Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    In truth, I do not know anyone who has changed their driving patterns to accommodate this temporary rise in fuel prices; the economy is just too good.
    I have. I drive at a lower speed to increase mileage, and do my best to avoid "jack-rabbit-starts". As a family, we both now use my car for errands (better milage and I get gas in N.J.) where, before, my wife would have exclusively used her minivan wherever she would go.
    ...Just ask me...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just in case you missed it.......

Exxon has quoted the highest net profit of ANY COMPANY IN HISTORY for the last quarter. I can hardly wait to hear what those figures will be this quarter.

Apparently all the price increases have very little to do with the supply of oil. Just their way of thumbing their noses at us.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I believe that the price increase was due to the perceived shortage of petroleum as reflected in the futures market. Now that President Bush has released stock from the strategic reserve we are seeing a downward trend in prices which should return to equilibrium very shortly.

As a stockholder I do defend the policies of Exxon by pointing out that the petroleum industry in the USA provides the cheap and abundant energy that fuels our nation’s economic growth. Exxon also invites you to assume an ownership position in the corporation and share in the profits.

You ain’t never had it so good.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is why the American people should start voluntarily be more concious of the fact that only a few are getting filthy rich off the rest of the world.

I say let us stop driving as much. Find ways of not being so dependent on oil so the price can back down to where it was when I was a kid!! 15.9 cents.

QUOTE=rbaker]I believe that the price increase was due to the perceived shortage of petroleum as reflected in the futures market. Now that President Bush has released stock from the strategic reserve we are seeing a downward trend in prices which should return to equilibrium very shortly.

As a stockholder I do defend the policies of Exxon by pointing out that the petroleum industry in the USA provides the cheap and abundant energy that fuels our nation’s economic growth. Exxon also invites you to assume an ownership position in the corporation and share in the profits.

You ain’t never had it so good. [/QUOTE]

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am concerned! Bush is now being destroyed politically due to his bungling of the New Orleans rescue mission. Even his sidekick (Cheney) is not so popular after his visit to the ruins today.

Clinton will get to the bottom of this. The commission he is proposing should tell us why the President was" johnny come lately"!

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    chm2023

My comments were in response to the (I thought?) sarcastic statement that we needed more skirt chasing in the WH--a reference I took to negatively compare the seriousness of Willie's mistakes to the mistakes of the current occupant of the WH.

I don't see myself as Mrs Bobbitt--but I wouldn't want to count on it!:bbg:

Apparently you were not keeping up with the diatribe between myself and 32oldguy. His comment in post 82 is what prompted my response. [/QUOTE]

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Gas here is $2.89 this AM. I paid $2.59 in St. Cloud, Mn. on Tuesday. Prices here are going down.
    $3.54 and 9/10 and rising...... went up 20cents yesterday

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm glad you qualified your post by using the word percieved

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    I believe that the price increase was due to the perceived shortage of petroleum as reflected in the futures market. Now that President Bush has released stock from the strategic reserve we are seeing a downward trend in prices which should return to equilibrium very shortly.

You ain’t never had it so good.
    The only people who percieved the shortage were the media, ergo the public as a result, fueled by the PR releases from the petroleum institute. There indeed has been no shortage of oil, the refineries are back up and running and the oil industry is making unbelieveable profits by gouging the public.The president of Exxon is retiring soon. I heard about his retirement package. As a stockholder, I would be somewhat concerned at what the management I hired, think that man is worth in retirement.Details escape me now but its easily verified. Its easy to pay that kind of money if you can get away with holding the energy consuming public hostage and charging exhorbitant prices in relation to costs.

While I was becoming an optician I also managed to get to get through the school of management at UMASS and spent some time in graduate school studying economics.I didn't learn everything but I wasn't born yesterday. When a filling station fills their tanks up with 35,000 gallons of oil, they pay the going rate for whatever they purchase. When the price per gallon rises 75 cents a gallon OVERNIGHT, as it did last weekned, there were incredible profits realized. If you think thats fair, then there's something wrong with your value system.That may be only my opinion so you can take that for what its worth, but when I see a corporation (heavily subsidised by the government through oil leases) post the largest profit figures of any industry or business in HISTORY, it sends me a warning signal. Its time to wake up and smell the coffee folks.
    Lord Byron

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A great POST!!! Too many people were not born yesterday. Too many people are just followers. Wake up people and smell the roses!

