Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thing is they can't have the prices continue rising because there will be complete socio-economic breakdown if the cost of fuel goes too high.

remember your food is delivered by trucks and grown and harvested by petrol driven machines, the whole fabric of our economy is based on the availability of cheap oil.

it's not in anyones best interests for oil prices to rise really high, but rise it will as we put more and more demand on an ever decreasing supply.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    35oldguy
    Okay you guys I give up!!! Let us stop the BS and start being nice to each other!!I see no point in continuing this type of discussion. It just shows to the rest of the people on these boards how unintelligent some people can be!

Yes I have voted against GWB the last four times. We vote through the US Embassy. Father and son! Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.
    1. You say:
    "Okay you guys I give up"
    then go on to say:
    " I see no point in continuing this type of discussion. It just shows to the rest of the people on these boards how unintelligent some people can be!"
    Really! We are unintelligent?
    We did not bring up the points that I illustrated in post 80 you did.

2. I never called Americans lazy or fat you did.

3. It must be nice to sit in Guatemala while collecting your US pay check and living like a king while the people there live in squalor. Then you rip the US people! Unbelievable:hammer: [/QUOTE]

Bad address email on file
    The USA uses 19 Million gallons of gasoline a day.
    Western Europe 5.2 Million gallons a day.
    Russia 2.5 Million gallons per day.
    I am sorry who did you say was responsible for the high gas prices?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard on the news today that gas in Amsterdam converts to $7.35/gallon. We think we've got it bad??!!?:hammer:
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file
    I think we are going to start taking Exxon cards for our services.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023

Oh please, what's more immoral than sending other people's kids off to get killed and maimed when it could have been avoided. I grow weary of people wasting energy looking into other people's sex lives--the only skirt chasing that would my concern would be my husband's!!!!! And of course the resulting trial!!!!;)[/QUOTE]

Lets see WW 1, WW 2, ( Hilter killed 6 mil ) Stalins Gulags ( Reportedly killed more than 50 mil.I heard recently that most were christian, can't substantiate it but thats what I heard from a christian tape), Mao's killing camp (again reportiedly 100 mil were killed), Korean War and most recently the people dying in Africa, what was it a Mil in the Sudan alone! And what about the Iran, Iraq war? Where over a 1 mil died and some even had chemicals tried on them to see what reaction it would cause. So what is immoral? You have to draw the line some where, I bet if you caught your husband we might just have another Bobitt case! Just my 2 cents.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hawaii first in the Nation to impose Gas price cap. From:http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2...5-08-26-09.asp

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    chm2023

Oh please, what's more immoral than sending other people's kids off to get killed and maimed when it could have been avoided. I grow weary of people wasting energy looking into other people's sex lives--the only skirt chasing that would my concern would be my husband's!!!!! And of course the resulting trial!!!!;)

Lets see WW 1, WW 2, ( Hilter killed 6 mil ) Stalins Gulags ( Reportedly killed more than 50 mil.I heard recently that most were christian, can't substantiate it but thats what I heard from a christian tape), Mao's killing camp (again reportiedly 100 mil were killed), Korean War and most recently the people dying in Africa, what was it a Mil in the Sudan alone! And what about the Iran, Iraq war? Where over a 1 mil died and some even had chemicals tried on them to see what reaction it would cause. So what is immoral? You have to draw the line some where, I bet if you caught your husband we might just have another Bobitt case! Just my 2 cents. [/QUOTE]

My comments were in response to the (I thought?) sarcastic statement that we needed more skirt chasing in the WH--a reference I took to negatively compare the seriousness of Willie's mistakes to the mistakes of the current occupant of the WH.

I don't see myself as Mrs Bobbitt--but I wouldn't want to count on it!:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023

My comments were in response to the (I thought?) sarcastic statement that we needed more skirt chasing in the WH--a reference I took to negatively compare the seriousness of Willie's mistakes to the mistakes of the current occupant of the WH.

I don't see myself as Mrs Bobbitt--but I wouldn't want to count on it!:bbg:[/QUOTE]

Apparently you were not keeping up with the diatribe between myself and 32oldguy. His comment in post 82 is what prompted my response.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Hawaii first in the Nation to impose Gas price cap. From:http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2...5-08-26-09.asp
    And man do we need it! Oahu still has gas at $2.79 or something, the Big Island at $3.04, and here on Maui its between $3.11 and $3.31!! They say the extra cost is due to shipping - Hello! The Big Island is further from Oahu than we are! Problem is only two gas companies here, so no competition. We're all hoping that Costco brings in a service station, and then maybe we'll see a drop in all this gouging....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gas just hit between $3.09 to $3.19 for reg unleded. Be sure to send a thank you letter to the EPA!
    Paul:cheers:

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    Gas just hit between $3.09 to $3.19 for reg unleded. Be sure to send a thank you letter to the EPA!
    I do. Everytime I swim in the river that flows through my hometown. 20 years ago it was too toxic to swim in, now it's almost up to drinking water standards. THANKS EPA!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    I'll trade lung cancer and emphezema for $1.00/ gallon. What I won't trade is outrageous oil company profits::angry:

"Exxon Mobil profits jump 32 percent"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1465359/posts

"Profit Soars at Exxon Mobil"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072802085.html
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $5.98 a gallon last night. Price gouging....

