Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Take a Master Exam

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You could try "Geometric, Physical, and Visual Optics, 2e" if you really want to get into it.
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0750672625
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    You could try "Geometric, Physical, and Visual Optics, 2e" if you really want to get into it.
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0750672625
    Thanks Wes I found the 1986 version on http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ150365anks do you think it will be sufficient or do I need to spend the $100 plus.

Occupation
    I haven't seen the first edition, so I can't say for sure. My feeling on it is that the applicable math, physics, and anatomy hasn't changed in the last 30 years. It makes me wonder about the decision to release a 2nd edition.

Keep in mind these books are way overkill for taking the Advanced NOCE, but will give you a very advanced understanding of the optics of vision and corrective devices.

Stoner, Perkins and Ferguson's book is probably more appropriate for the exam.

Both are part of my still-growing library.

(Fezz, do you have any more boxes of books for sale?)

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I took this formula from the NAO Math Review book and no-where is it refered to as the conjugate foci formula nor is there any reference to it in the NAO Advanced Opticians Tutorial.
    Some writers may refer to it as the "Fundamental Paraxial Equation," although "Conjugate Foci" formula is actually more descriptive, since the formula describes the the relationship between conjugate object and image distances produced by a lens or surface.

Just keep in mind that, at the end of the day, it is the relationship that is important, not the name of the relationship.

And any textbook on optics will rely on this formula, since it represents one of the most fundamental principles of geometrical optics. You will also find this formula and its applications described in the textbook that I recommended earlier, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing.

I have ordered Ellen Stoners Optical Formulas Tutorial hopefully it is referenced there and with the common sign convention.
    As Wes indicated, this should be a good reference for the ABO Advanced Exam.

The Advanced Opticians Tutorial is a fine review source for everything but geometric optics and lens design.
    Oddly enough, this topic was the emphasis of the original ABO Master Exam, which is why the certification was described as the "Master in Ophthalmic Optics" certification. Personally, I don't agree with the content of the new ABO Advanced Exam.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl, would you please elaborate on why you don't agree with the content of the new ABO Advanced Exam.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by agr8194 View Post
    Darryl, would you please elaborate on why you don't agree with the content of the new ABO Advanced Exam.
    I'm not Darryl, but I agree with his point. These are my thoughts:
    The ABOM certification reads: Master in Ophthalmic Optics, not Master Optician. Yet the exam content was changed from a focus on ophthalmic optics to a focus on advanced opticianry, while the title remains. It is not as accurate.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Darryl, would you please elaborate on why you don't agree with the content of the new ABO Advanced Exam
    I think Wes pretty much summed it up. I would describe the issues with the new "Master" certification as follows:

1. The exam content no longer emphasizes ophthalmic optics and dispensing, as the description of the certification implies. Instead, the exam has become a catchall for virtually any and every topic possibly associated with opticianry. In particular, there are now many questions associated with business management, which I believe are inappropriate for a certification exam on either basic or advanced ophthalmic optics and dispensing. In fact, fewer and fewer opticians actually run their own business anymore. If the ABO organization really feels the need to test opticians on business management topics, they should do so with a separate certification exam dedicated specifically to that very broad subject.

