Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Aren't we about the greatest good for the greatest number?? ;)
    Yes, we DEMOCRATS are.
    ...Just ask me...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Brazil they are making a different type of fuel. It works! Why doesn't some big business in the USA do the same thing. Instant MILLIONaires!!

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Yesterday Nantucket checked in at 3.25 which was (as of yesterday) the highest in the US. I harken back to a post I made some time back asking the question "What is it about the statement ' It's ALL about oil!" that you don't understand.?" I remember a few of our brethren and sistren took issue with that.They are conspicuous by their silence today.

The arabs are happy, the "oilmen" are happy, the oil companies are happy, the stockholders are happy and finally the politicians are happy.Aren't we about the greatest good for the greatest number?? ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy
    Sorry Ziggy but my response was directed to a group of people not you personally. No I will not kiss your ***!!! Most people in the United States are lazy and would rather ***** their life away and complain. It is just as easy to think postive as it is negative but most people are negative. That is why 98% of people do not succeed in life.

Everyone can save money but they need to do it collectively to make a difference. Just like the woman that camped out at Bush's ranch in Texas. She is making a difference!!! She has made the ultimate sacrifice!! She lost a son to Iraq!! Whoever voted that guy in it was a vote for big business and higher gasoline prices!!!

It is high time the American people get off their *** and start doing something to improve their lives!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

And this is coming from a clown that is living: "In Guatemala we pay $3.00 plus a gallon". This guy is living in Guatemala and trying to tell us how we should live. Maybe gas is higher but Im sure you have cheap labor, just ask Wal-Mart. Wow the gall of some people where did you grow up in Beverly Hills?:hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Paid $3.05/gal yesterday. Makes me happy I walk to work.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I ride a bike to work. Paid $2.93 this AM

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    In Brazil they are making a different type of fuel. It works! Why doesn't some big business in the USA do the same thing. Instant MILLIONaires!!
    I am pretty sure that Ethanol is their main source of fuel. However, from my understanding it is still more expensive that gasoline. I think this is why you have not seen it enter the market.

I think we better get used to the high price of energy now, because we will see alternatives but they will be no cheaper.

Occupation
    In the Midwest we have E85 fuel available, 85% ethinol 15% gasoline, about $0.80 to $1.00 cheaper than regular gas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui]
    ride a bike to work. Paid $2.93 this AM[/QUOTE]

"I ride a bike to work" but I "Paid $2.93 this AM"! I guess I missed the point!:hammer:
    I just filled my Car-Van cost $40.00 for 15 gal. $2.59 per gal.

PS I noticed the premium grade as they call it was $2.89
    Last edited by jediron1; 08-21-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    spartus
    Paid $3.05/gal yesterday. Makes me happy I walk to work.[/QUOTE]

I would love to walk to work but that would be a 12 mile hike each way and during the winter that would be in possible. Kind of hard to walk 12 miles in below zero weather that we get here in December,January and Feb. Ouch please pass the foot warmers please!;)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    The NIMBY crowd will see to it that coastal drilling and especially refineries don't happen in the US

As for ANWR, that requires Bush to unilaterally break a signed treaty with Canada, which supplies more oil & gas to the US than any other nation in the world. ANWR drilling is seen in canada as a big slap, just like the Bush Admin's big tariffs on softwood lumber (which have been ruled illegal by the WTO and increase the cost of new houses in the US)... But bush of course is a corporation disguised as a human being, and a self-proclaimed conservative who in actuality runs huge deficits and is anti-free-trade (re: steel, food, softwood, etc)

Occupation
    NIMBY --?

I had to look that up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-25-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a patient, who is a college professor who rides a bicycle wherever he goes. He smells like he rides a bicycle everywhere he goes.

I would ride a bicycle to work (a good 5 mile ride) every day if: My office had a shower and I had a change of clothes there. But until I do, I'll ride alone in my S-10.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Go scoot.....................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I would ride a bicycle to work (a good 5 mile ride) every day if: My office had a shower and I had a change of clothes there. But until I do, I'll ride alone in my S-10.
    Chip
    How about getting yourself a Honda, Yamaha or Vespa scooter...............49cc would use a tank full (1 gallon) every 2 weeks for the distance you are going, and you would not need a shower or a change of clothes.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris: I love motorcycles and I have knees in 3 colors from them. But my wife says she would name it as correspondent in a divorce.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Also my Texas machismo upbringing wouldn't let me ride anything under 500 cc.