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Between $3.19 to $3.69 yesterday. I am glad I filled my tank up when the truck stop was at $2.54.

Anyone listen to the news conference yesterday? The temporarily repealed the clean air act til Sept 15th to help get production ramped up and cut costs. They also have opened up part of the reserves.

It was somewhat disheartening to here that the energy situation was discussed before any of the health and human services were. Yet I suppose that the gas does influence everyone and is more the long term issue. Still if I was one of the residents I would be angry. Thousands of people still stuck. Hospitals supporting premies with batteries and hand crancking machines.. and Oil is the nations first priority.

Cassandra

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    My understanding of the oil reserves is that they're not refined oil. What that means is that were still severely crunched by refinery capacity, particularly now that a number of refineries along the Gulf coast are shuttered.

Gas certainly won't be getting cheaper but over $5.00 in Georgia is outrageous. Call your local attourney general, that type of price gouging is illegal in most of the US and maybe in your local as well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The news recently was reporting about the gas prices in the Atlanta area. Most places are now at $4.99 and higher. The reason being supply and demand. A large portion of both refugees and relief workers are pouring through the area. The huge demand for a low supply is driving the prices up. Some places have actually quit selling to the general public period, to make sure the gas is there for relief efforts and public works.

They also told stories of truckers who are trying to get home, but can't find diesel anywhere in a quantity to allow them to leave. Basically fuel in the surrounding states is very hard to find.

Even here, the price has gone up by 70 cents or more in some areas per gallon. One chain of stations who have a contract to provide gas for state and city vehicles has now stopped selling gas to the general public to make sure they have an adequate supply.

Maybe people now will actually invest in our failing bus system, carpool, etc.

I wonder how expensive it will be to heat the house this winter?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    Wow! My mistake, I had no idea shortages were that severe yet. Yikes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    coda
    Wow! My mistake, I had no idea shortages were that severe yet. Yikes.[/QUOTE]

Wow I thought I paid a lot when I gassed up today at $2.89 and Prem. at $3.09
    I also heard if you don't gas now there might not be any gas left! Another 73-74
    all over again! Maybe John Fogerty is right it's " DeJa Vu all over again "

9-5-2005

PS a buddy of mine called a couple of days ago and said he just paid $3.89 per
    gal. I said that's not funny but 12 hours earlier I paid $2.69 per gal. it jumped a $1.20 per gal in less than 12 hours. If that is not price gouging I don't know what is.
    Last edited by jediron1; 09-05-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spent the Labor Day Weekend driving a 16' moving truck from Witchita to Sarasota.

The cost of the flight on Thursday night out of SRQ for two tickets-business class- was $299.00

The cost of gas on the drive back - $587.00
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just paid $3.39 for regular tonight; $40.25 to fill the tank and I don't drive a 4x4. Almost $10 more than only a week ago.

I think the picture below will be my next car. How much are a good pair of running shoes?
    :cheers:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ten bucks a week. Holy Mackinaw Andy, Looks like we are going to have to cut out a couple of Starbucks a weeks or a couple of packs of Virginia Slims to break even.

In truth, I do not know anyone who has changed their driving patterns to accommodate this temporary rise in fuel prices; the economy is just too good.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Gas here is $2.89 this AM. I paid $2.59 in St. Cloud, Mn. on Tuesday. Prices here are going down.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prices in New Jersey have come down in the last week, from $3.35 a week ago to $3.05 this morning. Suburban Philadelphia is still around $3.40. I filled up our minivan at the beginning of last week - I stopped at $60.00, just couldn't bring myself to go any further.
    ...Just ask me...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We started to ride together to work. Cuts our costs in half!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Ten bucks a week. Holy Mackinaw Andy, Looks like we are going to have to cut out a couple of Starbucks a weeks or a couple of packs of Virginia Slims to break even.

In truth, I do not know anyone who has changed their driving patterns to accommodate this temporary rise in fuel prices; the economy is just too good.

Thread Information