Thread: I am first!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am first!

When do you think there will be something tottaly new?
    I mean like transition from FT/rounds to Progressive lenses.
    The whole new breed of making our vision better?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm the first to reply!! But I really don't have anything to contribute sorry:hammer:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Curious short corridor sighting

Today we had a visit from a frame rep who gave a talk to the office staff. I noticed that she was wearing tiny little frames that she constantly took on and off her face. It was obvious that she was having a major problem seeing both near and distance. Finally, I wrung the awful truth out of her...she was wearing Shamir's Piccolo in an unbelievably small frame. I suspect that her distance was blurry because her pupil centers were already in the intermediate zone, and her near was probably cut off entirely by the edging. She was wearing a great lens and super fashionable frame but she could neither see distance or near. And she was a frames rep with years in the business! A lesson to the wise..Don't be greedy.

Ilan

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How old was she? Just guess? Did she need a larger frame & different lens style? At a 2.25 add I can't see at intermediate with a very short lens. But hey, I am only 48.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper New breed has it's 50's birthday this year.................

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    like transition from FT/rounds to Progressive lenses.
    Lenny, the mentioned new breed.............is 50 years old this year.........and when badly fitted, or to the wrong poeple, it does not make your vision better.

There are 51% of bifocal wearers in the USA who do NOT wear a progressive lens of any brand or type.

Progressive lenses still have large parts of the lens surface that is full of distortion.

It is the perfect lens for women in their late 40's to early 50's who want to hide their age by not showing that they need glasses for reading. They will put up with anything to make them look a little younger.

Manufacturers are fighting for larger marketshares of progressive lenses with direct advertising and are brainwashing the public. Progressives lenses are the manufacturers hidden gold-mines, because they can produce them at the same cost as a regular bifocal, but charge the lab, the optician and the public a lot more money, with which they buy up competitors and other optical supply companies.

Progressives are not new technology any more, having arrived at their 50s birthday this year of 2005. There is just a lot more brands and some minor technical variations on the market than the only lonely Varilux was in 1955.

Most probably I will get attacked for these comments by the manufacturers spokes people dressed in their conglomerate armour to disprove above statement and tell me that I full of undigested ideas.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When do you think there will be something tottaly new?
    I mean like transition from FT/rounds to Progressive lenses.
    I dunno but I bet only Essilor can make it.

Rick

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Lenny, the mentioned new breed.............is 50 years old this year.........and when badly fitted, or to the wrong poeple, it does not make your vision better.

There are 51% of bifocal wearers in the USA who do NOT wear a progressive lens of any brand or type.

Progressive lenses still have large parts of the lens surface that is full of distortion.

It is the perfect lens for women in their late 40's to early 50's who want to hide their age by not showing that they need glasses for reading. They will put up with anything to make them look a little younger.

Manufacturers are fighting for larger marketshares of progressive lenses with direct advertising and are brainwashing the public. Progressives lenses are the manufacturers hidden gold-mines, because they can produce them at the same cost as a regular bifocal, but charge the lab, the optician and the public a lot more money, with which they buy up competitors and other optical supply companies.

Progressives are not new technology any more, having arrived at their 50s birthday this year of 2005. There is just a lot more brands and some minor technical variations on the market than the only lonely Varilux was in 1955.

Most probably I will get attacked for these comments by the manufacturers spokes people dressed in their conglomerate armour to disprove above statement and tell me that I full of undigested ideas.
    Cant argue with much of that.
    I wonder how many people are 100% happy with their progs.

Rick

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's kind of like the -8.00 myope who was happy with his spectacles until he found out what seeing well was really like with contacts. Most progressive patients are happy because they don't know they could see better. Most plastic lens wearers are happy for the same reason.

Now you may start telling me about the benefits of no-jump, no line, light weight, safety and such. But if glasses are to make you see as well as possible, they should be glass. If fine details are important lines are better.

Chip.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Fashion is not always the solution................

Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    She was wearing a great lens and super fashionable frame but she could neither see distance or near. And she was a frames rep with years in the business! A lesson to the wise..Don't be greedy.
    Ilan
    Ilan, I have seen tons of post's here on the optiboard by opticians who claim that theire patients are successfully wearing progressives in those little fashionable frames.

It is a fact that there must be millions of people wearing small frames with progressives.

As Chuck stated above............probably their first pair and they dont know any better.

It is absolutely greed by the manufacrurers and by the retailers, selling a patient what he would like to have after having read all the advertisings paid by the manufacturers.