Chip
    :cheers:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Wife's allowance will be cut......................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Chris:
    1) ....... I love motorcycles and I have knees in 3 colors from them. But my wife says she would name it as correspondent in a divorce.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

2)...........Also my Texas machismo upbringing wouldn't let me ride anything under 500 cc.
    :cheers:

1) Due to elevated gas prices the wifes allowance has to be cut by the percentage the gas prices went up. Due to a lower allowance the wife will suggest you drive a vehicle using less gas.

2) Old age and colored knees would suggest that the "Texas machismo" should be suppessed by logical reasoning. Therfore a 49cc would be in good order as a gas saver to get wifes allowance to former level.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rinselberg
    NIMBY --?

I had to look that up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY[/QUOTE]

I looked it up too! Can you print that?:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    I have a patient, who is a college professor who rides a bicycle wherever he goes. He smells like he rides a bicycle everywhere he goes.

Chip[/QUOTE]

I had one come in riding a Harley and he smelled worse than I think the Harley did! But he does get good gas milage.:D

Occupation

Big Smile Nimby...............

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    The NIMBY crowd will see to it that coastal drilling and especially refineries don't happen in the US
    i checked too:

NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is a pejorative acronym for the phenomenon where local residents (NIMBIES) object to proposed development of new facilities near their homes or within their communities. The protested facilities can be anything—including housing, schools, roads, shopping, or public transit

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    Can you print that?
    You mean this?

NIMBY
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is a pejorative acronym for the phenomenon where local residents (NIMBIES) object to proposed development of new facilities near their homes or within their communities. The protested facilities can be anything—including housing, schools, roads, shopping, or public transit.

NIMBIES advance a number of arguments against the proposed development. While sometimes acknowledging the need for such developments, NIMBIES may claim that new development will increase local traffic, hurt small business, decrease property values, degrade the environment, or generally strain public resources. Other times, if—for instance—a big-box store is planned, NIMBIES object that the store will be disproportionately used by non-locals, while degrading the quality of life for locals.

Critics of NIMBIES claim that NIMBIES are motivated more their own isolationist attitudes, individualistic needs, and unwillingness to be inconvenienced by civic concerns. Critics claim that the new developments are needed, and they may accuse the NIMBIES of having the drawbridge mentality.

NIMBYISM can bee seen as a byproduct of several attitudes. It stems from a hyper-individualism in which the interests of the individual blind the individual from appreciating the needs of their community. It stems from pastoralism, which holds urbanism and development to be breeding grounds for corruption, crime, and needless complexity while less developed areas are thought to be paradises of purity, rejuvenation, and beautiful simplicity. And it also stems from the conservative attitude of wanting to be “left alone” from the onslaught of modern evils.

When NIMBYISM dominates political battles, it sets of a chain reaction that promotes urban sprawl. Because population grows continuously, new developments must be built somewhere. If suburban NIMBIES make developers unwelcome, developers can simply avert lengthy political fights by building in less developed areas on the outskirts of suburbia, where NIMBY opposition cannot galvanize. When many developers build large developments on the outskirts, they fuel the pattern of low-density development known as sprawl. NIMBIES who squelch local development may have preserved the quality of life in the immediate future for themselves, but in the long term they are actually diminishing the quality of life at the regional for everyone, since sprawl causes many problems, including increased traffic and longer commutes.

NIMBYISM often promotes homogeneity of communities. For instance, amongst the affluent NIMBY’s most hotly contested form of developments are low-income housing and halfway houses. NIMBIES object that these developments will attract crime and lower property values. By opposing these lower socioeconomic brackets, NIMBIES oppose diversity. If any development is likely to be welcomed by NIMBIES, they are developments that are like what’s already there—housing (and shopping) for people of the same socioeconomic brackets. NIMBIES perceive this homogenious development as the least threatening.

When NIMBIES oppose development, the issue may be presented by both sides as an either/or issues (i.e. either we build it here or we don’t). As population grows, the reality is that new development must be built somewhere. The real question is not whether to build it, but where (and how) to build it. From a broader perspective, residents must also consider how they want their communities to grow. Advocacy groups like the Sierra Club tout Smart Growth an alternative to NIMBY's push for conservation and the developer's push for growth.

See also

* hypocrisy
    * Drawbridge mentality
    * BANANA
    * NIABY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-23-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rinselberg
    Jediron1 said "Can you print that?"

You mean this?

