Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed_Optician's Challenge...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Ed_Optician's Challenge...

Ed_Optician has challenged us OptiBoarders to advance ourselves one certification over the next year. Snitgirl accepted that challenge and so have I. How about the rest of you? :idea:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Educational Opportunity

I am thrilled to see this! I also want to know who would be interested in advancing themselves educationally, either in an online program or other distance delivery format. I have some online courses we are developing at the university that will allow you to complete a Certificate in Ophthalmic Science, and I am also working as a consultant to the NAIT program that is print delivery and excellent. If interestd, simply respond and I'll get back to you.

Warren

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thats an awsome idea! I just took the ABO and NCLE. This august I go for the CPO.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I currently took The ABO Advanced test and would be willing to go for another certificaion. I have written my Masters paper and will not consider that. I am going to try and get the NCLE Advanced this fall and hope to get the COA and work up the ladder on those certifications. This is a great Idea, I applaud you for challenging our proffesion to a higher standard.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Real education is te key to success....

Again, I am thrilled to see this. But keep in mind something for the future. All this excitement is laudable, but all these alphabet soup certifications, particularly those that make you an assistant in a doctors office (COA, CPO, etc that have NOTHING to do with Opticians!), are not going to advance Opticians one iota. They have and always will the wrong direction to take for the profession. Those who are in the field need to look to the future Optician. How will they be educated and trained? Where do we go from here? An assistant in a doctors office typically receives horrible compensation and if that is your goal go for it, but to really advance Opticianry as a profession encourage those around you to get an education. Make them show that they can accomplish something in a recognized academic institution rather than these types of certifications that mean little to anyone outside the field. Anyone knows what a degree is, but few know anything about ABOC. I see countless speakers with such a long string of initials behind their name it is just silly. Most of those have no real academic education and are justifiably proud of their significant accomplishments, but for the profession of Opticianry to advance a real education is our path to success. Let me give you an example. OAA some time back passed a resolution that indicated that Opticians should have an Associate Degree prior to entering the profession, which is a minimal academic requirement. In response, some folks decided they would do the advanced certification exams in lieu of an educational requirement so it would be "fair " for all. That was not the path needed to advance us in the future, only a fund raiser for the certifiying organizations. I encourage you to suggest to your state organizations and/or licensing boards that they implement educational standards for the future. Many will assume from my comments that I am against certification. In fact that is far from the truth. I only suggest that for Opticians to advance we must gain a credible educational standard that is the same across the nation. Only then will we get to where we want to go. Again, those who wish to achieve personal certification goals, it is a great accomplishment, but for the profession's sake, we need to achieve more. No one will be required to return to college; only require the future Optician to be better educated and trained that we are.

Occupation
    wow wmcdonald you certainly had quite a bit to say. I think you are some what right but what I think Harry and I are talking about is learning as much about the eye care field as possable including assiting O.D.'s and M.D.'s. In many states there is not schooling for opticianry. This is the next best thing. All we have in Illinois are books and certifications in which it is up to the individual to learn. I could hem and haw all day to my local organizations about providing schools or other educational programs but until then i will rely on the programs set up by other eye care organizations. The point is that I want to learn all I can and not limit myself to just being an optician. I would like to know that there are options out there for me (though I have heard that CPO's do get paid crap).

Occupation
    Hey Harry how was the Advanced ABO test. What things were covered?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    I am thrilled to see this! I also want to know who would be interested in advancing themselves educationally, either in an online program or other distance delivery format. I have some online courses we are developing at the university that will allow you to complete a Certificate in Ophthalmic Science, and I am also working as a consultant to the NAIT program that is print delivery and excellent. If interestd, simply respond and I'll get back to you.

Warren
    I am totally interested in advancing my education via online, especially when i don't have time to attend a classroom.

Warren, perfect timing on your post...I was just looking for "online" Optical schools for Canadian certification since I am thinking of immigrating. I just e mailed someone at one of the B.C. schools who said that having ABO & NCLE certificates + 20 years experience = NADA (nothing) to Canada..lol Maybe you might know of some online schools or programs for Canada?

I see there is BC College of Optics which has a six month program (cost over $7k) but not via online. DARN! If that was online, I would be running to get out my credit card...

What Program at NAIT?

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am interested!! Thanks in advance for any information.