To everything in this field there are technical limits and the retailer and his or her staff should know those limits, explain it to patients and either sell them a larger frame, let them have the small frame with something else than a progressive lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The funny thing happened1

I was talking to one of the Gerber/Essilor Reps about their new blocker. They got a new one for Gamma system about 6 month ago from France (Essilor).
    The only reason that they cant make it work inThe USA that is not desighned for FT bifocals.
    Obviosly they dont use bifocals in europe anymore!?
    Can someone confirm that?

Occupation

Still selling.................

I was talking to one of the Gerber/Essilor Reps about their new blocker.

1) Of course they are still using Bifocals. They just want to make it hard on you.

2) The word used Gerber/Essilor Reps kind of tickles me..............as far as I read Gerber is selling Essilor machine parts.............or has this been another soundless takeover?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was talking to one of the Gerber/Essilor Reps about their new blocker. They got a new one for Gamma system about 6 month ago from France (Essilor).
    The only reason that they cant make it work inThe USA that is not desighned for FT bifocals.
    Well it is news to me, I see plenty of bifocals.
    Saying that though being in the UK im not sure if im European or part of the 51st state of America.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It is absolutely greed by the manufacrurers and by the retailers, selling a patient what he would like to have after having read all the advertisings paid by the manufacturers.

To everything in this field there are technical limits and the retailer and his or her staff should know those limits, explain it to patients and either sell them a larger frame, let them have the small frame with something else than a progressive lens.
    Chris,
    Personal preferences and lifestyle forms a clients decision when choosing eyewear. You may place the utmost importance on distortion free distance and reading, so you fit yourself in a FT35. A monocular patient may put safety ahead of anything else, so they are dispensed poly-carb or trivex. You may not believe it or agree with it, but there is a segment of the population that fashion and youthfulness trumps quality and comfort of vision. Does that mean that companies that manufacturer or retailers that sell fashion oriented frames and lenses are bening greedy, NO, the are fulfulling a demand set by consumers. It is human nature to want to look, feel, be younger. Having a nip and a tuck, getting botox or collagen, and wearing eyewear that doesn't look like "bifocals" or old are ways of accomplishing youthfulness. (which do you figure is the safest?) While the more fashionable eyewear may not satisfy all visual tasks, it can do wonders for self-confidence and worth.

I will agree with you, that opticians should be asking the proper lifestyle questions to determine what lens will best suit their clients needs/wants. Though in many cases the optician that doesn't ask the right questions will find very little repeat business.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Novice

Panamic and sizing

I have just gotten my first pair and find the reading area inadequate (on panamic polycarb as a patient with limited vision in one eye). How large a frame would be needed to make the reading area more effective? I have Flexon and it is 22 mm or greater.

Thank you for your feedback.

Ilan, I have seen tons of post's here on the optiboard by opticians who claim that theire patients are successfully wearing progressives in those little fashionable frames.

It is a fact that there must be millions of people wearing small frames with progressives.

As Chuck stated above............probably their first pair and they dont know any better.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

Jher-bay?

2) The word used Gerber/Essilor Reps kind of tickles me..............as far as I read Gerber is selling Essilor machine parts.............or has this been another soundless takeover?
    Non, non, ce n'est pas vrai, pas du tout. Nous continuons à être complètement independent, je vous assure.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Chris,
    Personal preferences and lifestyle forms a clients decision when choosing eyewear. You may place the utmost importance on distortion free distance and reading, so you fit yourself in a FT35. A monocular patient may put safety ahead of anything else, so they are dispensed poly-carb or trivex. You may not believe it or agree with it, but there is a segment of the population that fashion and youthfulness trumps quality and comfort of vision. Does that mean that companies that manufacturer or retailers that sell fashion oriented frames and lenses are bening greedy, NO, the are fulfulling a demand set by consumers. It is human nature to want to look, feel, be younger. Having a nip and a tuck, getting botox or collagen, and wearing eyewear that doesn't look like "bifocals" or old are ways of accomplishing youthfulness. (which do you figure is the safest?) While the more fashionable eyewear may not satisfy all visual tasks, it can do wonders for self-confidence and worth.

I will agree with you, that opticians should be asking the proper lifestyle questions to determine what lens will best suit their clients needs/wants. Though in many cases the optician that doesn't ask the right questions will find very little repeat business.
    Wow you saved me a lot of typing. Great response.

Thread Information