Thread: Chain selling lenses wholesale

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chain selling lenses wholesale

(UK based)
    Just receieved a priced list from a lens supplier who has been around for a few years here in the UK and after noticing some product names and HO address alarm bells rang.
    It seems after a call to them they are at least part owned by one of the largest chains over here.
    I thought it was a bit cheeky that they have a massive percentage of the retail market share and they are selling lenses to independents under a different banner.
    What do people think about this?

Rick

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    (UK based)
    Just receieved a priced list from a lens supplier who has been around for a few years here in the UK and after noticing some product names and HO address alarm bells rang.
    It seems after a call to them they are at least part owned by one of the largest chains over here.
    I thought it was a bit cheeky that they have a massive percentage of the retail market share and they are selling lenses to independents under a different banner.
    What do people think about this?

Rick
    Hi Rick,

A few of us on here have ranted for awhile now about buying product from companies that are your competitors. Since this company is both retail and wholesale it stands to reason that the retail companies (or wholesale companies for that matter) who purchase from them are financing their competitor. I will give you one better on this....I am sure that this company you mention tracks what product and quantities are being purchased by both their retail optical accounts and wholesale accounts. With this information they can plan which areas to open more shops or which areas to target for more wholesale business.

Doc

Bad address email on file
    I agree with it being too cheeky for my liking. I'd like to pinch their cheeks.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    I agree with it being too cheeky for my liking. I'd like to pinch their cheeks.
    Im just interested to see how many of my contacts still choose to order lenses from them as it becomes common knowledge.
    I have a customer who won't buy my bifocals because they are 40p/pair more expensive then a competitor of mine who have a chain of stores, one even in his own town.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Im just interested to see how many of my contacts still choose to order lenses from them as it becomes common knowledge.
    I have a customer who won't buy my bifocals because they are 40p/pair more expensive then a competitor of mine who have a chain of stores, one even in his own town.

Rick
    Don't mistake resentment for foolishness. Your customers will still buy from your competitor, even if they resent doing so.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    which company are you reffering to ?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by roopesh
    which company are you reffering to ?
    It would seem that Lens Online is at least partly owned by Specsavers.

Thread Information