Steph

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Multiple Schools

offer programs online. Look at the NAtional Ferderation of Opticianry Schools (www.nfos.org) online programs. There are several and particularly Hillsborough Community College is doing quite well. In Canada, and soon in the United States, the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology will be bringing their exciting distance learning program to the US. It is broken down into several modules, The first is a basic dispensing course tied to apprenticeship, Upon completion, students receive a diploma (equivalent to our associate degree). They also offer advanced practice modlues in Contact Lenses, and Sight TEsting, both tied as well to apprenticeship. This program is great. Email me and I'll forward information to you.

Good luck, and I appreciate your interest.

Occupation
    I spoke with almost all of the NFO schools for distance learning and they all require that you be at least in driving distance. So no luck for us out of state.
    But if what you say about the NAIT is true and will allow the courses to be completed on line that is awsome!! Do you know when this is going to happen?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Judy, I will receive my MBA in June and start woring on my MSN, does this count??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :bbg: Yeah! I'd say that counts...:bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Forgot to say, I'm going after my ABOC/NCLE the next time it's offered. I've been in or around this business since 1969 and it's about time. :)

Occupation
    I think the challenge should be "reworded" to include joining one's state society. :cheers:

Karen

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm planning on taking the Advanced ABO in Novemeber in Chicago and am taking the prep class at Vision Expo that the NAO is holding. It's a start:bbg:

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I with queenie on this last point, but lets not forget the OAA & NOA. I think I'll go after the advance cert. this year, how hard is it?
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dr Mac

Count me in. Send me what ever info you have on the program.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Info

I have to this point received about 12 emails/private messages, which is encouraging. I am by way of this post asking program director Ian McIver to post information on the program and I will see to it tht you receive an answer to any and all questions.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    I have to this point received about 12 emails/private messages, which is encouraging. I am by way of this post asking program director Ian McIver to post information on the program and I will see to it tht you receive an answer to any and all questions.
    Thanks!

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    I think the challenge should be "reworded" to include joining one's state society. :cheers:

Karen

Just rec'd my membership certificate in the mail from the NAO !!! :D Now, off to join a state association.:cheers: thanks!

Occupation
    College is the same thing as all those initials after your name, just more widely accepted. You are paying for education, it is a business. They don't care if you retain the information or you forget it, just pass the tests. I want to know everything about the optical field, not just opticianry. I have found that alot of the older opticians keep preaching this get an education and we need to talk to the state organizations. I don't see the state organizations doing anything about it matter of fact if you want them to hang up on you call the maryland opticians association and start telling them how we need education, but if you call about paying your dues you get a tottaly different attitude. So in the mean time I will continue to advance my knowledge every way possible in every possible optical area not just opticianry. Not too long ago the carrer progression program offered through the NAO was worth 30 credits to most colleges, it still is if you call and keep insisting on it. So is the ABO and the NCLE just mention it and ask about work experience counting for credits. School is a business and lately it is a really expensive business.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what are all the things that can be considered certification?

I can think of 13 so far:

Degree in Opticianry
    Degree in Optometric Management Tech
    ABO
    ABOA
    ABO Master
    NCLE
    NCLEA
    CPO (regular, assistant, and tech - I forget the different letter designations)
    The three tech certificates HCC offers

Beyond that there are the different organizations:
    State Board (In my case POF)
    NAO
    OAA

What else is there after this? I've attained, or am close to finishing everything on this list, but I'm 24, and don't want my mind to just sit stagnant. How can I keep challengine myself? The one thing I regret is that I am not in a position to move, so if I opt for another degree/certification, it'd have to be of the variety I could take from home.

Thanks
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Membership in the state and national organizations are certification of nothing more than paying your dues. A degree is far more than certification (at least at this level), and speaks to your ability to achieve a significant educational accomplishment. The ABO/NCLE certifies your competence through a process of testing. There are some others, such as the Contact Lens Society of America Fellowship, which may be considered a "certification" by an outside body of your competence. It requires NCLE-AC as a part of the process.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by William Walker
    What else is there after this? I've attained, or am close to finishing everything on this list, but I'm 24, and don't want my mind to just sit stagnant. How can I keep challengine myself? The one thing I regret is that I am not in a position to move, so if I opt for another degree/certification, it'd have to be of the variety I could take from home.
    Thanks
    William ~ You've attained all that and you're "only" 24 ? :cheers: Way to go !!

The way to challenge yourself is to never give up ... always look to classes at Vision Expo & National events. This industry is always changing with new products and technologies.

Congratulations on all that you have accomplished so far .. :D

Karen

Thread Information