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    The only people who percieved the shortage were the media, ergo the public as a result, fueled by the PR releases from the petroleum institute. There indeed has been no shortage of oil, the refineries are back up and running and the oil industry is making unbelieveable profits by gouging the public.The president of Exxon is retiring soon. I heard about his retirement package. As a stockholder, I would be somewhat concerned at what the management I hired, think that man is worth in retirement.Details escape me now but its easily verified. Its easy to pay that kind of money if you can get away with holding the energy consuming public hostage and charging exhorbitant prices in relation to costs.

While I was becoming an optician I also managed to get to get through the school of management at UMASS and spent some time in graduate school studying economics.I didn't learn everything but I wasn't born yesterday. When a filling station fills their tanks up with 35,000 gallons of oil, they pay the going rate for whatever they purchase. When the price per gallon rises 75 cents a gallon OVERNIGHT, as it did last weekned, there were incredible profits realized. If you think thats fair, then there's something wrong with your value system.That may be only my opinion so you can take that for what its worth, but when I see a corporation (heavily subsidised by the government through oil leases) post the largest profit figures of any industry or business in HISTORY, it sends me a warning signal. Its time to wake up and smell the coffee folks.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Spexvet finally "outed"!

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I have. I drive at a lower speed to increase mileage, and do my best to avoid jackrabbit starts ...

The Spex' man.
    What's he rebelling against? What have ya' got?

His ride -- he's always the first one to check in A.M. at the "Op Shop".

rinselberg and Bud Light™ -- a winning combination!
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-01-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard today that the price of natural gas would be up 50% this winter. I sure don't know why because my oil and gas exploration buddies told me during the Carter administration that they had found enough natural gas for the next 300 years.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    I heard today that the price of natural gas would be up 50% this winter. I sure don't know why because my oil and gas exploration buddies told me during the Carter administration that they had found enough natural gas for the next 300 years.

Chip[/QUOTE]

They have been quoting the same thing here. Chip anytime something like this happens it just gives the BOYS in POWER a reason to raise prices and to make more MO. Had a friend at Exxon Mobil Say " these prices won't stay that long within two to three weeks they will start coming down, I looked at her and said " Ya right ". These high prices are here to stay! Until I see at the pumps that I m paying less than $50 to fill my tank I won't believe anything they say. I remember if I had $50.00 for gas I could drive for about three months
    in my little Corvair in 1969! Boy those were the good ole days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rbaker

You ain’t never had it so good. [/QUOTE]

1. "we are seeing a downward trend in prices " A downward trend! I paid last week $2.69 per gal, this week I just paid $3.69 per gal. That is an awful downward trend that has gone backwards. If this goes according to what your saying I will be paying $4.69 by the end of next week.

2 "downward trend in prices which should return to equilibrium very shortly". What equilibrium? The equilibrium to gouge people for high profits that are beyond the stratosphere? What if I have had a person coming into my shop and wanted a frame that he has been looking at for two weeks and is now wondering why the price rose 30% last week and now is 30% higher than last weeks 30%? How do you think he would feel and what do you think he would do? He would feel the same as we do at the pumps, like were being gouged.

3. "As a stockholder I do defend the policies of Exxon" So you defend the price gouging money grabbing policies of Exxon? That is unbelievable! Unless you can prove
    elsewise, they (Exxon and others) are just trying to take advandage of a horrific situation by gouging the public for more MO, and thats not right!:finger:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd that you folks in the Nawth is payin such high prices, here in the South we are still paying about $2.60 and we have had shortages due to Katrina. Are you sure that your state legislatures aren't the ones getting the high profits?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To the best of my knowledge, President Bush.....

