it, check todays paper.

Rep

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Northern Ireland dosent even register as a skirmish in the overall picture of war in the world has known it. A conflict sure but in comparison to Gulf War I, II, Vietnam, WWI, WW2, Korea, not even a blip on the map. Even Grenada and Panama were bigger.
    In what way were Grenada and Panama bigger than Northern Ireland?

US conflict deaths: http://members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm

Northern Ireland deaths: http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/sli...s_by_year.html

When you consider the small population, it is a huge conflict.

Despite the peace process, people are still being killed and maimed in punishment beatings.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man

In what way were Grenada and Panama bigger than Northern Ireland?
    They were not. As you may have noticed, rep is quite the ignoramus; it's a pretty typical characteristic amongst extremists.

Thread Information