Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Warranty Policy

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

What is your Warranty Policy

Since this has been coming up lately I'll ask the question what your official warranty policy is. Do you follow the manufacturers warranty, give no warranty, one year, ect.

We give a two year unconditional on frames and lenses as long as they still have the parts.

Drive over them with your car and they are covered.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Since this has been coming up lately I'll ask the question what your official warranty policy is. Do you follow the manufacturers warranty, give no warranty, one year, ect.

We give a two year unconditional on frames and lenses as long as they still have the parts.

accidental breakage of frames and lenses for first year. Scratches covered on AR one time in first year, Crizal and TD2 as many times in first year.
    ...Just ask me...

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1 year warranty against manuf defect on all frames.

If they purchase a lens which includes a scratch coat, we will re-make the lenses at no charge "one time" within the year of purchase if they are scratched. Also the same for AR coatings.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question...............

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    1 year warranty against manuf defect on all frames.

If they purchase a lens which includes a scratch coat, we will re-make the lenses at no charge "one time" within the year of purchase if they are scratched. Also the same for AR coatings.
    Sounds fair..............................

A question..............................?

If a customer comes back with a broken of temple = defective and scratched AR coated lenses.................you replace temple or frame plus the lenses.

Who is absorbing the cost of this warranty.........is it your business or you pass it on to the different suppliers?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We warranty all frames against manuf. defects for one year. Scratched coated lenses we warranty for 1 year and ar lenses(we only use top of the line) we warranty for 2 years, although we don't warranty them if their run over by a car. Has to be a legitimate defect.

Chris: if a patient comes in with a broken temple, we usually replace the whole frame(usually recommended by the manuf. anyhow) because those spring hinges can be tricky for those who aren't experienced with replacing them. If the temple is an easy fix, then I'll sometimes just replace the temple only. If the lenses are scratched and it's within the warranty, then we'll replace those as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Sounds fair..............................

A question..............................?

If a customer comes back with a broken of temple = defective and scratched AR coated lenses.................you replace temple or frame plus the lenses.

Who is absorbing the cost of this warranty.........is it your business or you pass it on to the different suppliers?

Depending if it's a spring hinge or not. <--some of those spring hinges are truley a pain when replacing just a temple. If not a pain, I would replace the temple and send back the defective temple for credit to the manuf. If it's a pain, the whole frame would be replaced and again, sent back as defective to the manf. Your question on who would absorb the cost of this warranty???. <--both our office and the manf.. For us we factor the "time" it took to place the order for the replacement piece. The "time" to install it & dispense it. Also, the "time" it took to return it along with postage.

If the lenses are scratched badly, I would replace the lenses (if it falls within the 1 year "one time" warrranty) at no charge. Since we send all our work to an outsdie lab, both would absorb the cost. For us it would be the "time" spent ordering the replacement lenses. Time spent checking the job when it came in. Also, time spent dispensing them.

We're very fortunate and do not spend a lot of time on these sort of things since we use a lot of high quality product :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a budget section of frames those have a 1 year one time, our designer frames and premium AR's and Td2 like hardcoats have a 2 year wty replacement. We say ..."your glasses are covered for 2 years against breakage or damage, dont let a pet eat them or run over them and your all set please return parts and your glasses will be replaced. Uncoated lenses have no wty at all. We dont wty breakage becuase everyone is offered poly or trivex so its there chopise to purchase more breakable lenses. We will replace stress cracks as often times its not abuse on the part of the offender. A habitual offender might get a threat of no more or a spanking but we havent had that trouble, thankfully.

Great topic.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Confused

Just curious coming from the manufacturing side of the business, why would you cover somebodys glasses that got run over by a car? This is something that has baffled me since I have been in the business. Try buying a new car and running it into a tree then taking it back to the dealer and demanding a new bumper. Good luck.

I think a lot of the problems that this business faces are self inflicted. For instance, I see on a daily basis people walking into an optical shop and wanting an adjustment. You gladly do the adjustment and when the people ask how much you say, Oh there is no charge. You wouldn't expect to take your computer in for a tuneup and not get a bill.

Now if its a patient or regular customer that got their frames from you thats a different story but I'm talking about the person that just walks in off the street. I see it all the time.