To the best of my knowledge, President Bush has released no oil for consumption. He only threatened to do it. Here's an interesting question. If he were to release the oil, to whom would he release it? What would the price be?

While you are pondering that, bear in mind, his daddy's in oil!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    Odd that you folks in the Nawth is payin such high prices, here in the South we are still paying about $2.60 and we have had shortages due to Katrina. Are you sure that your state legislatures aren't the ones getting the high profits?

Chip[/QUOTE]

We just had a drop to $2.99 per gal. for reg., prem. is still at $3.11 to $3.15 per gal. haven't seen much drop off in driving people are still motoring around and still paying those ridiculous prices.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hcjilson
    To the best of my knowledge, President Bush has released no oil for consumption. He only threatened to do it. Here's an interesting question. If he were to release the oil, to whom would he release it? What would the price be?

While you are pondering that, bear in mind, his daddy's in oil![/QUOTE]

Since you brought up daddy's, check out where Teddy Kennedy's DADDY got his MO I think you will very surprised. "So who's Your Daddy"

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hcjilson

While you are pondering that, bear in mind, his daddy's in oil!

Since you brought up daddy's, check out where Teddy Kennedy's DADDY got his MO I think you will very surprised. "So who's Your Daddy" [/QUOTE]

It would be nice to have some of his money!! Teddy`s Daddy is dead!! George H.W. is still spending all that money he and Bin Laden made off of us poor stupid Americans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy
    Since you brought up daddy's, check out where Teddy Kennedy's DADDY got his MO I think you will very surprised. "So who's Your Daddy" [/QUOTE]

It would be nice to have some of his money!! Teddy`s Daddy is dead!! George H.W. is still spending all that money he and Bin Laden made off of us poor stupid Americans.[/QUOTE]

Really! The comment was in response to a comment that hcjilson made not to you, but your's is duly noted. So you really don't care where Teddy's daddy got his MO but you insinuate that the price gouging and money grabbing is all to get the Bush family more MO and more powerful? You might be a poor stupid American but I would Bank ( sorry could not help myself ) that most who write on and read this board are not and might take exception to you for calling us STUPID Americans. :shiner:
    Last edited by jediron1; 09-17-2005 at 08:48 AM.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just for your information I really think that most people are very stupid!!Including Americans!!! But just for the record I am not making a personal attack on you!! So do not take it personal!! Most people do not understand the politics of this issue!! As far as the Kennedy's if I can remember my history I believe they could have been crooks. But please inform us of the truth!! I would really like to know for sure.

Do you know how the Bush' made their money?

35oldguy
    Since you brought up daddy's, check out where Teddy Kennedy's DADDY got his MO I think you will very surprised. "So who's Your Daddy"

It would be nice to have some of his money!! Teddy`s Daddy is dead!! George H.W. is still spending all that money he and Bin Laden made off of us poor stupid Americans.[/QUOTE]

Really! The comment was in response to a comment that hcjilson made not to you, but your's is duly noted. So you really don't care where Teddy's daddy got his MO but you insinuate that the price gouging and money grabbing is all to get the Bush family more MO and more powerful? You might be a poor stupid American but I would Bank ( sorry could not help myself ) that most who write on and read this board are not and might take exception to you for calling us STUPID Americans. :shiner:[/QUOTE]

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Bush Family

Bush family conspiracy theory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Bush family conspiracy theory is an umbrella term used to describe various conspiracy theory allegations directed towards the family of President George W. Bush, including the President's brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, their brother Neil Bush, their father and former President George H. W. Bush, grandfather Prescott Bush, and great-grandfather George Herbert Walker.

Some allege criminal conspiracies involving United States or multinational corporations, vested interests, US government organizations, and various dictators. While some attach great importance to suggested links which connect individuals and companies, others dismiss some or all of the conspiracy theories as fantasy and claim that these connections are normal for business families and do not imply wrongdoing or malevolence.

