Thread: Questions about the Definity lens

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Questions about the Definity lens

I am excited about this lens after reading about it here. I have never used it. I notice on the VSP website that you have to choose a frame shape when you order the lens.

Do you fit it like any other progressive according to height? I generally mark the corneal reflex in the eye and fit right below it.

I wear progressives now and like them, but I can certainly tell they aren't single vision. Is this more like a single vision lens? I would love a wider reading and clearer side vision.

Thanks for any imformation on this lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fit as usual. Regular Definity is at 18 and above. The Definity Short is 15-18. As with all progressives adjust the frame and minimize your vertex distance. Visit Definity.com for more info.

We fit a variety of lenses. One of our MD's and one of our OD's plus myself wear a variety of lens designs. I would like to add that the MD & OD both have a 3.00 cyls and wore the Vizio 1.66 atoric previously. As single vision wearers they liked them. There are many good out there. I must say on both of our behalf the the Definity offers the widest & smoothest distance intermediate and near. They are wider than the others we wear. Our next one on deck is the comparable vision we have is the Kodak Precise. I wear a 2.25 add. The OD wears a 1.50.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you personally worn the Kodak Precise? Are you saying this lens is similar?

My favorite glasses I have now is the Sola One. I do need to update my rx and would like to try the Definity.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Regarding a "single vision lens" feel, as you have noticed, no PAL is going to feel completely like a single vision lens.

There are design elements that can be employed to provide a more similar perception to that of a single vision lens, however...

The first element has to do with why a single vision lens "feels better" than a PAL. After all- even though some people talk about "distortion free" lenses- single vision lenses do have distortion (and marginal astigmatism- along with all the other common aberrations that come when you place a lens at a vertex distance greater than 0 from the eye's lens stop- the pupil).

The reason distortion in a single vision lens is usually less noticeable is because the distortion is similar to both eyes- or yoked. Pre-LASIK, I wore a -4.75 in each eye. When I looked away from center (and even in my peripheral vision when I looked through the optical center of the lens), there was plenty of prism, unwanted astigmatism, etc. The reason I didn't mind it- or even notice it most of the time- was because both eyes were perceiving the same amount of prism, cylinder, etc. A PAL design that is striving to feel more "single vision" like is going to need to be well-balanced in each quadrant of the lens.

Ironically, making the design "wide" (from a spherical area standpoint) makes this more difficult/less possible to achieve. Also, the shorter the progression, the harder the challenge will be to maintain binocular balance in all areas of the lens.

If you want a somewhat "single vision" like experience, Varilux Panamic was designed incorporating a concept called Global Design Management, which provides well matched optical characteristics in all quadrants of the lens.

Regarding the fitting of Definity, I would recommend using the standard fitting guidelines used for most PALs- about 8 degrees of pantoscopic tilt, a small amount of faceform, reduction of vertex distance as much as is practicable, with the fitting cross fit directly over the corneal reflex.
    If you have access to both lenses, I would encourage you to try them both and discriminate the differences between designs. Most all PALs "work" (Sola VIP is still the third most sold design in the US today, and it works)- some PALs work better than others. While different patients have different visual needs (all people do not perceive a single PAL design the same- but that's getting into Varilux Ipseo), it can't hurt to have personal weariing experience with the lenses you recommend!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, I have personally tried 9 different progressives and they all work. Some I like more then others, though. I like the Panamic but I don't notice they are any better then several others. I need a new rx and would like to try something new. Nothing beats actually wearing a particualar brand when talking about it.

I am interested in the Varilux Ellipise(sp), Hoya CD wide, and the Definity. The Hoya I can get for free so I am certainly leaning that way! The Definity interests me, however. I am just wondering if it is a lot better then all these other premuim progressives. Maybe I will try both.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes,I also have a Kodak Precise and wear it as a polarized gray with black mirror coating. I also have a Sola One; Varilux Comfort; Ellipse; AO Compact; Zeiss Gradal;Outlook; Ovation;VIP/ XL plus the Gold versions;Image; Rodenstock xs;etc. I am also waiting for a Shamir Autograph & Piccolo.

My latest Silhouette Elegance Drill will have the Definity Short with Gemcoat Alize.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, you have worn a lot of different lenses. I would love to know what you thought of each of them and how they compare.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worn progressives over the last 11 years. As every ones brain is different, I find that with progressive lenses, some work better for others. Many things occur as an advancing presbyope.

No one manufacturer has the lens that is the perfect panacea for a patient. If they do, they are blindsided to what the brain really does. If they don't they realize the same thing. Look at ice cream as an example....lots of different flavors since every ones palate is different. It is similar to how we select all things that appeal to our senses.

I am not an arm chair quarterback or a back seat driver, I actually test drive and wear not only progressives but "office style lenses' as I am a hands on manager. I do 40 % of my time working in our dispensary so I always stay in touch with our patient base. Our patient base is older with many medical conditions that affect their vision. Often a progressive is not the best choice for many reasons.

At present, I wear a 2.25 add although I am 2 score 8 years. One eye slightly farsighted (as I aged) and the other slightly near sighted. I have approximately a 1 D imbalance with 1D hyperphoria. I believe the best way to discuss a product is to discuss FAB's (Features, Advantages & Benefits).

It is easier to sell and decide what will work well for a patient based on experience and performance. Please note that I also research;write and present continuing education. I find more remakes with my none presbyopic employees. They often do not recognize that there are differences in progresives and you need to match lens designs to patients needs and consider the design if they wore progressives previously.

You got to Know when to hold em and then know when to fold em. Everything can be based on the concept of the basic car to the Mercedes.
    Hope this helps.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I would like to know is what you thought of the different lenses. I realize different people like different lenses. For example, I like the Sola One but didn't care for the Sola Max. Another optician I work with liked the Sola Max, but not the Sola One. We both have liked the Panamic and Hoya Wide. Neither of us liked the Concise much, though I can wear it.

She is more sensitive to distortion in progressives then I am. I put on my first pair and adapted right away. It took her a couple of weeks, she hated them at first.

I am particularly interested in your opinion of the Compact, Ovation, Outlook, and Ellipse.

Thank you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest you learn about progressive lens design. There are articles at Vision Care Product News and others that talk about design differences. Hard; Soft; Multi, etc. You need to learn to match the design with the patients needs and the family of lenses you are choosing from. Try to match individuaks up with more current designs in the lens styles they are used to. PS, the patients enjoy' learnig

Great Area and drieablr

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hey bev... is that vision care news the name of the publication or website? Please direct me to some online resources that you've found information about.. thank you

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur
    hey bev... is that vision care news the name of the publication or website? Please direct me to some online resources that you've found information about.. thank you

I think she is referring to: http://www.visioncareproducts.com (they have a magazine also).

HTH

Karen

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev, never mind.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    I would suggest you learn about progressive lens design. There are articles at Vision Care Product News and others that talk about design differences. Hard; Soft; Multi, etc. You need to learn to match the design with the patients needs
    Wow that would be great
    Meanwhile, thanks for the link, i'll read up a bit on that myself!

Thread Information