Not trying to be a smart alec just curious to hear about why you give away free services and goods, ie adjustments, nosepads (not free to you or me), temple tips, etc.

I agree Angels Rock, if something is valuable, there should be a charge. The problem is, who wants to be the first one to start charging and be more expensive than the competition?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels Rock
    Just curious coming from the manufacturing side of the business, why would you cover somebodys glasses that got run over by a car? This is something that has baffled me since I have been in the business. Try buying a new car and running it into a tree then taking it back to the dealer and demanding a new bumper. Good luck.

I think a lot of the problems that this business faces are self inflicted. For instance, I see on a daily basis people walking into an optical shop and wanting an adjustment. You gladly do the adjustment and when the people ask how much you say, Oh there is no charge. You wouldn't expect to take your computer in for a tuneup and not get a bill.

Now if its a patient or regular customer that got their frames from you thats a different story but I'm talking about the person that just walks in off the street. I see it all the time.

Not trying to be a smart alec just curious to hear about why you give away free services and goods, ie adjustments, nosepads (not free to you or me), temple tips, etc.
    Well we all know that **** happens and sometimes everyone needs a break.

Warranties because of abuse are minimal, but it makes someone feel much better. You get a customer who did something stupid and is very embarrassed by it and they just need a break. You do it for them and it means the world to them.

Now you are right, a lot of things in our business are self inflicted; however, this is different.

As you can see here there are very few people who give this type of warranty. It is our competitive advantage over the competition. We are selling a person a pair of glasses that should last them two years and now we are saying that we cannot honour that.

We have to remember that we should not be in it for the sale, but instead we are in it to create a client. One sale takes a lot of time, a lot of money, and gives a minimal return, but a client gives a lift time of return and is less of a hassle.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    I agree Angels Rock, if something is valuable, there should be a charge. The problem is, who wants to be the first one to start charging and be more expensive than the competition?
    What have you really lost Jason. I'm talking about people that you don't know, never serviced, people visiting from out of town, etc. Not your regular customers. Adjusting for your customers is a perk and a reason that they keep coming back to you. Adjusting for a stranger in the hopes that he comes back is wasting your time. If you want your time to be respected than you have to put a value on it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Well we all know that **** happens and sometimes everyone needs a break.

Warranties because of abuse are minimal, but it makes someone feel much better. You get a customer who did something stupid and is very embarrassed by it and they just need a break. You do it for them and it means the world to them.

Now you are right, a lot of things in our business are self inflicted; however, this is different.

As you can see here there are very few people who give this type of warranty. It is our competitive advantage over the competition. We are selling a person a pair of glasses that should last them two years and now we are saying that we cannot honour that.

We have to remember that we should not be in it for the sale, but instead we are in it to create a client. One sale takes a lot of time, a lot of money, and gives a minimal return, but a client gives a lift time of return and is less of a hassle.
    For Life....I would like for you to show me one business that will honor a warranty for blatant abuse. You said that you sold a pair of glasses that should last two years and now you can not honor the warranty. I guess my question is who would expect you to give them something for free and honor the warranty after they ran it over by a car.

I will agree with one point. Everybody needs a break at some point in their life. Every situation is different. There's a lot of different ways of handling this other than giving everything away for free.

How about saying, of course this is not covered under manufactures defect since it was working fine until you ran it over with your car. However, you can replace it at your cost. That way you don't lose money and they should be ecstatic about getting a whole new setup for minimal charge. Will the patient ever have any responsibility if you just give him a new frame everytime he trashes it.

Another option, call your rep. If you call me and explain the situation I send you a frame at 40% off and you look like the hero. If its a $50 frame and you sell it for $150 you can give it to the patient for $30. Who would not be happy with that.

Of course every situation is different but giving away the farm would certainly not be my first option.

Occupation
    For Life....I would like for you to show me one business that will honor a warranty for blatant abuse. You said that you sold a pair of glasses that should last two years and now you can not honor the warranty. I guess my question is who would expect you to give them something for free and honor the warranty after they ran it over by a car.

I will agree with one point. Everybody needs a break at some point in their life. Every situation is different. There's a lot of different ways of handling this other than giving everything away for free.