I thought this might be of interest. Truth or fantasy who really knows?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=35oldguy]Just for your information I really think that most people are very stupid!!Including Americans!!! But just for the record I am not making a personal attack on you!! So do not take it personal!! Most people do not understand the politics of this issue!! As far as the Kennedy's if I can remember my history I believe they could have been crooks. But please inform us of the truth!! I would really like to know for sure.

Do you know how the Bush' made their money?

I never took it as a personal, attack maybe you did but I didn't. I was commenting on your demeaning wording. As to where Kennedy got his rich's:
    from:http://homepages.uni-tuebingen.de/st...ann/family.htm

What is the family's goal? The answer to this question is given when we look at Joseph Patrick Kennedy , JFK’s father. Joseph Kennedy, called Joe, was a born businessman and even as a student in school he started a business with one of his friends. They bought a bus and gave tours around Boston. After college Joe got into the bank business. When he was 26 years old he was already the director of his own bank, worked with real estates, invested in the stock market and the booming film industry. But the stock market crash in 1929 was when Joe Kennedy won his riches. As one of the few, he realized just in time that he should sell his shares. When everything was starting up again he was the one who had influence on the stock market and could change things, and he became even richer. A short time after that, Joe Kennedy became the first chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission. By a new law he prohibited the manipulation of stocks, something that he himself had been doing. This aspect shows us an important trait of the Kennedys. A Kennedy does not obey rules or laws- he makes them.

See he was one that saw us STUPID Americans when most everybody lost every thing and he took advantage of a situation and made a profit, seems very familar if you ask me.
    Making a profit off the backs of others.:shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    Bush family conspiracy theory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Bush family conspiracy theory is an umbrella term used to describe various conspiracy theory allegations directed towards the family of President George W. Bush, including the President's brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, their brother Neil Bush, their father and former President George H. W. Bush, grandfather Prescott Bush, and great-grandfather George Herbert Walker.

Some allege criminal conspiracies involving United States or multinational corporations, vested interests, US government organizations, and various dictators. While some attach great importance to suggested links which connect individuals and companies, others dismiss some or all of the conspiracy theories as fantasy and claim that these connections are normal for business families and do not imply wrongdoing or malevolence.

I thought this might be of interest. Truth or fantasy who really knows?

Lets see we have the Kennedy conspiracy theory, the UFO conspiracy theory, the Area 51 conspiracy theory, The Philadelphia Experiment conspiracy theory, I could go on and on. What's the point, it's all a conspiracy. As Mulder used to say: "The truth is out there"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why leave out the part about Joe Sr. being a bootlegger? Why leave out the part where as ambassador to England, he managed to arrange a kick back on every bottle of Scotch shipped to the U.S.?

It's not like this is a secret, even the history channel did an episode or two on this. It's also not like the reason J.F.K could call on Union and the Mafia's support for his first election was the old man's connections with same from the prohibition liquor business.

Now if your really want to know about some real crooks who held the office some time I will tell you about LBJ.
    :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Now if your really want to know about some real crooks who held the office some time I will tell you about LBJ.
    :bbg:
    Why not tell us about Nixon?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    Why leave out the part about Joe Sr. being a bootlegger? Why leave out the part where as ambassador to England, he managed to arrange a kick back on every bottle of Scotch shipped to the U.S.?

It's not like this is a secret, even the history channel did an episode or two on this. It's also not like the reason J.F.K could call on Union and the Mafia's support for his first election was the old man's connections with same from the prohibition liquor business.

:bbg:[/QUOTE]

Chip I agree, but 35oldguy who resides not in the US considers it his right to disagree with all the US actions even though he does not even live here anymore. He decided that living south of the border where
    the GOOD OLD GREEN BACK WILL GO FURTHER was better than living in the US. I knew all about the boose, how he would collect so much on every import but see 35oldguy doesn't care about that, he doesn't care that there are AA meetings where people are trying to stay sober from the effects of the boose. He does not care that thousands are killed each year by boose ( drunk driving ). Because it was started by a family he likes ( democrats all stick together like liberals they are ) he won't bring a railing accusation against them. :shiner:

Thread Information