Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gas prices

I just bought gas for $1.91 9/10. Anybody else see the price coming down?
    Last edited by Spexvet; 05-24-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Out West here the price has come down from $2.54 to $2.39. :angry: Still too much!
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh so you don't want to hear about me filling up yesterday at $1.84/gal?Of course in WA there are more state taxes in there as well.

Occupation
    Isn't it interesting that I now think $2.49 is CHEAP???!!!! Was paying 2.70-ish a few moths back.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I just bought gas for $1.91 9/10. Anybody else see the price coming down?
    Mmmmmmh "gas" is the equivalent of about $7.5 per gallon here in the UK.
    Dunno how you Americans manage to get your hands on so much cheap oil:bbg:.
    Oooops, controversial:hammer:.

Rick

Occupation
    Bought some last night for $2.17 down from $2.40

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is plenty of oil. If you greenies would just let us drill in the Gulf and build a few refineries we could go down to 75 cents. The rigs are GOOD for the environment, fish love them.Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Oh so you don't want to hear about me filling up yesterday at $1.84/gal?Of course in WA there are more state taxes in there as well.
    You got that right! Our lovely Democratic Legislature jsut raised the gas tax by .09. That is after the people voted it down last time! They also raised a bunch of other taxes that we voted no for and put in a clause that the people can't change it! Can't wait for the next elections!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Right on, Chip. The environmentalist whackos have us paying through the nose for all of our natural resources. We can’t drill for oil and we can’t cut down trees. Just wait till they find out that we use polycarbonate. We will be prevented from harvesting the polycarbonate bush. Think of all the little children that will go blind.

We, in the USA, have a legacy of cheap oil. Our grand manufacturing economy was built on the availability of cheap and plentiful energy. Other countries are not so fortunate. If you are paying seven bucks of money for a gallon of gas, tough tuba. Get over it. Get a bicycle.

Lets get going on developing the inland and coastal oil patch and while we are at it, a new refinery in Hyannis, MA might be in order. How about we start the construction of a whole bunch of nuclear power plants. Let’s get back to the good old days of $0.32.9 a gallon gas.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

We, in the USA, have a legacy of cheap oil. Our grand manufacturing economy was built on the availability of cheap and plentiful energy. Other countries are not so fortunate. If you are paying seven bucks of money for a gallon of gas, tough tuba. Get over it. Get a bicycle.
    In a twisted way I rather enjoy the high fuel prices in the UK.
    When the world is finally goosed I can sit back proudly and declare that there wasn't much more I could have done while the greedy Yanks were p*ss*ng away all the natural resources and spewing masses of cr&p into the atmosphere.
    Keep up the good work.:D

Rick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    There is plenty of oil. If you greenies would just let us drill in the Gulf and build a few refineries we could go down to 75 cents. The rigs are GOOD for the environment, fish love them.Chip
    This just in.....

The republicans have allowed me to drill for oil in Chip's back yard and dump all the waste into his basement. More cheap oil for the war effort!;)
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If they'd come up with a marketable fuel cell/electric technology, the price of gasoline would be irrelevant.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jimmy Carter implemented tax credits for alternative energy sources. One of the first things Dutch Reagan did, when he entered office, was to scrap them.

Conservatives want everything to be like it was back in the good old days....high gas prices for instance.:angry:
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet: Wasn't it under Carter that we had the gas lines?

The good Old Days were the 1950's and gas was 19 cents.

If Dear Jimmy had the cahones to stand up to the Aiatola and ask him which city he would like destroyed first during the hostage crisis (which just the news of Dutch Reagan's election was enough to end) no Arab would hold us hostage for oil or anything else today.

Chip
    Freedom must always be paid for in blood. Preferably that of the enemy.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Please refrain from reminding us of the Carter administration. Those were truly dark days.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Please refrain from reminding us of the Carter administration. Those were truly dark days.
    Carter in 2008??? He IS eligible, you know.
    ...Just ask me...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the good ole days I remember old lady Hudson starting price wars in Kansas. The least price I paid was 12.9 per gallon or maybe less.

I guess the good ole days were berfore Carter!

In Guatemala we have been paying lately Q23.00 per gallon. In $$$ that is about $3.00 per gallon. No end in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Spexvet: Wasn't it under Carter that we had the gas lines?

The good Old Days were the 1950's and gas was 19 cents.