How about saying, of course this is not covered under manufactures defect since it was working fine until you ran it over with your car. However, you can replace it at your cost. That way you don't lose money and they should be ecstatic about getting a whole new setup for minimal charge. Will the patient ever have any responsibility if you just give him a new frame everytime he trashes it.

Another option, call your rep. If you call me and explain the situation I send you a frame at 40% off and you look like the hero. If its a $50 frame and you sell it for $150 you can give it to the patient for $30. Who would not be happy with that.

Of course every situation is different but giving away the farm would certainly not be my first option.
    It does not matter if any other busines does it or not. We need to be innovators.

The fact is that accidents happen. When it comes down to it I refuse to sit there and tell a customer that it is their fault that the glasses broke.

Now the car thing is obvious, but what about not so obvious things. What happens when a customer takes the frames off and they snap? Most likely prior damage was done, but he or she is unaware of it. Now we are going to tell them that it is not covered? That is how you lose clients.

I worked at a place were we had to look at the scratches on the lenses to see if they were lengthwise or circular. Do not treat your customers like that, because they probably do not need it.

I am personally sick and tired of walking into stores and having the employee tell me it is my fault and that it is not covered under warranty, even though I did nothing wrong.

Instead we instill confidence in the customer. We make them happy by doing the little thing.

If I get one person in a month who abuses their glasses (it is less than that), what does it cost me?

Now think about this. For everyone of those customers that destroyed their glasses due to an accident end up satisfied from what I did then how many will buy again?

I think you would see that my policy increases the chance of the next purchase over the other policy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I consider adjusting glasses internal marketing which creates referrals for us.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    I think case by case and it depend on how defect of the frame.
    In Hong Kong, the optical shops are willing to help you adjust the frame after sales. It's a nice after-sales service to customer. For warranty, need to see the content of guarantee. For example, scratch-resistant for one year, we need to give them a new one if scratch happen within a year. To recognize whether the customer buying from us, we can ask them to show the receipt.
    If someone bring a broken temple and ask for replacing, I think it's unacceptable.
    Detail instructions and caution need to be included in the content of warranty. If client neglect the instruction , I think client also need to take this responsibility:)
    For the view of supplier, we will replace with a new one if buyer find the defects. But they need to give me the evidents(photo of defects.)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    It does not matter if any other busines does it or not. We need to be innovators.

The fact is that accidents happen. When it comes down to it I refuse to sit there and tell a customer that it is their fault that the glasses broke.

Now the car thing is obvious, but what about not so obvious things. What happens when a customer takes the frames off and they snap? Most likely prior damage was done, but he or she is unaware of it. Now we are going to tell them that it is not covered? That is how you lose clients.

I worked at a place were we had to look at the scratches on the lenses to see if they were lengthwise or circular. Do not treat your customers like that, because they probably do not need it.

I am personally sick and tired of walking into stores and having the employee tell me it is my fault and that it is not covered under warranty, even though I did nothing wrong.

Instead we instill confidence in the customer. We make them happy by doing the little thing.

If I get one person in a month who abuses their glasses (it is less than that), what does it cost me?

Now think about this. For everyone of those customers that destroyed their glasses due to an accident end up satisfied from what I did then how many will buy again?

I think you would see that my policy increases the chance of the next purchase over the other policy.
    Well now you are talking about two different things. You originally said that your policy was a two year unconditional warranty. Run it over by a car and its covered. Just curious, do you expect the rep or frame company to pick up the cost of the frame or do you cover it. If its covered by you than I suppose you are doing what you think is the noble thing to do and thats fine. However, our company is very specific with a two year warranty on manufacturers defects, not patient abuse.

We used to have a lifetime warranty on our frames. When it was cut back to two years I thought I would hear about it from everybody. Guess what, I had one complaint. ONE!!! That from a guy that did nothing but abuse the system.

Most people that I deal with give a one year warranty. Our policy is two years. That way if a patient comes back with broken frame after 16 months you can still cover it and look like the hero. If you want to give the whole two years thats OK too but the majority of my customers don't want to pass on two year warranties.

