Thread: Lenses for Rimless Dilemma

OptiBoard Apprentice

Lenses for Rimless Dilemma

Hi All! Luckly I found this forum before purchasing my new glasses. I live on Brazil (Latin America), and lenses choice are very limited here. I have very high myopia (see below my info), and wish to use a rimless frame. I was able to find essilor´s Stylis (1,67) surfaced with cryzal alize, and transitions V (grey), but unfortunately this one is spherical, and wanted it to be aspherical also. My questions:

1 - What edge thickness should I expect? Will it look good or too thick?

2 - Does this lenses worth US$400 (this is the price I´m going to pay for it)?

3 - I read aspherical lenses are better than spherical. Should I search more or just stick with the spherical described above? Are the differences so great worth the time and difficulties to find?

Finally, my "specs":

My PD is 59mm, The frame nose "wire" is 20mm, and the lenses may have between 40-50mm (I wish some suggestions on the diameter too!).

About my Rx, I need some advice. My last glass had -6.00 sphere and 0.50 cylinder on each eye, but my vision was not good, so I went to the same doctor and he prescribed me the same above, but changed cylinder to 0.75. Not big difference, so I went to another doctor who prescribed -6,75 on Right Eye and -6,25 on Left Eye. I think the right eye is correct, but the -6,25 on the left eye seems low and incorrect to me. I always had same values on both eyes, why it would change suddenly? I´m willing to order a glass with -6,75 on both lenses. This is too dangerous or should I go to a third doctor?

I appreciate all help received! If more information is need I´ll be very happy to provide!! :)

Regards,
    Carlos

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Okay, I might sound harsh at the beginning, but I am here to help you so please give me a chance before getting upset:

1. What is the optician saying? You know the one who is selling you the glasses.

2. Why did you see two Optomistrist's and why are you not taking their words for it. An Optomistrist's best asset is you, so everything is based on which lens that you pick to see clearer out of.

3. We cannot tell you if the RX is right or not unless you are sitting in our chairs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    1 - I always bought my glasses on the same place, but never care about lens sold, until now I made some research to know more about it. I don´t even know the person who is going to make my lens. I can only talk with a salesperson who know less than me about lenses. She only have a sheet with lenses prices and few infos. Just to show an example, to simple know if these Stylis lenses are Spherical or Aspherical, I had to wait 2 days, so the woman could call the lab and get the info with them :(

2 - I went to the second one because the first increased only 0.25, and my vision is far worse. So I went to a second one and well, he said I have no astigmatism at all and increased my myopia. Believe or not US400 here is 2 month of hard work from my part, a big investment, and I need to do the lenses right, that´s way I´m so concerned and look out for advice.

3 - Ok, I guess problably this answer is the one I´m going to hear anyway from everyone I ask...

Occupation
    Well the lenses will look thin. I cannot comment on the price. That would be about what it is here, but prices vary from country to country.

As for Aspheric versus Spherical, I would not worry about that with your RX.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Ok then! Thanks a lot! :D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Solution............................

Quote Originally Posted by Legatinho
    - Ok, I guess problably this answer is the one I´m going to hear anyway from everyone I ask...
    Call: http://www.orgalente.com.br/pedidos/login.php

ORGALENT Productos Opticas
    Av Rodrigues Alive 823
    Fundos Santo Cristo - Centro
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ 20220361

Talk to Moises, tell him I sent you and they will help you or send you to an optician who is very capable to get you what you want.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Chris,

Thanks a lot! Rio de Janeiro is a bit far from my home, but I´ll surely call him Monday and hope to get some answers in portuguese! :)

Just another note to add (a bit frustrating one): I looked Essilor´s website and got surprised, because there´s no mention to the lenses I described on the first post. I looked at http://www.essilor.co.uk/lenscatalog...glevision.html and the lenses the store was trying to sell me is a Stylis Cryzal Alizé Transitions V Brown Spheric, but the Essilor site mentions only a Cryzal Alizé Transitions V (Gray Only) (Aspheric Only). I´m a bit confused now. Should I send an email to Essilor asking if they have it? :(

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Can tint any color....................

Chris,
    ......................only a Cryzal Alizé Transitions V (Gray Only) (Aspheric Only). I´m a bit confused now. Should I send an email to Essilor asking if they have it?
    Of course send them an e-mail. One more thing, if they can tint a lens grey..............they also can tint it brown or any other color.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Chris,

I´m talking about transitions lens, according to Essilor´s UK website, there´s only Transitions V in Brown and Grey, and Stylis is only avaliable in Grey with this photocromic technology.

Carlos

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Carlos,

In the US, Transitions V is available only on polycarbonate lenses. I don't know about what Essilor may offer in other countries.

I hope that Chris' connection in Rio can direct you to an optician you can trust. That will be much better for you than getting our input on this board, IMHO. I also offer one suggestion if you find a trustworthy optician. When a patient comes into our office, I do much better if the patient tells me what they want their lenses to do and look like than if the patient tells me what brand of lens he wants. Sometimes there are alternatives which will work better for that patient and which the patient hasn't heard about.

I wish you best of luck and am curious about what happens.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    Carlos,

In the US, Transitions V is available only on polycarbonate lenses. I don't know about what Essilor may offer in other countries.

