Thread: wrap frames and RX - Is there a limit?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

wrap frames and RX - Is there a limit?

Assuming you are doing Rx lenses on wrap frames (base curve of the demo-lens 8 or higher) do you limit the prescription? If you do, what is your limit?

I get some crazy orders form a client that does not understand the limits involved. He sends me some orders as high as (-6.50/-2.50) and (+8.00/-2.00)

And expects me to frame them nice and clean.

What do you do with it and in generally how are you handling the assemble of high prescription in high curve frames?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Not in wrap...........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Oriki
    What do you do with it and in generally how are you handling the assemble of high prescription in high curve frames?
    - 6.00 D in wrap around............can not be done.................and should not be done.

Optically and mechanically a totally crazy non satisfactory feat.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My sentiments exactly Chris.

Happy Canada day eh.

/What?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    - 6.00 D in wrap around............can not be done.................and should not be done.

Optically and mechanically a totally crazy non satisfactory feat.
    I have a patient with a -5.50 who is unable to wear CTL and rides a motorcycle. We made a wrap frame with a foam insert (designed to keep out wind/debris, and prevent dry eye) using 7 base lenses (it was not an exceptionally large frame, only 6mm dec OU), and since the patient knew what to expect, she LOVES them. I would agree to a point with chris but I feel that it shouldn't be done indescriminately, but to not consider it as an option would have been doing this patient a disservice. It took a lot of work to do, but given her positive reaction, it was worth it in this case.

AA

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I work for LensCrafters and we have what is called "processing guidelines". It's basically a form that details the Rx ranges that are acceptable for what kind of jobs (drill mounts etc).

On our "sola technologies" order form, it actually states what the Rx range needs to be ... and we need to specify the base curve of the lens (I think the limit is 8).

I'm sorry I don't have the Rx range off the top of head to share with you. I DO know that we will not process any cyl over 2D in wrap frames.

HTH -

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Oriki
    Assuming you are doing Rx lenses on wrap frames (base curve of the demo-lens 8 or higher) do you limit the prescription? If you do, what is your limit?

I get some crazy orders form a client that does not understand the limits involved. He sends me some orders as high as (-6.50/-2.50) and (+8.00/-2.00)

And expects me to frame them nice and clean.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    I work for LensCrafters and we have what is called "processing guidelines". It's basically a form that details the Rx ranges that are acceptable for what kind of jobs (drill mounts etc).

On our "sola technologies" order form, it actually states what the Rx range needs to be ... and we need to specify the base curve of the lens (I think the limit is 8).

I'm sorry I don't have the Rx range off the top of head to share with you. I DO know that we will not process any cyl over 2D in wrap frames.

HTH -

Karen

The guidelines used at lenscrafters are arbitrary at best. They have no bearing on what is acceptable or possible, only what Central Lab is willing to process.

We had many occasions when I worked for LC that Central Lab refused to process an Rx for no other reason than that was what their guidelines were. We instead sent them to a local private lab who did a great job with them, and the patients always left satisfied. I wouldn't put too much credence in those guidelines.

For example, if I'm not mistaken there is (was) a limit of about -4 with a -2 cyl on drill mounts. If a patient has a -0.25 -4.00 x 180 in a small B measurement frame, there is going to be little or no thickness issue, so Why not process it? Maybe they've tweaked them recently, so I may be a bit off.

AA

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Aarlan -

I agree that the LC processing guidelines are "narrow-minded" and frustrating! :hammer: (and the example you mentioned about the drill mounts ... that's about MY rx ... and it's frustrating that I can't get it in my company !!)

However, I am hoping to suggest that perhaps Oriki should put together a processing guidelines chart for his own business and share it with his clients.
    I guess I didn't make that clear in my post! (this dang headcold ...:o )

Karen

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Aarlan -

I agree that the LC processing guidelines are "narrow-minded" and frustrating! :hammer: (and the example you mentioned about the drill mounts ... that's about MY rx ... and it's frustrating that I can't get it in my company !!)

However, I am hoping to suggest that perhaps Oriki should put together a processing guidelines chart for his own business and share it with his clients.

Karen
    Got it! Not a bad idea at all!

AA

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Aarlan -

Karen
    We can process outside of the guidlines. We just use them as a reference. They are pretty limited. Our central lab will pretty much do anything for us. Our biggest problems with wraps have been long a measurements and lensses popping out. This has been never ending.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    Our biggest problems with wraps have been long a measurements and lensses popping out. This has been never ending.
    I too have had many requests and made 8 base jobs with ridiculously high numbers for patients and other opticians, and the majority of them have turned out OK....... Beats me !!!!

Regarding long 'A' measurements and lenses popping out: Fortunately nearly all of these jobs are for tinted lenses in plastics frames and I've found that after the lens has been finished to size (NEVER TOO LARGE) I hand bevel the back of the lens to almost a knife edge at the front to emulate the thickness of the original sun plano that was in the frame.

Yes, it doesn't look too pretty, but after dyeing the lens the steep bevel can't be seen.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    We can process outside of the guidlines. We just use them as a reference. They are pretty limited. Our central lab will pretty much do anything for us. Our biggest problems with wraps have been long a measurements and lensses popping out. This has been never ending.
    I have found that the main issue with processing wraps instore is that the tracer seems to elongate the A and narrows the B (frame is getting stretched).. So we trace demos.. if the lens is a hint large, it can be enough to pop the top out.. so sometimes I hand edge the sides to get it just right..

Cassandra

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    I have found that the main issue with processing wraps instore is that the tracer seems to elongate the A and narrows the B (frame is getting stretched).. So we trace demos.. if the lens is a hint large, it can be enough to pop the top out.. so sometimes I hand edge the sides to get it just right..

Cassandra
    I second that. Although the handwork is sometimes time-consuming, a wrap frame in most cases cannot be done properly without it. If the lens is popping out, the frame is not Rxable, or the lens is not properly edged, sized and beveled.

AA

Thread Information