Bottom line is you have to decide each situation individually. For me if its borderline I don't even question it and send it back. If it looks like obvious abuse and somebody is trying to work me, forget it. I don't like being worked. You be honest with me and I'll work around the system for minimal costs but not for free.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I consider adjusting glasses internal marketing which creates referrals for us.
    How do you track whether or not giving away your services for free is benficial or not. Do you actually know if any of these people come back to buy frames or switch Drs. or make referals for that matter.

I'm not saying you have to be hard core about it but use some common sense. Don't just automatically go to the "here's your free adjustment" card. Every situation is different and you should assess the possiblity of getting the person. I bet if you started to keep track you would get very few of them back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been quite successful for me these past 20 years..

How do you track whether or not giving away your services for free is benficial or not. Do you actually know if any of these people come back to buy frames or switch Drs. or make referals for that matter.

I'm not saying you have to be hard core about it but use some common sense. Don't just automatically go to the "here's your free adjustment" card. Every situation is different and you should assess the possiblity of getting the person. I bet if you started to keep track you would get very few of them back.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper No freebies in this world...................

Just curious coming from the manufacturing side of the business, ....................

Try buying a new car and running it into a tree then taking it back to the dealer and demanding a new bumper. Good luck.

I think a lot of the problems that this business faces are self inflicted.

The problems, are not self inflicted. There was a time when the optical world sold glasses made from plastics that would dry out and not last longer than 2-4 years............the lenses were glass only........high index lenses were very brittle.

Opticians would sell glasses and advise their customers that this item would have to be handled in a delicate way or they would break it. So it was natural that customers would be as careful as possible, or had to pay for a broken frame or lens which was part of the opticians income. Charging for fixing, repairing or replacing at going market value.

In the 1960's American Optrcal was the first company to warrat their kid's frames for one year. Suddenly other companies had a hard time selling kids frames. I had actually an optician customer.................who got broken frames replaced by AOC for free under warranty, but then charged the kids parents for a new frame.

When Essilor introduced the Varilux lenses, mid 1960's, in Canada many years before they started in the USA. opticans were hesitating to use them. So Essilor started the non adapt warranty, to replace the non adapts with straight tops at now extra charge.

Opticians used to buy frames................order them and pay for them and actually invested money in their stock.
    When the market got overloaded and flooded with new frame brands, names and manufacturers in the late 1970's and early 1980's some frame manufacturers and or importer distributors reverted to start giving frames on consignment, which means, they got the frames into their stores but only had eo pay when the merchandise was sold.

Having said all this................the above statement that the problems are self inflicted is not quite correct.

Through tough competition in the manufacturing sector the customer.........the optical retailer got more and more spoiled..........with easy purchases........return policies...............warranties and so forth. ..............However as there are no freebies in this world, the retailers are also paying much higher prices than they would have under the old system. Break your glasses, scratch them..............replace, repair or buy new ones.

Occupation
    Well now you are talking about two different things. You originally said that your policy was a two year unconditional warranty. Run it over by a car and its covered. Just curious, do you expect the rep or frame company to pick up the cost of the frame or do you cover it. If its covered by you than I suppose you are doing what you think is the noble thing to do and thats fine. However, our company is very specific with a two year warranty on manufacturers defects, not patient abuse.

We used to have a lifetime warranty on our frames. When it was cut back to two years I thought I would hear about it from everybody. Guess what, I had one complaint. ONE!!! That from a guy that did nothing but abuse the system.

Most people that I deal with give a one year warranty. Our policy is two years. That way if a patient comes back with broken frame after 16 months you can still cover it and look like the hero. If you want to give the whole two years thats OK too but the majority of my customers don't want to pass on two year warranties.

Bottom line is you have to decide each situation individually. For me if its borderline I don't even question it and send it back. If it looks like obvious abuse and somebody is trying to work me, forget it. I don't like being worked. You be honest with me and I'll work around the system for minimal costs but not for free.
    I was waiting for it. I knew it would come.

No I do not expect the frame and lens companies to swallow my costs.

I think that will eleviate some of your problems now ;)

The thing is how much abuse do I actually get?

How much of it is accidental?

I can tell you that most of the abuse is accidental, but in the larger in scale of things abuse is minimal.

