Thread: Terminology

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Blue Jumper Terminology

Hi hope you can help a confused Brit.
    I would like to know how your categories of optical personnel differ to ours in description.
    We have Glazers / lab techs who make and assemble the spectacles/ some surface lens others just cut edge and fit lenses.
    Dispensing assistants. Unqualified, but able to dispense spectacles to all except under 16 yr old children.
    Dispensing optician. Qualified. Dispense all.
    Contact lens fitter. Fits contact lenses, but does not test the eyes. Needs to be qualified dispensing optician.
    Optician/Optometrist. gives full eye examinations.
    Sorry if it seems a daft question, but i'm hoping to relocate to the Houston area in the next year or so and want to ensure I apply for the correct position if I can't open my own business.
    I currently own and run my own rimless glazing company and will be seeking to do similar in the US if there would be a demand for such a service. If not and if anybody could use a experienced glazer (20 yrs) please feel free to e:mail me.
    Thanks in advance for any replys
    Steve
    :bbg: (Manchester, England)
    SABOWN:cheers:

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sabown,
    I'll do what I can to help. Some in the USA have different names for some of these personnel descriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SABOWN
    Hi hope you can help a confused Brit.
    I would like to know how your categories of optical personnel differ to ours in description.
    We have Glazers / lab techs who make and assemble the spectacles/ some surface lens others just cut edge and fit lenses.
    Those who assemble, edge, and verify, etc... would be called Finishers, however, more times than not, in my experience, they're referred to as "those who work in the finish lab and, to some old timers, the 'Bench'.
    Those who suface the lenses are Surfacers.
    Dispensing assistants. Unqualified, but able to dispense spectacles to all except under 16 yr old children.
    Dispensing optician. Qualified. Dispense all.
    I don't know about the licensed states but the non-licensed states, including Texas, have no Dispensing Assistants. Those who dispense are Dispensing Opticians.
    Contact lens fitter. Fits contact lenses, but does not test the eyes. Needs to be qualified dispensing optician.
    We use the same terms.
    Optician/Optometrist. gives full eye examinations.
    In the USA Opticians do not refract or give eye examinations. That is left to the Ophthalmologists and their technicians and optometrists.

You should have no problems getting work in Houston.

Don

Thread Information