Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    The thing with E85 is that you need to have a vehicle that can use it. Only certain makes and models utilize this fuel. Those of us driving older cars are out of luck :(
    Very true, it will only work in certain models. However there are a number of vehicles as old as mid 90s models which will run E85 with out any modification. I believe some mid 90s Sentras and Tauruses (Tauri?) will, many pickups produced after 2000 as well.

Even on some models not intially FFV (flexible fuel vehicles) it is possible to make relatively minor upgrades to allow the use of E85.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Too bad you do not live in the USA. We could use you as a lobbyist against BUSH. I hope no future Bush' ever run for office agaIN. tHE sTUPID aMERICAN PUBLIC would probably get another smoke screen.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    The NIMBY crowd will see to it that coastal drilling and especially refineries don't happen in the US

As for ANWR, that requires Bush to unilaterally break a signed treaty with Canada, which supplies more oil & gas to the US than any other nation in the world. ANWR drilling is seen in canada as a big slap, just like the Bush Admin's big tariffs on softwood lumber (which have been ruled illegal by the WTO and increase the cost of new houses in the US)... But bush of course is a corporation disguised as a human being, and a self-proclaimed conservative who in actuality runs huge deficits and is anti-free-trade (re: steel, food, softwood, etc)

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And this is coming from a clown that is living: "In Guatemala we pay $3.00 plus a gallon". This guy is living in Guatemala and trying to tell us how we should live. Maybe gas is higher but Im sure you have cheap labor, just ask Wal-Mart. Wow the gall of some people where did you grow up in Beverly Hills?:hammer:

I was born actually very close to Beverly Hills! No pun intended! I grew up in Kansas where we walked a lot. I lived over 50 of my years in the USA. Only a few years here in Guatemala. The climate is great here. I am going to retire one day. The weather here we do not need foot warmers!

I guess times have changed! When I lived in the states I thought we had it pretty good! We had all the things we needed and got a lot of the things that we wanted. It is too bad that a few people like some of those from New York do not appreciate what they have instead of criticzing people from a different culture where things are not as great as they are in the good ole USA!!!

As far as cheap labor, the poor people of Guatemala are forced to move to the land of opportunity (USA) so they can make a better wage than they can get even if they had the opportunity to even find a JOB in their home country. Even then they are underpaid. It is the companies in the USA that are taking advantage of that so called cheap LABOR!!!

Yes I have an opinion about people that are lazy in the USA!! So many of them are OBESE!! If they would get some exercise and stop eating so much of thaT JUNK FOOD THEY WOULD BE A LOT HEALTHIER!

12 miles to work and back. Yes I think I too would drive. It would be more comfortable!! Probably too dangerous also!!

But many people do find other means to save $$$. I wonder if their heart rate is better for it. I applaud those that find a better way to survive when gas prices are too high!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui
    In the Midwest we have E85 fuel available, 85% ethinol 15% gasoline, about $0.80 to $1.00 cheaper than regular gas.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about the E85? I heard on tv today that a guy redid his old car to take the ethinol but said it still cost about the same as reg.,so where's the savings?

PS Just saw a site where E85 was listed at $2.05 so I guess you do save some
    but most cars are not equipped with the equipment needed to run on E85.
    Last edited by jediron1; 08-23-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy
    I was born actually very close to Beverly Hills! No pun intended! I grew up in Kansas where we walked a lot. I lived over 50 of my years in the USA. Only a few years here in Guatemala. The climate is great here. I am going to retire one day. The weather here we do not need foot warmers!

I guess times have changed! When I lived in the states I thought we had it pretty good! We had all the things we needed and got a lot of the things that we wanted. It is too bad that a few people like some of those from New York do not appreciate what they have instead of criticzing people from a different culture where things are not as great as they are in the good ole USA!!!

As far as cheap labor, the poor people of Guatemala are forced to move to the land of opportunity (USA) so they can make a better wage than they can get even if they had the opportunity to even find a JOB in their home country. Even then they are underpaid. It is the companies in the USA that are taking advantage of that so called cheap LABOR!!!

Yes I have an opinion about people that are lazy in the USA!! So many of them are OBESE!! If they would get some exercise and stop eating so much of thaT JUNK FOOD THEY WOULD BE A LOT HEALTHIER!

12 miles to work and back. Yes I think I too would drive. It would be more comfortable!! Probably too dangerous also!!

But many people do find other means to save $$$. I wonder if their heart rate is better for it. I applaud those that find a better way to survive when gas prices are too high!![/QUOTE]

1. I guess were not in Kansas anymore Toto!

2. People in New York appreciate more than you think. As to your remark:
    "do not appreciate what they have instead of criticzing people from a different culture"
    There was no criticizing the people of Guatemala just the expatriots of the US who live there and then criticize (sorry had to correct your spelling error)
    the US people while living abroad. It's convenient to spout off about the US
    while your living in Guatemala. Maybe if you still lived here you would be given more respect for your opinions, but running away and living Guatemala
    seems a bit hypocritcal!

