Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite short corridor progressive lens design?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is your favorite short corridor progressive lens design?

Rodenstock XS!!! ROCKS!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Piccolo!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    piccolo

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Shamir Picollo. Excellent lens and wide product availability.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ellipse.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say go picollo! I have been raving for ages about shamir and am happy to see so many others whom love there product. Loyalty feelings aside, shamir produces great lenses and the picollo just falls under the great catagory.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Piccolo

Hands Down.

If you would like to see the real picture of how much unwanted/excessive cylinder is in the margins, place a mm ruler accross the PRP (Prism Reference Point, the dot 2 - 4mm below the fitting cross) on the contour plot.

When you hold the ruler across, look at the colors/dioptric values of how much unwanted cyl was induced by shortening the zone.

If there is more than 0.50 D, (usually in light blue), it will give you an accurate idea of how much distortion the patient will experience in their distance view.

: )

Laurie

1. Ellipse

2. Ellipse

3. Ellipse

4. AO Compact

5. Ellipse

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ellispe

Have had no problems with it, and if anything, people have been really, really happy with the elevated reading.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    ellipse
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

IMAGE by Younger Optics

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Image as a short corridor? I thought the Min Fitting height was 18.
    I have tried the Hoya CD a few times at 15, so far so good.
    I have had a few more non adapts with AO Compact, but only a handful.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Should Be Ashamed......................

There should be no short corridor lens of any name, make, brand or other reason. It defies the purpose of a progressive lens and is made for pure maketing reasons to sell small frames which have not enough width to even read one colomn in a newspaper while looking at the ceiling and trying to catch the script through the last 2mm from the edge of the lens.

All them companies that make them should be ashamed and they are but love to take your money.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris - You are joking, right?

Chris -

With all due respect, young, emerging Presbyopes, who still have a fair amount of amplitude of accommodation, do very well with short corridor PALs.

To say that they are just about marketing is just being stubborn.

I am all for the education passed through the ranks, however, making blanket statements like that w/o any science to back it up just sounds like old school, not willing to try new technologies/concepts. Although I have not had the years in our profession that you have, I can say that (although I began in 1979), I am still open to new technologies and concepts. And, I am formulating my opinions through optical science documentation, not marketing departments.

The proof is in the pudding...many happy wearers, who, inspite of what is considered "perfect", enjoy a hip, (geek-chic) design (read: small B dimension frame). They are quite comfortable with a smaller than average intermediate to complete their every day visual tasks. When they need more than average Intermediate viewing, they purchase a second (or third) pair, like an occupational Office Lens.

What in the world is wrong with that?

Laurie "I cannot rest until everyone has four pair" Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    There should be no short corridor lens of any name, make, brand or other reason. It defies the purpose of a progressive lens and is made for pure maketing reasons to sell small frames which have not enough width to even read one colomn in a newspaper while looking at the ceiling and trying to catch the script through the last 2mm from the edge of the lens.

All them companies that make them should be ashamed and they are but love to take your money.

So does everyone need a 60 eye size frame with a 26 mm seg wearing Adapters? Good luck selling glasses if this is your mind set. Embrace technology. You are using a computer, isn't this just a typewriter with pure marketing reasons? Why not type a letter, put a stamp on it, and wait instead of email?
    Technology:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ultex A's and Executives for everybody!!! How dare we sell this garbage marketing hype. I am sure your patients would be much happier with the above two options! ;^)

By the way....Piccolo without a doubt!
    Tie for distant second:
    Ellipse
    Summit CD
    Rodenstock XS(Whats up with Rodenstock anyway? I have stopped selling this product)

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ellipse. Not because of its great intermediate vision, but because it's invisible and fits in a modern-looking frame.

I would love to see a Shmir rep. I stopped at the booth at VEE, they took my info, but I haven't heard from them since.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation

Put Stamps On Your Letter......................

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    So does everyone need a 60 eye size frame with a 26 mm seg wearing Adapters? Good luck selling glasses if this is your mind set. Embrace technology. You are using a computer, isn't this just a typewriter with pure marketing reasons? Why not type a letter, put a stamp on it, and wait instead of email?
    Let's be frank, you as retailers are supposed to give your customers/patients maximum reading comfort.

You are NOT giving it to them if you sell them a small lens and let them look close with a reading area that is 4-6mm high.

When selling a progressive lens and you give them proper frames for that purpose there is no problem. On the other hand you knowingly let them have a progressive because they insist in having a very small frame you are not doing your job and give them maximum vision. The you should go back to school and learn about it.

Technology is only good if you understand it, and if not, you will have to put stamps on your letters as you say.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's be frank, you as retailers are supposed to give your customers/patients maximum reading comfort.

You are NOT giving it to them if you sell them a small lens and let them look close with a reading area that is 4-6mm high.

When selling a progressive lens and you give them proper frames for that purpose there is no problem. On the other hand you knowingly let them have a progressive because they insist in having a very small frame you are not doing your job and give them maximum vision. The you should go back to school and learn about it.

Technology is only good if you understand it, and if not, you will have to put stamps on your letters as you say.
    What do you say to patiens who prefer good cosmetics to maximum reading comfort?
    It's their choice, let them make it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    What do you say to patiens who prefer good cosmetics to maximum reading comfort?

Rick
    Excellent point!!!

You are supposed to give your patients 'maximum reading comfort'. If this is the case, then why sell no lines? Wouldn't an executive trifocal be 'maximum comfort'? In a short corridor no line, not everyone does computer work. A lot of my patients like the short corridors because they do more reading than intermediate, so this works great. I think it is a shame for some to ignore technology and not give their patient 'maximum options' and let the patient decide, instead of 'Sir, you have to pick out a frame with a 45 B measurment, this way you have maximum comfort.' A patient should pick one or two frames, then sit down and discuss lens designs and options with those frames. LET THE PATIENT DECIDE.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ft28!

Occupation

Customer wants it.................

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Rick
    Rick,......You just said it the right way. The patient wants it and I agree it is his choice to spend the money.

However you as the opticians should tell him that he will not get the 100% he should have and that this is a cosmetic and not a optically perfect solution.

Knowing that your customer might just come back and buy an extra pair with some Straight Tops, single vision or half eye's for work and serious reading.

I have a couple of friends who actually did that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    Ft28!
    How about:

ST 35, got a heck of a good working area

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Cantankerous Chris does do us a favor in reminding us of the compromises we make when going to progressives in general, or short-corridors, in specific.

It is pretty easy to get carried away in the flow of the progressive revolution and forget that these lenses are compromises (like any lens). It's a good idea to keep this in the forefront of our minds, and probably our patient's minds, in order to prevent unrealistic expectations on either parties' parts.

Having said that, nobody under 60 wants a segmented multifocal, nowadays, and that age will continue to increase every year. The stigma associated with a segmented multifocal is significant.

And, as Chris infers, we must get used to the concept of "general purpose" eyewear and "task specific" eyewear. We have to embrace that and hammer it home to our patients.

Thread Information