NIMBY
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is a pejorative acronym for the phenomenon where local residents (NIMBIES) object to proposed development of new facilities near their homes or within their communities. The protested facilities can be anything—including housing, schools, roads, shopping, or public transit.

NIMBIES advance a number of arguments against the proposed development. While sometimes acknowledging the need for such developments, NIMBIES may claim that new development will increase local traffic, hurt small business, decrease property values, degrade the environment, or generally strain public resources. Other times, if—for instance—a big-box store is planned, NIMBIES object that the store will be disproportionately used by non-locals, while degrading the quality of life for locals.

Critics of NIMBIES claim that NIMBIES are motivated more their own isolationist attitudes, individualistic needs, and unwillingness to be inconvenienced by civic concerns. Critics claim that the new developments are needed, and they may accuse the NIMBIES of having the drawbridge mentality.

NIMBYISM can bee seen as a byproduct of several attitudes. It stems from a hyper-individualism in which the interests of the individual blind the individual from appreciating the needs of their community. It stems from pastoralism, which holds urbanism and development to be breeding grounds for corruption, crime, and needless complexity while less developed areas are thought to be paradises of purity, rejuvenation, and beautiful simplicity. And it also stems from the conservative attitude of wanting to be “left alone” from the onslaught of modern evils.

When NIMBYISM dominates political battles, it sets of a chain reaction that promotes urban sprawl. Because population grows continuously, new developments must be built somewhere. If suburban NIMBIES make developers unwelcome, developers can simply avert lengthy political fights by building in less developed areas on the outskirts of suburbia, where NIMBY opposition cannot galvanize. When many developers build large developments on the outskirts, they fuel the pattern of low-density development known as sprawl. NIMBIES who squelch local development may have preserved the quality of life in the immediate future for themselves, but in the long term they are actually diminishing the quality of life at the regional for everyone, since sprawl causes many problems, including increased traffic and longer commutes.

NIMBYISM often promotes homogeneity of communities. For instance, amongst the affluent NIMBY’s most hotly contested form of developments are low-income housing and halfway houses. NIMBIES object that these developments will attract crime and lower property values. By opposing these lower socioeconomic brackets, NIMBIES oppose diversity. If any development is likely to be welcomed by NIMBIES, they are developments that are like what’s already there—housing (and shopping) for people of the same socioeconomic brackets. NIMBIES perceive this homogenious development as the least threatening.

When NIMBIES oppose development, the issue may be presented by both sides as an either/or issues (i.e. either we build it here or we don’t). As population grows, the reality is that new development must be built somewhere. The real question is not whether to build it, but where (and how) to build it. From a broader perspective, residents must also consider how they want their communities to grow. Advocacy groups like the Sierra Club tout Smart Growth an alternative to NIMBY's push for conservation and the developer's push for growth.

See also

* hypocrisy
    * Drawbridge mentality
    * BANANA
    * NIABY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY[/QUOTE]

Yo Rinsel: I was joking, you know ha,ha :hammer:

Occupation

Has anyone heard of this?

I bought a car that was supposed to get 30 Miles to the gallon. I have been only getting about 23 or 24. My mechanic (and several other people) have said, "You need to put a few thousand miles on it and let the engine tighten up. Then you'll get better mileage"
    To this I say "Bull $#@#$"
    I have never heard that before and Dont believe it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    "You need to put a few thousand miles on it and let the engine tighten up. Then you'll get better mileage"
    Seems like I heard in engineering school that engines loosen up in a few thousand.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    In the Midwest we have E85 fuel available, 85% ethinol 15% gasoline, about $0.80 to $1.00 cheaper than regular gas.
    I believe it's cheaper because ethanol is so heavily subsidized by the government. I keep waiting for E85 to show up here (southern California), it burns cleaner and should make the greenies happy, but still no go. I figure if I'm gonna pay for somebodies cheap 'gas' I should be able to buy some too.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The thing with E85 is that you need to have a vehicle that can use it. Only certain makes and models utilize this fuel. Those of us driving older cars are out of luck :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's True!!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    I bought a car that was supposed to get 30 Miles to the gallon. I have been only getting about 23 or 24. My mechanic (and several other people) have said, "You need to put a few thousand miles on it and let the engine tighten up. Then you'll get better mileage"
    To this I say "Bull $#@#$"
    I have never heard that before and Dont believe it.
    I bought a Kia in Jan. and didnt start getting 30+MPG untill March:hammer: I dont understant why but the guy at the dealership told me in 4-6 weeks I'd see the 30+MPG and he was right!
    Paul:cheers:

Thread Information