If Dear Jimmy had the cahones to stand up to the Aiatola and ask him which city he would like destroyed first during the hostage crisis (which just the news of Dutch Reagan's election was enough to end) no Arab would hold us hostage for oil or anything else today.

Chip
    Freedom must always be paid for in blood. Preferably that of the enemy.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    If they'd come up with a marketable fuel cell/electric technology, the price of gasoline would be irrelevant.
    Ah, but where does all that wonderful hydrogen for the fuel cells come from? It's either extracted from petrolum products or produced by the dissasociation of water which requires energy which comes from......petrolum. Hydrogen fuel cells do little to reduce energy costs or help the environment. It's a smoke and mirrors game.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In 1975 35% of our petroleum was imported; in 2001, 55%; in 2025 the Energy Dept projects 68%.

Why? There's a lot of huffin' and puffin' about this--environmentalists won't let new refineries be built blah, blah, blah. That's a lot of smoke, the reason is clear and simple: it's way cheaper and way more plentiful to import than to produce domestically.

And in our wisdom, we invent the SUV, underfund mass transit and build larger and larger homes--the street below ours has a new 8500 square foot house, single family dwelling. Whaaa????????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And when all the petroleum is gone, we'll find an alternative for transportation and electricity, but can we find an alternative for plastics and medicine?
    ...Just ask me...

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    And when all the petroleum is gone, we'll find an alternative for transportation and electricity, but can we find an alternative for plastics and medicine?
    Interestingly with repsect to plastics the answers appears to be yes. There are a number of 'bio-plastics' actively being developed for a number of uses at the moment. Precursors include corn and soy beans and the plastics being produced (Polylactic Acid or PLA seems to be getting the most press) perform like bad polyproplyene (milk jug plastic). Toyota is incorporating these materials into their floor mats and at least one company is aggressivly marketing bioplastic body panels for automobiles.

Regarding drugs...... not my field but I'd guess similar approaches will take place. In fact I expect that genetically modified plants, animals or bacteria will be producing pharmaceuticals in the future.

In any regard the amount of petrolum used for non-fuel uses is vanishingly small and even as we exhaust the supply extraction techniques will improve so presuming we identify alternative energy sources I don't see an issue with running out of petroleum. Of course it does all hinge on some alternative source.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We ain't running out of Petrolium in this century and probably not in the next. Just Petrolium in areas that we are allowed to extract it and refineries that we are allowed to build in correct areas. We have enough natural gas in the land area of the U.S. for 300 years (of course the price is going up but this is slight of hand politics.) We have plenty of oil that we have caped because "it wasn't ecconomical" at $15.00 a barrel. It's sure ecconomical now, but someone is waiting for the price to go up.

Not to mention that the latest theories seem to point to Oil being a re-newable resourse like water and salt.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Mmmmmmh "gas" is the equivalent of about $7.5 per gallon here in the UK.
    Dunno how you Americans manage to get your hands on so much cheap oil:bbg:.
    Oooops, controversial:hammer:.

Rick
    Your right Rick, why is our gas so cheap in the U.S.? Every day that I drive to work I see these big SUV's driving down the road and I can't imagine the amount of gas that they are burning. Also, the 5 or 10 thousand square foot homes that need to be heated and cooled. Someday this is going to come back and bite us in the butt.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@foothills
    Your right Rick, why is our gas so cheap in the U.S.? Every day that I drive to work I see these big SUV's driving down the road and I can't imagine the amount of gas that they are burning. Also, the 5 or 10 thousand square foot homes that need to be heated and cooled. Someday this is going to come back and bite us in the butt.
    Other countries try to restrict driving so they tax gasoline at a very high rate. Money funds good mass transit, less driving means less emissions, less driving promotes healthier lifestyle with walking, biking. But hey, what's that compared to a Hummer?

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Guatemala, where every family member works to make ends meet to survice we are seeing less cars on the highways due to higher gasoline prices. Since people have stopped driving as much the price of gas is going down!

Just a suggestion, pretend your economic situation is not good. Walk when you can. Get some good ole exercise! It is healthier! Save money! Do not give it to the oil producing countries. Be American! Spend it at home!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Other countries try to restrict driving so they tax gasoline at a very high rate. Money funds good mass transit, less driving means less emissions, less driving promotes healthier lifestyle with walking, biking. But hey, what's that compared to a Hummer?

Thread Information