2. I have been told that the difficulty level of the Advanced Exam has been reduced significantly compared to the original Master Exam, with less difficult optical questions and fewer computational problems. I assume that this was done because of the low pass rate of the original Master Exam, which in my experience was due more often than not to a lack of sufficent preparation because the ABO organization did not adequately characterize the nature of the exam to potential test takers. So, in my opinion, the Advanced Exam no longer truly demonstrates mastery of the principles and practical applications of ophthlamic optics and dispensing.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to the domain information in the NOA Advanced Optician Tutorial there appx 47 questions that cover anatomy, physiology, refractive errors, pathology, medical conditions and surgeries as well as visual assessment. There are approximately 57 questions related to Identifying patient wants, Opticas, Lens materials, tints, AR and coatings, fitting and adjusting and low vision devices. There are roughly 25 questions on HIPAA and Finance/Business management. Finally there are roughly 22 questions on Surfacing methods, lensometer/Verfication, FED, STATE and local guidelines, regulations and standards for fabrication. I have talked to people who did not pass who had gone so far as to take review courses and who felt very prepared. So my fear is that we prepare for a very technical exam and fail because there is very little technical in the exam. I am going to cover all bases. I am enjoy learning the computations and increasing my understanding of optics and will continue after the exam pass or fail. Maybe there should be two levels Advanced and Master what do you think?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am thrilled with Optical Formulas Tutorial by Stoner, Perkins and Feruson. It is thorough, clear and has alot of great review questions. It is a true text book with a thorough 'Table of Contents' and Index so everything is easy to find. I am so happy I have been struggling with very poorly compiled Tutorials that even have errors which blows my confidence in them. I will reiterate the Advanced Opticians Tutorial is fine if you want to get a very general idea of the types of topics to study but for the technical topics definitely get the Optical Formulas Tutorial its awesome!!!! Is anyone else taking the Advanced Exam November 4th in Virginia?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optin View Post
    I am thrilled with Optical Formulas Tutorial by Stoner, Perkins and Feruson. It is thorough, clear and has alot of great review questions. It is a true text book with a thorough 'Table of Contents' and Index so everything is easy to find. I am so happy I have been struggling with very poorly compiled Tutorials that even have errors which blows my confidence in them. I will reiterate the Advanced Opticians Tutorial is fine if you want to get a very general idea of the types of topics to study but for the technical topics definitely get the Optical Formulas Tutorial its awesome!!!! Is anyone else taking the Advanced Exam November 4th in Virginia?
    I will be at the November Advanced exam along with a classmate of mine from the Opticianry program. Are you takin a review class?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No review course but I am studying intensely and praying a lot. Are you taking review course? None of it scares me except making sure I enter the correct sequence of keys in the calculator for the formulas. It is so much faster than following the order of operations the old fashion way. Many of the formulas in the above referenced tutorial are not referenced in the NAO Advanced Exam review tutorial but I am making sure I have them memorized. Any that are referenced in NAO review will be on the back pages of the test. They will provide us with scientific calculators. Have you talked to anyone who took it in the last couple of years? There are two different formulas referenced for Martins tilt one that requires index of refraction and the other has 3 as the denominator. My understanding is that the later is a close approximation for glass and cr39. I know that I have to really read the questions carefully and I have to be careful to make sure I use the correct sign. Good to talk to someone else that is dealing with preparing for the exam. Best of luck.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There are two different formulas referenced for Martins tilt one that requires index of refraction and the other has 3 as the denominator. My understanding is that the later is a close approximation for glass and cr39
    Yes, a term like "2n" in an equation would be very nearly equal to 3 for hard resin (n = 1.499) or glass (n = 1.523).

I know that I have to really read the questions carefully and I have to be careful to make sure I use the correct sign
    Formulas are fine, but be sure to understand the principles well enough to know what sign the answer should have. Then you can simply modify your answer as needed.

For instance, increasing the vertex distance of a plus lens brings the focus forward, thereby increasing the effective power of the lens. So, when calculating vertex distance compensation for this lens, your answer should have less plus power.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No review course for me either. I'm going over my old tests from school for the formulas and reading, reading, reading. I think that after I'm through using the ABO Tutorial for my guide of what areas to study I will donate it to my instructor where I received my Opticianry Degree. It has no use for a reference whatsoever, and he may be able to incorporate a few more things into the program for those who wish to take the Advanced Exam. Good luck to you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optin View Post
    According to the domain information in the NOA Advanced Optician Tutorial there appx 47 questions that cover anatomy, physiology, refractive errors, pathology, medical conditions and surgeries as well as visual assessment. There are approximately 57 questions related to Identifying patient wants, Opticas, Lens materials, tints, AR and coatings, fitting and adjusting and low vision devices. There are roughly 25 questions on HIPAA and Finance/Business management. Finally there are roughly 22 questions on Surfacing methods, lensometer/Verfication, FED, STATE and local guidelines, regulations and standards for fabrication. I have talked to people who did not pass who had gone so far as to take review courses and who felt very prepared. So my fear is that we prepare for a very technical exam and fail because there is very little technical in the exam. I am going to cover all bases. I am enjoy learning the computations and increasing my understanding of optics and will continue after the exam pass or fail. Maybe there should be two levels Advanced and Master what do you think?
    I think "no child left behind" thinking should be left behind in an ABOM exam.

