Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Other countries try to restrict driving so they tax gasoline at a very high rate. Money funds good mass transit, less driving means less emissions, less driving promotes healthier lifestyle with walking, biking. But hey, what's that compared to a Hummer?
    Calgary, probably the most oil rich city in Canada if not NA, has a terrible public transit system. It can't keep up with the sprawl of the city. If I'm not mistaken Calgary is one of the largest cities in the world.(sq. miles or km)Our gas prices just went up to $.90 a LITER. That's almost 4 bucks a gallon.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Calgary, probably the most oil rich city in Canada if not NA, has a terrible public transit system. It can't keep up with the sprawl of the city. If I'm not mistaken Calgary is one of the largest cities in the world.(sq. miles or km)Our gas prices just went up to $.90 a LITER. That's almost 4 bucks a gallon.
    I'm sure there are lots of examples of places where there is bad mass transit and high gas prices. Western Europe and Japan are the places I was thinking of--large geography and spread out population are not ideal for this model I would think.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm sure there are lots of examples of places where there is bad mass transit and high gas prices. Western Europe and Japan are the places I was thinking of--large geography and spread out population are not ideal for this model I would think.
    When my wife and I lived in the downtown core it was fantastic. You could walk to work, shopping, bars etc. We never needed a car and didn't have one for 5 years (it was very Friends).Then we decided to buy a home and the area that suited us bested (cost/value) were out in the sticks with no transit. We hope in the next couple years we will be able to move back closer to the core.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Filled up the van yesterday for $50.:drop:
    Last edited by Spexvet; 06-24-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    ExonMobile 1st quarter 2005 dividends in at $0.29 a share. Stock up 10% since the first of the year. Thank you grandpa Baker for the 100 shares that you bought for me on my birth in 1940. Thank you for instilling in me the principals of capitalism.

I am also grateful for resisting the many impulses in past years to sell and buy toys or engage in some “brain storm” and become “Mr. Big Shot.”

Today, the dividends alone pay all the fuel costs for my big scary Republican SUV, Town Car and motor home.

How sweet it is.

Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    ExonMobile 1st quarter 2005 dividends in at $0.29 a share. Stock up 10% since the first of the year. Thank you grandpa Baker for the 100 shares that you bought for me on my birth in 1940. Thank you for instilling in me the principals of capitalism.

I am also grateful for resisting the many impulses in past years to sell and buy toys or engage in some “brain storm” and become “Mr. Big Shot.”

Today, the dividends alone pay all the fuel costs for my big scary Republican SUV, Town Car and motor home.

How sweet it is.

Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Let's hope your Exxon/Mobil stock doesn't go the way of GM stock. Never say never I guess! (Your e-mail made me chuckle: my brother in law drives a Town Car. His kids call it "the Republican car". I don't get that necessarily, but it always reminds me of funerals...:bbg: Different strokes as they say!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How sweet it is.

Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com
    Your mother must be proud of you.
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other countries try to restrict driving so they tax gasoline at a very high rate. Money funds good mass transit, less driving means less emissions, less driving promotes healthier lifestyle with walking, biking. But hey, what's that compared to a Hummer?
    We'll talk again when you have your first heart attack.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    We'll talk again when you have your first heart attack.
    more walking and biking = less heart attacking

Bad address email on file
    Give me big fat butts and SUV'S in the good of the USA

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    more walking and biking = less heart attacking
    What he said! More walking would make us all heathier and alleviate traffic--PED POWER!!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    chm2023 $ ken@foothills

You just wait! Town Car’s & SUV’s become medical devices when you get old. I actually lost a $100.00 bet last summer when I could not get into a friends Miata. I even had help. I recall when Bill Russell’s comment on his retirement from the Celtics “the legs go first.”. All those years of sex, drugs and rock & roll take their toll.

Mass transit is an economic loser requiring vast sums of tax payer money.

Ownership and equity in American businesses is a long term investment. I understand fully that we live in a now now now culture of immediate gratification today. Over the years GM has provided jobs and wealth to hundreds of thousands of Americans. My opinion is that GM and the other American auto companies are in a market position today that will improve as production moves offshore to their international partners and divisions. We have to look at the long term picture, 10. 20, 30 years.

Occupation
    chm2023 $ ken@foothills

You just wait! Town Car’s & SUV’s become medical devices when you get old. I actually lost a $100.00 bet last summer when I could not get into a friends Miata. I even had help. I recall when Bill Russell’s comment on his retirement from the Celtics “the legs go first.”. All those years of sex, drugs and rock & roll take their toll.

Mass transit is an economic loser requiring vast sums of tax payer money.

Ownership and equity in American businesses is a long term investment. I understand fully that we live in a now now now culture of immediate gratification today. Over the years GM has provided jobs and wealth to hundreds of thousands of Americans. My opinion is that GM and the other American auto companies are in a market position today that will improve as production moves offshore to their international partners and divisions. We have to look at the long term picture, 10. 20, 30 years.

I can see the Town Car, but my mother can't get into a SUV; hell, I have a hard time!!!!

