Thread: walmart vision ctr

Is there anyone out there that works for the retail chain? If so how do you like it?

OptiBoard Novice

It all depends on the local management. The company itself is good to work for with good benefits.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

There are definately pro's and con's to working for a chain. I don't make too bad money,but for the amount of work and stress I am under it sometimes does not seem worth it. I agree with Andrea in that alot depends on management. You are always going to have your good managers and your bad ones. Some are more into the retail aspect of it and some really care. You will also find that things are continuously changing. Something that you may have been able to get yesterday you may not be able to get today. You will also find that they have a tendency to hire inexperienced people on a whim and call them opticians when in fact they are just salespeople. We do however get vacation time, insurance, and personal days. Some independants also are able to offer these things,but a chain is much more likely to. I hope this helps in answering your question.
    Have a great day!!!!!!!
    Steph

OptiBoard Novice
    From an insider....I have been with Wal-mart for 7 1/2 years. In the past, I worked for a small fledgling optical company and Pearle Vision (7 years). I can honestly say that I never envisioned myself working for a retail optical chain, but I am glad I made this choice..Don't get me wrong! Every company has it's opportunities! Since I have been with Wal-Mart, I have learned more than I ever thought I would in any job. I am working for a company where I can be an optician, but if I find that the challenge is gone, I have hundreds of other choices
    within the same company where I can go. I have not only advanced in my optical careet, but I have grown as a person with experiences in areas that optical alone would not ever be able to provide. I am 100% a "Wal-Martian" and proud of it! We offer the best quality for the best value. We have fun at work and our customers love it! What could be better than that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

has anyone in the uk applied for the asda walmart branches? i only ask because we have a shop inside asda, and we want to know if we are going to get kicked out!
    After receiving an email from a confused soul, I would like to add that asda is a British supermasket chain that has been taken over by walmart.

[This message has been edited by Maria (edited 09-05-2000).]

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wal-mart in las vegas

wal-mart optical has been very good to me as well,i'm two semesters away from sitting before the board and earning a license and degree. in the state of nevada which isn't easy. the pay here in nevada starst at $28 dollars and hour. yes somedays i'm overwhelmed with lots of patients and a few opticians and apprentices/but i love the challenge of making patients happy and giving excellent customer service.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked as an optician for 37 years. I have to agree with some of the others that it depends on the management but my experiences with Walmart/Sam's has been exceptionally positive.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by geoflem View Post
    wal-mart optical has been very good to me as well,i'm two semesters away from sitting before the board and earning a license and degree. in the state of nevada which isn't easy. the pay here in nevada starst at $28 dollars and hour. yes somedays i'm overwhelmed with lots of patients and a few opticians and apprentices/but i love the challenge of making patients happy and giving excellent customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by specpeddlar View Post
    I have worked as an optician for 37 years. I have to agree with some of the others that it depends on the management but my experiences with Walmart/Sam's has been exceptionally positive.
    I'm glad you guys have positive bexperiences to share, but do you realize this thread is six and a half years old.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I'm glad you guys have positive bexperiences to share, but do you realize this thread is six and a half years old.
    I thought I was the only one that seen that. ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What glasses are dispensed in Las Vegas stay in Las Vegas

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Never worked for Walmart

I have never worked for walmart. I understand that the opticians pay a large premium for health insurance . I know of infractions of the law which the company has committed to less fortuneate status employess which is a documentary and commentary in the local film rental establishments(such as blockbuster, netflicks, ect.) The film titled, "Is Walmart Good for America" give unresounding proof of its practices both here and abroad.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Delusional

I am a WalMart dual licensed optician and former manager!!! Geo in Lost Wages has an neophytic outlook towards Wally world!! I was one of the first managers in California in a district which included parts of Nevada, and although one of my fellow managers from the original group is still with Wal Mart, ALL of the originals are gone (in only 4 years). I love optics as much as anyone but Wal-Mart though very effective in presenting product to the consumer, does it in a misleading way. CR39 the best material in most mid to low Rxs is not allowed to be on the price mat!!! Nevada is one of the few states where WalMart HAS to respect opticianry because of licensing laws, but in areas outside of Vegas they are "NOT profitable", and that quote is from a manager in Nevada who has been a Wal Mart manager for more years than that nubile Geo has been on the planet. Wal Mart will destroy quality opticianry in any states where opticians have no respect for the field in which they work. In California they are grooming $8.00 an hour associates to take the ABO and NCLE and giving them a $.50 raise per license and maybe $1.00 to $2.00 raise per state cert, bringing them to a whopping $13.00, then management for another $2.00 if lucky!!! Bonuses are constantly being decreased and expectations for more sales (not quality of sales) are increased. Upper management could care less about re-do %s. If an individual is idiotic enough to trust Wal Mart and its ever-changing policies ...... GO fo IT! A good vision center manager will make the experience tolerable at Wal Mart, and a good DM is helpful as well .... but from the regional to the in store vision manager it can get really ugly!!! All states should be as powerful as Nevada, Washington, Connecticut, and some others in assuring opticians get top dollar!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Walmart Practices

Another good film on the Megagiant Walmart is "Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Prices" which can be rented at your favorite movie rental establishment.
    Producer, director and activist Robert Greenwald takes aim at the corporate giant that's come to symbolize big business in America: Wal-Mart. Blasting the box-store Goliath for allegedly paying substandard wages, skimping on employee health benefits and eviscerating communities, this hard-hitting, emotional documentary profiles the struggle of everyday folks from around the country who've committed themselves to fighting the mega-retailer.

Thread Information