B

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think "no child left behind" thinking should be left behind in an ABOM exam
    Well put.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a conversation with Curt Duff at a meeting a year or so ago and he told me there is only a pool of 150 questions for the advanced exam vs about 1500 for the basic exam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely! I was refering to the actual calculator entries related to various formulas. I could get a completely different answer if I don't enter the correct signs in the correct order using the correct keys. I am very comfortable with the principal behind vertex changes and their effect on the power of the lens as well as the effect of tilt both pantoscopic and face form on spherical and cylinder power. There are advanced concepts that I am still wrapping my brain around; curved mirror being one. Thanks to your review questions I am very comfortable with Phythogorean Theorem and resolving prism. Math is not my strength and using a scientific calculator is new to me so the learning curve in these areas is slowing me down especially since I don't have an instructor to ask for help. Thank you for your help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck to you as well and thank you! I agree that the tutorial is primarily useful for a guide of what topics will be covered and is OK for topics other than optical optics. I have found errors but there are errors in the Optical Formulas tutorial as well. My biggest complaint about the Advanced tutorial is that it is not indexed so I cannot refer to a chapter if I am stumped on a question. I also find that their sample review questons are exspecially easy and don't reflect much advanced knowledge. This is why I went looking for more advanced review material. The Optical Formulas review fits the bill and online resources including the review test that Daryl put in an Optiboard thread has been helpful. I am a little jealous that you have recently finished school since this will all be more fresh in your brain. I love a challeng but I am petrified of failing this exam.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do feel a little advantage having just finished school. We were tested on all but the thick lens power calc. & the lens thickness equation. All prism calculations including vert imbalance were tested without the formulas supplied for the test as well as layout, decentration, vertex, etc. It's just all this rambling about the management questions that has me worried. Plus I'm taking the Advanced Contact Lens test that same day.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by agr8194 View Post
    ... Plus I'm taking the Advanced Contact Lens test that same day.
    You're braver than I was. I waited a year between the two.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A number of decades ago, I and another very talented optician worked for one if the NYS Board members. He adked us to write about 2/3's new questions for the Ophthalmic Dispensing part of what was a 7 (!) part written exam, taken over 3 days.

The total questions for each part was 100, so we wrote about 65 that year. The passing grade was 65.
    Unfortunately, questions the three of us thought were really challenging caused the average grade for that section to drop to 35!

After some deliberation, I understand the board simply threw out the ophthalmic dispensing part that year.
    My boss defended the questions to no avail.

I guess some will always see more the challenge and fun in our field than others.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-11-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    A number of decades ago, I and another very talented optician worked for one if the NYS Board members. He adked us to write about 2/3's new questions for the Ophthalmic Dispensing part of what was a 7 (!) part written exam, taken over 3 days.

The total questions for each part was 100, so we wrote about 65 that year. The passing grade was 65.
    Unfortunately, questions the three of us thought were really challenging caused the average grade for that section to drop to 35!

After some deliberation, I understand the board simply threw out the ophthalmic dispensing part that year.
    My boss defended the questions to no avail.

I guess some will always see more the challenge and fun in our field than others.

B
    I remember this story. It seems like this happened all over the country. Opticianry in America threw out the ophthalmics years ago.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    You're braver than I was. I waited a year between the two.
    I took both of my certification exams on the same day as well. I received a lot of "You're crazy!" comments from others taking the exams along with the test officials. There were 9 of us from our program taking both tests that day. One of us failed the CL test by 1 pt. & passed the Spec., everyone else passed both exams. Hoping to keep the streak rolling.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post

Practice Master Exam

5. What kind of prism can be incorporated into single vision aspheric lenses without significantly affecting lens performance?
    a. All prism
    b. Prescribed prism
    c. Prism for decentration
    d. No prism

Maybe I do not understand the question properly but I chose "d. No prism".

I chose that answer because I agree with this statement.
    No prism can be incorporated into single vision aspheric lenses without significantly affecting lens performance.

If an OD prescribed prism and it was incorporated into a single vision aspheric lense (or any lens) of course it would significantly affect lens performance. Hopefully it would improve the lens performance. i.e. The patient would be more satisfied. Correct?

Thanks very much everyone who contributed to this thread especially Darryl Meister. I enjoyed taking the practice test thoroughly and appreciate it as excellent preparation for the ABO Advanced Exam.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJpawn View Post
    Maybe I do not understand the question properly but I chose "d. No prism".

I chose that answer because I agree with this statement.
    No prism can be incorporated into single vision aspheric lenses without significantly affecting lens performance.

If an OD prescribed prism and it was incorporated into a single vision aspheric lense (or any lens) of course it would significantly affect lens performance. Hopefully it would improve the lens performance. i.e. The patient would be more satisfied. Correct?

Thanks very much everyone who contributed to this thread especially Darryl Meister. I enjoyed taking the practice test thoroughly and appreciate it as excellent preparation for the ABO Advanced Exam.
    It is actually prescribed prism. It implies surfacing.
    You can't decenter an aspheric for prism without screwing up the optics.
    Since one is true and one is false, then the other two questions denoting all and none are wrong.

Thread Information