And you know you wouldn't trade your wild days of debauchery for anything!!! (Just think how p***ed off you'd be if the legs were gone and all you had to think back on were Young Republican meetings!;)) Rock(er) on!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet
    I just bought gas for $1.91 9/10. Anybody else see the price coming down?[/QUOTE]

8-15-2005
    Coming down? I just paid $2.45 per gal. and saw on tv that in Calif it just surpassed 3.00 bills. Man I remember when I was seventeen and I could get
    3 gals for $.75 and go for ever in my Corvair.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today: I heard the worst fear of all. The legislatures will see the taxes from increased gasoline prices as a windfall. See high tax collections in the last quarter and think this is spending spree time at the spring legislative session. Will have a pork list never before seen.:idea:

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    just paid 2.85 in Palm Springs yesterday (12 cents higher than closer to home but couldn't make it home on an empty tank :shiner: )
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Came to work monday morning gas was 2.38, I had a half a tank and thought I'd stop after work to fill up, because gas goes up mid week.Of course it jumped to $2.69 by the time I got off work! I just love the way the press tries to make us feel beter by telling us that "In England they are paying upwards of $6.00 a gallon!". Like any of us give a crap what they are paying. I'm in the process of buying a goat and a pull cart. If any one knows of a good one.....:bbg:
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Just saw this on the Today Show ~ you can look up to see the cheapest prices in your area ...

www.gasbuddy.com

www.gaspricewatch.com

Karen

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Guatemala we pay $3.00 plus a gallon.

It is time to stop buying gasoline for about a month so the supply will go up. Then maybe the price will go down.

Those Arabs are getting richer along with our President's family. They are in the the oil business you know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    Came to work monday morning gas was 2.38, I had a half a tank and thought I'd stop after work to fill up, because gas goes up mid week.Of course it jumped to $2.69 by the time I got off work! I just love the way the press tries to make us feel beter by telling us that "In England they are paying upwards of $6.00 a gallon!". Like any of us give a crap what they are paying. I'm in the process of buying a goat and a pull cart. If any one knows of a good one.....:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    In Guatemala we pay $3.00 plus a gallon.

It is time to stop buying gasoline for about a month so the supply will go up. Then maybe the price will go down.

Those Arabs are getting richer along with our President's family. They are in the the oil business you know!!!
    Thats not a bad idea, dont buy gas for a month and then I'll loose my job(because I cant get to work) then the car and the the house which is heated by gas. I'm going to stick with the goat!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gas just went to $1.03 per litre in Edmonton. With the exchange rate and conversion to USD, I am paying the equivilent of $3.22 per gallon!!!

And this is in Alberta, the oil capital of Canada...

Keep in mind, 40% of the price at the pump is tax...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ziggy:

Look aT IT THIS WAY. hOW MORE MONEY WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO PUT IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT?? Ask your President Bush how large his savings account is?!!!

Back in the 70's I recall their was a shortage of supply. The price went up. We then went to car pooling. Depending on your aGE YOU MAY OR MAY NOT REMEMBER them days. America is just plain LAZY. People are overweight!! Health is not what it used to be. Many things are just way out of balance. I bet your check does not keep up with inflation. Maybe if you gave up a lot of those so caLLED LUXURIES YOU WOULD NOT NEED SO MUCH.

Thats not a bad idea, dont buy gas for a month and then I'll loose my job(because I cant get to work) then the car and the the house which is heated by gas. I'm going to stick with the goat!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35, My first reaction to your post was to tell you to kiss my ***. But then I thought better of it. I do have a lot of luxuries, food, a clean home, medical care, education for my kids etc. No we dont live in squaler because gas prices is up, but it does affect how I live my life,,,and I dont like it. If that makes me lazy,,well then you CAN kiss my ***.:o

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Ziggy but my response was directed to a group of people not you personally. No I will not kiss your ***!!! Most people in the United States are lazy and would rather ***** their life away and complain. It is just as easy to think postive as it is negative but most people are negative. That is why 98% of people do not succeed in life.

Everyone can save money but they need to do it collectively to make a difference. Just like the woman that camped out at Bush's ranch in Texas. She is making a difference!!! She has made the ultimate sacrifice!! She lost a son to Iraq!! Whoever voted that guy in it was a vote for big business and higher gasoline prices!!!

It is high time the American people get off their *** and start doing something to improve their lives!!!!!!!!!

35, My first reaction to your post was to tell you to kiss my ***. But then I thought better of it. I do have a lot of luxuries, food, a clean home, medical care, education for my kids etc. No we dont live in squaler because gas prices is up, but it does affect how I live my life,,,and I dont like it. If that makes me lazy,,well then you CAN kiss my ***.:o

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

$3.22......almost as much as it is in Nantucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    Gas just went to $1.03 per litre in Edmonton. With the exchange rate and conversion to USD, I am paying the equivilent of $3.22 per gallon!!!

And this is in Alberta, the oil capital of Canada...

Keep in mind, 40% of the price at the pump is tax...
    Yesterday Nantucket checked in at 3.25 which was (as of yesterday) the highest in the US. I harken back to a post I made some time back asking the question "What is it about the statement ' It's ALL about oil!" that you don't understand.?" I remember a few of our brethren and sistren took issue with that.They are conspicuous by their silence today.

The arabs are happy, the "oilmen" are happy, the oil companies are happy, the stockholders are happy and finally the politicians are happy.Aren't we about the greatest good for the greatest number?? ;)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information