3. If the people in Guatemala are so poor why are you not helping them, your right there? Why would you go to this poor land when the people as you say have to go to the US to the land of opportunity? Could it be your US dollar goes a lot further there then here?

4. I would have to agree with post #48:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

35yearold guy
    "I guess times have changed! When I lived in the states I thought we had it pretty good! We had all the things we needed and got a lot of the things that we wanted. It is too bad that a few people like some of those from New York do not appreciate what they have instead of criticzing people from a different culture where things are not as great as they are in the good ole USA!!!"

If things are that great in GT my hope is that you can stay there! BTW did you vote in the last 2 elections? were you even in the country? If you voted, feel free to dog Bush and his polices, if you didnt, shut the **** up, your opinion is nothing.:finger:
    Paul:cheers:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay you guys I give up!!! Let us stop the BS and start being nice to each other!!I see no point in continuing this type of discussion. It just shows to the rest of the people on these boards how unintelligent some people can be!

Yes I have voted against GWB the last four times. We vote through the US Embassy. Father and son! Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    35yearold guy
    "I guess times have changed! When I lived in the states I thought we had it pretty good! We had all the things we needed and got a lot of the things that we wanted. It is too bad that a few people like some of those from New York do not appreciate what they have instead of criticzing people from a different culture where things are not as great as they are in the good ole USA!!!"

If things are that great in GT my hope is that you can stay there! BTW did you vote in the last 2 elections? were you even in the country? If you voted, feel free to dog Bush and his polices, if you didnt, shut the **** up, your opinion is nothing.:finger:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.
    One term for perjury. One term for "low" crimes and misdemeanors ...

Hey, I'm just having fun here. I never get serious about anything in these threads except foreign policy.

:cheers:

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35, If you voted, dog away! Bush very well be the reason for all of the gas woes and problems in the world. But I still refuse to think most of us(US) are lazy. Yes are standard of living is far grater than some of the world but there is on reason to by sorry or ashamed. And you sitting in GT doging the country/adminastration, if you dont like the way things are going come back and make a change.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Me too! I enjoy these boards.

Yes, perjury. They proved it! Is the President of the United States above the law? Clinton. Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg

Hey, I'm just having fun here. I never get serious about anything in these threads except foreign policy.

:cheers:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Ziggy! My comments are just pure frustrations!

I just read a report on the internet "WASHINGTON - Obesity rates rose last year in every state but Oregon, according to an advocacy group that called on the government and the private sector to get more involved in Americans' battle with expanding waistlines!

I agree why be ashamed or sorry! But there are people who do need help!

I do not believe other than voting any one person will make that much difference in changing the current policies of President Bush! He is President for a reason. He is part of the "Skull and Bones" group!

Control of the world by a few is their goal I think. Any comments?

35, If you voted, dog away! Bush very well be the reason for all of the gas woes and problems in the world. But I still refuse to think most of us(US) are lazy. Yes are standard of living is far grater than some of the world but there is on reason to by sorry or ashamed. And you sitting in GT doging the country/adminastration, if you dont like the way things are going come back and make a change.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    That's very funny, Rinsey.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35, I dont know about the S&B theory,, what I do know is that this goverment(reguardless of who in the white house) gives money to the third world than any other country in the world. The problem lies with the corruption with in the reciving goverments.Great debate and I hope no hard feelings.:cheers:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just asking my partner that very question. He is Guatemalan. He does not think that the US gives that much aid to Guatemala. He says that depends on what side of the fence you are on whether you benefited from past aid that the country recieved from the United States.

In the 1980's during the Civil War many Mayan Indians were massacred by the government. During that time General Rios Mont was the President after a coup and was responsible for many of the still hundreds of thousands of missing people.We and President Reagan supported General Rios Montt.

I think that the most aid that is received here is from ONG's non-profit organizations thast send volunteers and aid in the form of goods or money. It is non government and through this type of aid is how many Guastemalan people survive.

Corruption during the Portillo regime they stole everything including the IGSS social security for old people. The mafia controls the country. The former president had many friends in organized crime.

The present government is trying to bring many of the so called former government officials to justice but they get off after paying a small fine. They keep the millions they stole.

I enjoyed it. Life is too short not to have fun!

35, I dont know about the S&B theory,, what I do know is that this goverment(reguardless of who in the white house) gives money to the third world than any other country in the world. The problem lies with the corruption with in the reciving goverments.Great debate and I hope no hard feelings.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have made my point better than I could have. The internal problems in GT limit the good that any aid sent by the US can have. We(the US) could have been sending Billions to GT and a very small amount will trickel to the people that need it. The press in countries outside the US often talk about how little the US does to help them, what they fail to mention is how much WAS Sent and how much got gobbled up in "Cost". Once again, not our problem or fault. I guess it all depends on whos ox is being gored or whos calf is being licked.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Exactly!

