Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Four year degree program

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    They took their courses in a community college
    Then you're comparing your ABDO optician to an AAS optician (assuming they completed an actual ophthalmic science program) who attended college for at least two years, not simply an "ABO" optician.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No Course Requirement

ABO/NCLE has no course requirements. It is a certification body. The requirements to sit for the exam are stiff....... 1 year of work experience and a pulse. It is not a planned program of study. It is a sign of poor preperation for Opticians across the country that only 60-65% pass these VRERY basic, entry-level exams. The British courses you wish to take will prepare you well to sit for the exam, and any other you want to take. It will not relieve you of the need to sit for the ABO and/or NCLE, which are the standard in this country. Do not think the British courses are going to be easy. If not prepared you will find yourself in difficult waters.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ABO/NCLE has no course requirements. It is a certification body. The requirements to sit for the exam are stiff....... 1 year of work experience and a pulse. It is not a planned program of study. It is a sign of poor preperation for Opticians across the country that only 60-65% pass these VRERY basic, entry-level exams. The British courses you wish to take will prepare you well to sit for the exam, and any other you want to take. It will not relieve you of the need to sit for the ABO and/or NCLE, which are the standard in this country. Do not think the British courses are going to be easy. If not prepared you will find yourself in difficult waters.
    You forgot that you will need a #2 pencil as well:) .

Yeah they seem pretty darn hard but I still want to try. I think that the combo of the ABDO courses as well as an ABOM might do me well in the future.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn
    I think that the combo of the ABDO courses as well as an ABOM might do me well in the future
    It should be relatively easy to obtain your ABOM once you have completed the ABDO's program, which is considerably more intense than either the ABO or the ABO-AC. But keep in mind that, for reasons I have yet to comprehend, the new ABO-AC exam includes questions on business management.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am terrified to take the ABO-AC so if the ABDO courses help that will be great. I hope that with structured learning it might be a little easier to understand some of the stuff as opposed to just cracking a random book.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    Then you're comparing your ABDO optician to an AAS optician (assuming they completed an actual ophthalmic science program) who attended college for at least two years, not simply an "ABO" optician.
    You may be correct,they are from college.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you do the coursework, you should have no problems with the optics and dispensing portions of the ABO-AC exam (well, you may have to "translate" some of the terminology; Brits often use "substance" instead of "thickness," for instance).
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information