Thread: Summer Help At Essilor?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Summer Help At Essilor?

In the last few weeks I have had a very high percentage of coating defects with Crizal Alize. This is still my favorite coating, but I see streaks, fingerprints, and foriegn matter under the coating material.
    Yesterday, I had one job for the same woman with flaws in all four lenses. Three different kinds of flaws but all coating flaws.
    Is Essilor just not able to keep up with the demand? Have they hired inexperienced Summer help? Found out the people from the village work cheaper? Moved the plant next door to Jack Daniels?

What?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Been hearing the same type of things up here

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Nobody is perfect..........................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    In the last few weeks I have had a very high percentage of coating defects with Crizal Alize. This is still my favorite coating, but I see streaks, fingerprints, and foriegn matter under the coating material.
    Yesterday, I had one job for the same woman with flaws in all four lenses. Three different kinds of flaws but all coating flaws.What?
    I am glad to see above post. I was just about getting brainwahed by all the postings of how beautiful and wonderful these particular coatings were to 100%.

At least now I know that even the No 1 can make mistakes and does not have the eyes to see them. (= quality control)

Guess after all, nobody is perfect, not even No 1.

:D

Occupation
    Chip, which facility do you use? We use Opticraft and get fairly good results. Having just installed our own AR unit (Zeiss) I can tell you it sure ain't hard to botch 'em up!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen: Botchin em up is one thing. Letting them go to the retailer is another. Another even more horrible fault is my having so much confidence in my lab an thier coating labs that I didn't catch it. The customer (after dropping over a grand) caught it. Black marks for Essilor, Black marks for Cumberland Optical Labs. And a very, very black mark for Chip.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    murphys law strikes again;)
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation

Yhe perfect one.................

Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    murphys law strikes again
    I guess, even with big advertising the most perfect and best coating in the world.....................there are normal humans doing the job at the end. These humans are bound to error..............so your most perfect coating becomes a not so perfect one once in a while. Therefore the halo of sainthood for this particular product has been removed.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Karen: Botchin em up is one thing. Letting them go to the retailer is another. Another even more horrible fault is my having so much confidence in my lab an thier coating labs that I didn't catch it. The customer (after dropping over a grand) caught it. Black marks for Essilor, Black marks for Cumberland Optical Labs. And a very, very black mark for Chip.
    I would suggest trying an Indepedent Wholesale Lab.

Adam

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    I would suggest trying an Indepedent Wholesale Lab.

Adam
    Well, we are one of those and have occasionally let something leave that shouldn't so that's no guarantee (although I DEFINTELY think everyone should use an independent wholesale lab :shiner: )

Chip darling, it's OK. I figure your patients know you know what you are doing and you are allowed an occasional mistake! (besides, I bet you're sexy in black!!)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Chip, I entirely agree- production glitches are a reality, but inspection glitches should not be. If you find no satisfying answers from your laboratory contact, please feel free to forward the lenses (or a description of the problem and the job number) to me, and I'll do what I can to get at the bottom of it.

I would suggest trying an Indepedent Wholesale Lab. Adam
    Adam brings up a good point. Essilor has shared the Crizal technology with numerous of our independent laboratory partners in the form of EXT units- which allow the independent laboratory to produce Crizal and Crizal Alize, providing the ECP with choices regarding the sourcing of Crizal work.

I guess, even with big advertising the most perfect and best coating in the world.....................there are normal humans doing the job at the end. These humans are bound to error..............so your most perfect coating becomes a not so perfect one once in a while. Therefore the halo of sainthood for this particular product has been removed.
    Pardon me, Chris- but when exactly did someone from Essilor pee on your cornflakes? Just let me know and I'll send them a nasty internal memo or something. I don't recall anyone here ever stating that Essilor- or any of its products- are perfect (or worthy of "sainthood"). As the former manager of MQ in the US, I can state with some authority that no product made by Essilor- or any other manufacturer- is "perfect." I can unequivocably state that Essilor's products had- on average- the best quality in pretty much all the testing conducted while I was managing MQ.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Pardon me, Chris- but when exactly did someone from Essilor pee on your cornflakes?
    I hate it when they do that! :D

[Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week. :) ]

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation

Cornflakes.........................

Pardon me, Chris- but when exactly did someone from Essilor pee on your cornflakes?

Pete, I don't eat cornflakes.........prefer bacon and eggs and nobody from ESSILOR ever did it on them. Maybe I have to reformulate myself by stating that it was NOT directed towards ESSILOR but to some of the Optiboard members that have made numerous statements how much in deep open love they were with some of your products.

As the former manager of MQ in the US, I can state with some authority that no product made by Essilor- or any other manufacturer- is "perfect." I can unequivocably state that Essilor's products had- on average- the best quality in pretty much all the testing conducted while I was managing MQ.
    Good statement to which you have my full support. I have personally alway's liked ESSILOR products and fully agree that nobody is perfect and we all make a glitch sometimes, that is what I said in my statement.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, just as long as we're all happy with each other. I can relate to how you feel about people who are over-enthusiastically in love with one product or another (whether it be ours or someone else's).

Enjoy the bacon and eggs (although I prefer sausage). :bbg:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information