Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had problems with crazing on Crizal Alize?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Has anyone had problems with crazing on Crizal Alize?

In 1 weeks time we had 2 pairs of Crizal Alize craze. The first pair crazed when he was wearing them while using a grill. The second pair crazed when an optician warmed the frame in a hot air frame warmer. She told me the lenses crazed before her eyes.

Now I know that too much heat isn't good for ar lenses, but we have never had a problem before or with regular Crizal. I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope, been the best AR to date.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are you sure they really were Crizal?

I got some once from a distributor that my Essilor rep said was not an authorized distributor, and the price seemed too good to be true.

Didn't track those lenses to see if they scratched, but I got suspicious of the possibility of counterfeits when the stock lenses started having the watermark.

Harry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup! I like regular crizal better then Alize. It wears better, I have had much better success with reg crizal.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have not had problems but here is some insight.

When we moved to our old location a OD around that location stopped dispensing and moved. He always put on his scripts when he dispensed Life XS with Crizal (yes, life xs even if you have a frame with a 80B). Anyways, all of his customers lenses crazed as we noticed when they came to us. At that time we used Crizal. So my hypothesis was the Rodenstock was putting a hardcoat on the lens and then Essilor was coating them.

My lab rep (Essilor lab, but different Essilor lab than the OD's) told me that he would get his lenses coated in Vancouver and Montreal where the other lab would get them coated in Toronto, and that the it was the manufacturering of it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sure it was Crizal. At least I am trusting the lab that we have used for years that it was. The invoices said Crizal Alize.

Absolutely!!!! I thought it was just me. I go dispense a Alize job, go heat it up, before patient puts on, lens is crazed and is very obvious marks that weren't on there before. Mainly when heating frame. I have had this happen 2-3 different times. These were definitely Alize jobs because they were stock lenses and I personally saw them out of the packages. Most uncut jobs from lab seem ok, but stock lenses seem to have most problem. I thought it was something I was doing that was causing this. I still love the coating, but I am very careful heating up zyl frames with ALize lense.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My one patient had his craze when he was grilling outside! Am I supposed to tell people not to grill in their glasses?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    My one patient had his craze when he was grilling outside! Am I supposed to tell people not to grill in their glasses?
    Coming out of the air conditioned house and work on grill xan just do it to the best lens. Fast change from cold to hot.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It could be that the Stock Crizal Alize are not made with the same hardcoat that Rx Jobs are made with. I believe that all Essilor stock lenses are now being made in Thailand. This crazing happens when you have different coefficients of expansion between the lens and the coatings.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, but the problems seem to only be with stock lenses, we haven't had the problems with surface jobs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    This is an opportunity to sell task-specific specailty "grilling glasses". They're safer and heat resistant.:bbg:

PS - I've seen no issues with Alize crazing.
    ...Just ask me...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Strange, because I have been doing the lens for 18 months and have had only one or two come back on me, and that was abuse. I actually find them more duriable than regular Crizal.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I would agree that the Stock lenses seem to have more of an issue then the custom Rx jobs coated by an Essilor local lab. We have seen that the difference is in the hardcoat.

There is no difference between Crizal and Crizal Alize except for the difference in the hydrophobic coatings that are applied.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AR is heat sensitive

Forget where I read it but was shocked to learn AR can craze when exposed to as little as 130 degrees fahrenheight (54.4 centigrade).
    I advise all patients that even leaving them in a case in your car on a hot summer day can effect the angstroms thick coating.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had one or two craze on me after leaving it in the air warmer for about two seconds too long. Adjusting zyl frames with heavy bridges is a little trickier for me now...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You would think they "Essilor" is able fiqure out a way that coating will be more long lasting in the heat. I have one of my doctor told me that he was wearing his sunglasses driving and his regular pair with Alize in the case. after a few hours retuning in the car he notices that his 1.67 lenses with Alize is ruin. The condition on that that was hot 90+ degrees and humid.
    Another instance I have with my patient with Alize, is a gentleman is working in the car wash, after 31/2 months of wear he brought back the glasses to me and it looks like a water spot all over the lenses. Of course the only thing I could think of is due to the harsh chemical,soaps and again the temperature. Remake time again!!! So beware of job occupation too. Might not be appropriate to the Car wash employees or people washing thier cars in the summer time .
    I do tons of AR and return rate and satisfaction with Crizal is still Great!!! Of course Summer is just starting. I will continue on using the coating. Just this instances I notice, HOPE "Essilor" is listening