So why not do the right thing. I think we have to be compansionate these days. It is important to give better customer service to people than anyone else.

Why would a customer buy from me when Walmart, Sear, Shoppers, and all of the independents are offering the same warranty? You have to find a way to create a better value and increase customer satisfaction.

Our warranty is one way we have done it. We have done it for 10 years and have built a strong clientele with it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    The problems, are not self inflicted. There was a time when the optical world sold glasses made from plastics that would dry out and not last longer than 2-4 years............the lenses were glass only........high index lenses were very brittle.

Opticians would sell glasses and advise their customers that this item would have to be handled in a delicate way or they would break it. So it was natural that customers would be as careful as possible, or had to pay for a broken frame or lens which was part of the opticians income. Charging for fixing, repairing or replacing at going market value.

In the 1960's American Optrcal was the first company to warrat their kid's frames for one year. Suddenly other companies had a hard time selling kids frames. I had actually an optician customer.................who got broken frames replaced by AOC for free under warranty, but then charged the kids parents for a new frame.

When Essilor introduced the Varilux lenses, mid 1960's, in Canada many years before they started in the USA. opticans were hesitating to use them. So Essilor started the non adapt warranty, to replace the non adapts with straight tops at now extra charge.

Opticians used to buy frames................order them and pay for them and actually invested money in their stock.
    When the market got overloaded and flooded with new frame brands, names and manufacturers in the late 1970's and early 1980's some frame manufacturers and or importer distributors reverted to start giving frames on consignment, which means, they got the frames into their stores but only had eo pay when the merchandise was sold.

Having said all this................the above statement that the problems are self inflicted is not quite correct.

Through tough competition in the manufacturing sector the customer.........the optical retailer got more and more spoiled..........with easy purchases........return policies...............warranties and so forth. ..............However as there are no freebies in this world, the retailers are also paying much higher prices than they would have under the old system. Break your glasses, scratch them..............replace, repair or buy new ones.
    You make a lot of good points Chris. The frame companies can take a lot of the blame for some of the inflated prices mainly due to the fact that return rates are so high. And they encouraged that way of doing business back in the day. However, I can tell you that they are trying to change that mindset but it is not easy.

I have accts. whose first question when I walk in the door is what can we send back instead of how can we make sure this product will sell through. The cost of returns is paid by somebody and that somebody ends up being the Dr. or optician and eventually the patient.

I still say that a lot of the problems are self inflicted. When a patient walks in with green nosepads and you change them without a charge you are giving away your services. Maybe you built that into the cost of the frame but now you are overcharging all customers for the cost of nosepads when in reality only a percantage will take advantage of. Why not charge the ones that actually use the services.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    It's been quite successful for me these past 20 years..
    Then if it has worked for you for 20 years then that is what you should do. Every business is different and every situation is different. The key is keeping an open mind, improve what you are doing right and change what is not working.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When it comes time to pay your employees do they tell you it is okay " you do not have to pay this time"!

Most people expect to pay for the service they recieve. Stop trying to get new business this way. It does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    [QUOTE=For-Life]I was waiting for it. I knew it would come.

No I do not expect the frame and lens companies to swallow my costs.

I think that will eleviate some of your problems now ;)

Well good for you. I don't mind helping people out if the situation warrants but more times than not the patient gets a free frame and than the optician or OD calls me for a free frame and I didn't even get a say in the matter. The company will not warrant an abused frame so who do you think gets stuck with the cost. The office gets to be the hero and I pay the price. At least ask me first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What have you really lost Jason. I'm talking about people that you don't know, never serviced, people visiting from out of town, etc. Not your regular customers. Adjusting for your customers is a perk and a reason that they keep coming back to you. Adjusting for a stranger in the hopes that he comes back is wasting your time. If you want your time to be respected than you have to put a value on it.
    I have to disagree, many a pts have returned to our office after having had free adjustments, people new to town, people whom have heard about us. As far as cost goes its really low cost advertisement. We portray excellence and then people come back and pay for it. Its been great. Onliners kill me but genuine needs for repairs or adjustments are welcome...more often then not it results in a new patients.
    Last edited by cinders831; 05-30-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information