I hope that Chris' connection in Rio can direct you to an optician you can trust. That will be much better for you than getting our input on this board, IMHO. I also offer one suggestion if you find a trustworthy optician. When a patient comes into our office, I do much better if the patient tells me what they want their lenses to do and look like than if the patient tells me what brand of lens he wants. Sometimes there are alternatives which will work better for that patient and which the patient hasn't heard about.

I wish you best of luck and am curious about what happens.
    In Canada you can get it in the 1.67, but I forget if it is grey and brown or just grey.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    Carlos,

Andrew,

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you but Transitions V is available in Poly AND 1.67 Hi Index. It's not JUST Poly! Here is what I have on available from at my lab for SV Transitions V:

Single Vision - Polycarbonate Transitions V in Grey or Brown
    Single Vision - Essilor 1.67 Transitions V in Grey
    Single Vision - Seiko 1.67 Transitions V in Grey or Brown

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually Transitions V are available in 1.60, 1.67, poly, and Trivex.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Well,

After many calls, the salesperson was able to talk to the manager of the lab and he sent the right information (stylis 1,67, aspheric, surfaced, transitions grey with alizé). I have some other questions then! :D

1 - About my Rx: I´ll go to another doctor on Monday to confirm it. I just wanted to know why one prescribes me -6.75 sphere and other -6.00 sphere and 0.75 cylinder. Can this change the way I see things? Is there any places where I can find more information about Myopia versus Astigmatism? From my own point of view, when I was at -6.75 my vision looks sharper. And the method the doctor use to determine it seems to be a lot "empirical" lol!

2 - These lenses will be surfaced. What is surfacing (the salesperson says it improves the edge making it thinner). Is there any place where I can read more about it (showing the details, or even better, pictures and how it works)?

3 - If the lenses will be surfaced, will it lose the alizé coat? Isn´t this a bad thing? I´m paying for a coat that will be just removed on the lab. I´m really confused about this...

4 - The salesperson (always her :hammer:) also says the lenses come only with Alizé, not Crizal. I think Alizé is a "evolution" of Crizal. What do you think about it?

Thanks again! :bbg:

Carlos

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi All! Luckly I found this forum before purchasing my new glasses. I live on Brazil (Latin America), and lenses choice are very limited here. I have very high myopia (see below my info), and wish to use a rimless frame. I was able to find essilor´s Stylis (1,67) surfaced with cryzal alize, and transitions V (grey), but unfortunately this one is spherical, and wanted it to be aspherical also. My questions:

1 - What edge thickness should I expect? Will it look good or too thick?

2 - Does this lenses worth US$400 (this is the price I´m going to pay for it)?

3 - I read aspherical lenses are better than spherical. Should I search more or just stick with the spherical described above? Are the differences so great worth the time and difficulties to find?

Finally, my "specs":

My PD is 59mm, The frame nose "wire" is 20mm, and the lenses may have between 40-50mm (I wish some suggestions on the diameter too!).

About my Rx, I need some advice. My last glass had -6.00 sphere and 0.50 cylinder on each eye, but my vision was not good, so I went to the same doctor and he prescribed me the same above, but changed cylinder to 0.75. Not big difference, so I went to another doctor who prescribed -6,75 on Right Eye and -6,25 on Left Eye. I think the right eye is correct, but the -6,25 on the left eye seems low and incorrect to me. I always had same values on both eyes, why it would change suddenly? I´m willing to order a glass with -6,75 on both lenses. This is too dangerous or should I go to a third doctor?

I appreciate all help received! If more information is need I´ll be very happy to provide!! :)

Regards,
    Carlos
    I believe the Seiko 1.67 lens is aspheric. Beware, some previously spherical lens wearers have an adjustment period changing to aspheric lenses.

Occupation
    1. I cannot comment on without you in my office

2. There is two types of lenses, surfaced and stock. Surfaced is when the lens is made individually and stock is when they make thousands. Surfacing allows you to make the lenses for a particular frame. In a plus lens it is very beneficial because it will cut down on the thickness, in your rx I do not think it will make it any thinner. However, 1.67 with Alize in Transitions V is not available in a stock lens so you have to surface it. The main benefit of a stock lens is that it is less expensive, however, for certain materials, rx's ect. it is not available. Your rx is an example.

3. No. All stock lenses have been surfaced in the past just the requirements have stayed the same so you could make thousands. After surfacing it is then coated. So your lens will not receive the coating until after it is surfaced.

4. Crizal Alize is the new version of the Crizal coating. It is the same thing as the Crizal lens but much, much easier to clean. There is no point in getting the crizal. I never use the Crizal anymore. It is obsolete now with Alize.

Sounds like you are getting great information. I would go for it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I just found another thing I need to know. I use computer 12h/day and when I go home my eyes feel bad, sometimes I have headaches. Looking for glasses on the web I found a term "Computer Glasses". Should I use one of these while working at the computer? What type of lenses it use?

Occupation
    I just found another thing I need to know. I use computer 12h/day and when I go home my eyes feel bad, sometimes I have headaches. Looking for glasses on the web I found a term "Computer Glasses". Should I use one of these while working at the computer? What type of lenses it use?
    Computer glasses are made so if you have presbyopia. The idea behind computer glasses is if you are wearing bifocals you do not get the ultimum reading and intermediate area, so a second pair for intermediate and reading is needed.

Since you are single vision this is not necessary and does not apply to you. Actually the transitions and AR will help alliviate some of that stress.

Thread Information