You have made my point better than I could have. The internal problems in GT limit the good that any aid sent by the US can have. We(the US) could have been sending Billions to GT and a very small amount will trickel to the people that need it. The press in countries outside the US often talk about how little the US does to help them, what they fail to mention is how much WAS Sent and how much got gobbled up in "Cost". Once again, not our problem or fault. I guess it all depends on whos ox is being gored or whos calf is being licked.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy
    Okay you guys I give up!!! Let us stop the BS and start being nice to each other!!I see no point in continuing this type of discussion. It just shows to the rest of the people on these boards how unintelligent some people can be!

Yes I have voted against GWB the last four times. We vote through the US Embassy. Father and son! Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.[/QUOTE]

1. You say:
    "Okay you guys I give up"
    then go on to say:
    " I see no point in continuing this type of discussion. It just shows to the rest of the people on these boards how unintelligent some people can be!"
    Really! We are unintelligent?
    We did not bring up the points that I illustrated in post 80 you did.

2. I never called Americans lazy or fat you did.

3. It must be nice to sit in Guatemala while collecting your US pay check and living like a king while the people there live in squalor. Then you rip the US people! Unbelievable:hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 08-23-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy

Yes I have voted against GWB the last four times. We vote through the US Embassy. Father and son! Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.[/QUOTE]

Ya that is exactly what we need another four years of Clinton chasing skirts all
    over the White House again! WOW :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ziggy
    You have made my point better than I could have. The internal problems in GT limit the good that any aid sent by the US can have. We(the US) could have been sending Billions to GT and a very small amount will trickel to the people that need it. The press in countries outside the US often talk about how little the US does to help them, what they fail to mention is how much WAS Sent and how much got gobbled up in "Cost". Once again, not our problem or fault. I guess it all depends on whos ox is being gored or whos calf is being licked.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time it's not "Cost" it is government corruption at the highest levels in these countries. Look what is happening in Africa. They get huge amounts of aid but very little gets to the people.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    35oldguy

Yes I have voted against GWB the last four times. We vote through the US Embassy. Father and son! Too bad Clinton could not have served more terms.

Ya that is exactly what we need another four years of Clinton chasing skirts all
    over the White House again! WOW :hammer:[/QUOTE]

Well, versus this insane war and lack of energy policy, skirt chasing seems a minor, minor issue, don't ya think??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023
    over the White House again! WOW :hammer:[/QUOTE]

Well, versus this insane war and lack of energy policy, skirt chasing seems a minor, minor issue, don't ya think??[/QUOTE]

It all depends where your morals are! If you think skirt chasing is ok then that is you not me. The insane war could be over if the Rep and Dems got together and
    went as a united front to the President and the People and demanded a full pull out. Just my 2 cents :p

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    chm2023
    over the White House again! WOW :hammer:
    Well, versus this insane war and lack of energy policy, skirt chasing seems a minor, minor issue, don't ya think??[/QUOTE]

It all depends where your morals are! If you think skirt chasing is ok then that is you not me. The insane war could be over if the Rep and Dems got together and
    went as a united front to the President and the People and demanded a full pull out. Just my 2 cents :p[/QUOTE]

Oh please, what's more immoral than sending other people's kids off to get killed and maimed when it could have been avoided. I grow weary of people wasting energy looking into other people's sex lives--the only skirt chasing that would my concern would be my husband's!!!!! And of course the resulting trial!!!!;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    There is a reason Gas Prices are so high, it's called Peak Oil and we are getting very near to it.

The problem is not so much one of oil running out, it is of production reaching it's maximum after which it becomes harder and harder to extract from the ground. This coupled with our ever increasing demand for cheap oil is causing / going to cause the price of oil to skyrocket.

enjoy it while you can guys, I think $100 a barrel is on the cards, the consequences of which will be a disaster for all our Western economys which are fundamentally based on an ever increasing supply of oil.

don't believe me? Take a look at this: www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net it's quite eye opening (read: depressing).

Occupation
    There was a fellow on one of the Sunday news programs who has written in the book--something with "Desert" in the title. Anyway, his thesis is that the Saudis have exaggerated them oil reserves and are probably sitting on a whole lot less than they say. $100 barrel could be cheap if this is the case.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here, here!!! What is more immoral than killing people? Chasing skirts is a personal matter and it is no ones business but the people involved.

How many of you have read about the skull and bones club of the rich and famous including our current pressident. Go to: www.skull and bones.com. This a real eye opener.

Wars are for financial and politcal gain for the more powerful figures in the world. We the American people just keep getting duped by our national leaders every day. We are fools!!

The major players of this defined group are in the oil business and they want the price to continue going up. This includes are current President. Why do you think they want Jeb Bush to make a run for President?!!! It is called POWER!!

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Well, versus this insane war and lack of energy policy, skirt chasing seems a minor, minor issue, don't ya think??

went as a united front to the President and the People and demanded a full pull out. Just my 2 cents :p[/QUOTE]

Oh please, what's more immoral than sending other people's kids off to get killed and maimed when it could have been avoided. I grow weary of people wasting energy looking into other people's sex lives--the only skirt chasing that would my concern would be my husband's!!!!! And of course the resulting trial!!!!;)[/QUOTE]

Thread Information