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecare4U
    You would think they "Essilor" is able fiqure out a way that coating will be more long lasting in the heat.
    Sure they can make a coating that is more resistant to heat, but you'll be P/O'd when it starts to scratch. Heat resistant lens (ability of the hardcoat to flex with the lens) = Softer hard coat (more scratching). More scratch resistant lens (rigid hard coat)= Less resistant to changes in temperature (crazing), take your pick.
    Last edited by Jedi; 06-30-2005 at 12:11 AM.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JEDI....I am picking both, I will spend my money to whoever could come up with the best product. It is an opportunity for R&d DEPT to get working and fix the problem.
    rey

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    JEDI....I am picking both, I will spend my money to whoever could come up with the best product. It is an opportunity for R&d DEPT to get working and fix the problem.
    EC4U- What you have to understand is that in the current way coatings are applied/made/done there is a balance on how resistant to crazing the coating is compared to how scratch resistant the coating is. They have an inverse relationship to each other. I'm with you, I would love a scratch proof and craze proof ARC, but I would also love a distortion free progressive and three wishes too.;)
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation

Crazing........................

You would think they "Essilor" is able fiqure out a way that coating will be more long lasting in the heat.
    "ESSILOR" is not any better than other coaters. They are just bigger, laarger, wider and longer and take much longer to make decisions, because too many people are involved to make changes.

When AR coating lenses are under tremedous heat for the process. This changes the structure of some lens materials.

Has any one tried a dropball test on AR coated CR39 lenses? Do one and then make a posting right here with the results.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

Has any one tried a dropball test on AR coated CR39 lenses? Do one and then make a posting right here with the results.
    poly 1.8 center........crazed
    trivex 1.2 center.........crazed
    7x28 cr39........ OK
    tri fo exec cr39.......OK
    tri fo 8x35 CR39..........OK
    tri fo 8x35 Cr39.........OK
    7x28 trans CR39.........OK
    Ft35 CR39 trans................OK
    Ft35 CR39 trans.........OK
    progressive trans cr39...........OK
    ft28 trans CR39.............OK
    ft28 clear gold AR cr39........OK
    8x35 clear cr39...........OK
    8x35 clear cr39.............OK
    high index ? 1.6 center..............OK
    poly 1.6 center.......OK
    poly 1.9 center.......OK

All were scrap lenses, I do not know what AR was applied.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation

Blue Jumper Valuable Information.......................

Thanks Jofelk,

I think you gave some valuable information for all on the Optiboard. I suppose the poly and trivex crazed as the lenses are more flexible than CR 39 and the AR coating existing of SIO2 (silicone dioxyde = Glass) did not flex along with it.

Maybe some others can do similar test's so we could establish some mean value and that we could have a certain type of standard and know which ones will work without problems.

That should help anybody selling AR coated lenses.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I still suspect there are a lot of counterfeit lenses out there.

Happened with pro-clear contacts. How hard could it be to print up a fake Alize package?

Harry

OptiBoard Novice

Crizal Crazing

Today, I went to the beach leaving my specs in a hard cover case on the dash of my car. After several hours at the beach, I returned to the car and put on my specs. Vision was all cloudy...I could not see well enough to drive. I tried cleaning them to no avail. Finally, my wife noticed that the coating was all "wavy". I would call it "orange peel"..a term they use to describe a bad paint job on a car.

After reading this forum, I have now figured out that my Crizal lens have a problem. I remember paying extra for the coating. I also remember how exhuberant my optician was about Crizal.

I now know not to barbeque or leave specs on auto dash on a hot day. Tomorrow I have to find someone who can remove the Crizal coating. Wish me luck.

Thread Information