Thread: Faulty eyeglass lenses from lab?

OptiBoard Novice

Faulty eyeglass lenses from lab?

I recently purchased a new pair of eyeglasses with what are allegedly state-of-the-art Zeiss lenses of high-index plastic, with the latest hardness treatment and AR coatings. When I received the glasses, however, it was immediately apparent that they do not have the (paid-for) coatings, as the reflections from the lenses are colorless and seemingly as bright as the reflection from an uncoated surface. The proprietor of the optical shop was not in when I picked them up, but her assistant tried to assure me that this colorless reflection is a characteristic of SOTA AR coatings today. I am highly skeptical.

I am not a physicist or optics professional, but I am a physician with a hard-science and engineering background and some grounding in physics as well as a lifelong avocational involvement with optics, as an amateur photographer and amateur astronomer and a person with a keen appreciation for fine lenses and other optics. If some new technology--using continuous-gradient-index of refraction coatings or the like--has enabled AR coatings to be pan-spectral and to render colorless reflections, it's news to me.

So what I want to know is: Can I go back to the optical shop when I return from vacation and tell the proprietor that it's unequivocally obvious that my lenses aren't coated, and insist that she either send them back for coating or give me a refund? Or is there something to what the assistant told me?

Secondly, after only a week of wearing, with one daily cleaning (with a drop of shampoo during my morning shower, followed by careful drying with soft, non-lotion residential toilet paper) and almost no other touching of the lenses, the lenses have several fine scratches and several tiny pits (the glasses did fall once a couple of inches onto the hard shift-lever area of my car's console). Looking at them alongside the hardened plastic lenses of my 11-year-old glasses, it's hard to believe that the old ones have seen 500 times the service of the new ones. If I try to extrapolate the rate of scratch accumulation times 500, I can't even see through the lenses!

So a question for anyone in the industry: Is it plausible that a pair of lenses produced by a reputable nationwide lab got through without the intended hardness treatment step, especially if, as I suspect mine did, they got through without the intended AR coating step?

Thanks for your time and help,

Howard L Ritter, Jr, M.D.
    hlritter@adelphia.net

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lens problem

I suggest you stop by another optical shop and ask them for their opinion. Also if these lenses are progressive lenses any optial shop should be able to confirm the semi invisible marks are actually from Zeiss.

It is possible that these lenses got through the system without hard coating and AR. You could also call Carl Zeiss and ask them to have this verified for you.

Good Luck, and I hope for the industries sake that this is an error and not an attempt to bait and switch.

Do not use any kind of paper products on your lenses. Use only 100% cotton or a cleaning cloth that your optician has.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You clean your lenses with shampoo? What brand?
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Sounds to me like you got screwed. I've been working with AR coatings for a couple years and haven't ever seen any AR's that dont reflect some kind of color. If the lens has some kind of "special zeiss hardcoat" it should be under warranty, right? Most of the so-called nationally reputable labs, in my experience, are more likely to give their customers low quality products as well.

I'd suggest bringing it back and telling them you want a new pair, or a full refund because of the scratches/pits. If they are a good company, they'll take care of their customers.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would not necessarily say screwed. I would say that it is quite possible that there was a mistake and the assistant was not knowledgable to understand what AR is supposed to look like.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There can be no screw-ups from the lab that reach the customer. The dispenser is responsible for inspecting and catching these before they reach the customer.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    There can be no screw-ups from the lab that reach the customer. The dispenser is responsible for inspecting and catching these before they reach the customer.

Chip
    You are correct. I think the assistant was the one in charge. However, if it is true then it would be just bad service, not that they did it on purpose.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regardless of who dispensed the eyewear, the Optician is ultimately responsible for their quality and correctness.

As a side note, where was the licensed Optician? Ohio requires that Opticians be licensed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My guess it is a new INVISIBLE AR:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If it is a nationwide 'chain', perhaps you should try a private independent Optician in the future...If it was a private Optician, I agree with the prev question, where is the LO?

AA

Thread Information