Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Four year degree program

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate
    Harry I have not meant to "watered-down" the course. Fact is anywhere you go with ABDO qualification you gain immediate respected recognition though I am not sure about Canada recognizing ABDO graduates.
    What I mean is I find ABO/NCLE graduates better in practical practise.

Try visiting any UK optical discussion forums and compare it with our mostly North American Optiboard discussion forums and decide yourself where is the cream.
    In order to pass the course you need to demonstrate what you have learned to a designated practice supervisor. And must work at least 30 hours a week in this field. I just hope that the combination of practical experience and theoretical knowledge will be a good combination. Plus I hope that this course will help me get the ABOM and NCLE-AC.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Try visiting any UK optical discussion forums and compare it with our mostly North American Optiboard discussion forums and decide yourself where is the cream.
    graduate there are only around 6000 registered dispensing opticians in the UK
    pop. 55 million, therefore there just are not enough people to get a decent forum. ABDO have their own forum but you have to be a member to post.
    this is why i come to optiboard there are so many different points of view and a variety of diverse subjects.
    judging the quality of opticians by what is posted is akin to judging the average american by the people who appear on jerry springer (not that i do as i have visited the USA many times and know better.):)
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    In order to pass the course you need to demonstrate what you have learned to a designated practice supervisor. And must work at least 30 hours a week in this field. I just hope that the combination of practical experience and theoretical knowledge will be a good combination. Plus I hope that this course will help me get the ABOM and NCLE-AC.
    well at the worst donn if you become an abdo graduate you could certainly get a job in merrie old England !!:bbg:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That said, many opticianry programs in Europe, including the programs in the UK and Germany, are top-notch. I have seen much of the coursework from the ABDO's program (after helping a fellow OptiBoarder with her courses), and it is extremely comprehensive and well beyond any program you are likely to see in the US short of an optometry or 4-year ophthalmic technology degree.[/QUOTE]

Darryl, I don’t think it is proper to compare ABDO dispensing training with optometry or ophthalmic technology degree training. It is like comparing land to sky.;)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    graduate there are only around 6000 registered dispensing opticians in the UK
    pop. 55 million, therefore there just are not enough people to get a decent forum. ABDO have their own forum but you have to be a member to post.
    this is why i come to optiboard there are so many different points of view and a variety of diverse subjects.
    judging the quality of opticians by what is posted is akin to judging the average american by the people who appear on jerry springer (not that i do as i have visited the USA many times and know better.):)
    Robert check again if it is 600 registered DO's or 6000?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don’t think it is proper to compare ABDO dispensing training with optometry or ophthalmic technology degree training. It is like comparing land to sky.
    I'm not; I'm comparing it to anything short of a 4-year degree program. And the ABDO program covers a great deal more than dispensing, as does Germany's opticianry colleges.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    well at the worst donn if you become an abdo graduate you could certainly get a job in merrie old England !!:bbg:
    Sorry but I think you are conveying wrong information. ABDO overseas course graduates are not recognized for registration to practice in UK. They have to undergo more training in UK and sit examinations there for registration to dispense.

You may please call GOC deputy registrar to confirm.
    Last edited by Graduate; 10-06-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: underline "overseas"

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If you are outside the UK or Ireland then you dont have to attend the block release part of the course,everything can be done at home.
    You may have to attend for 2x2 final theoretical (Ophthalmic lenses & Optics, Anatomy & Visual Optics) and 4 sections practical exams. Sounds impressive? ABDO examiners love to travel around the world at the expense of student and may agree to come to USA to invigilate if well paid. Check it out before enrolling into course.

Occupation
    I spoke with the ABDO and have recieved confirmation that I will not have to travel. It will all be done through internet and mail. And don't worry I won't be working in England, I think IKON was just being friendly!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I spoke with the ABDO and have recieved confirmation that I will not have to travel. It will all be done through internet and mail. And don't worry I won't be working in England, I think IKON was just being friendly!
    Do you mean theoretical & practical through internet & mail without invigilation?
    This does not sound to me ABDO

Some one said in one of thread half information can be as misleading as no information.That is why I am just trying to put proper information.I know you won't be registered in UK with your overseas ABDO qualification BTW.
    Last edited by Graduate; 10-06-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Occupation
    Here is what Tracy Maidment, Course Administrator from ABDO told me:

"The course for overseas students is purely by distance learning. You will recieve paper or CD based coursework and will need to submit assignments to a named tutor on a weekly basis. There will be no need for you to attend the college at any time during your study. Examinations can be arranged at a local venue too.

We need you to be working a min. of 30 hours per week in optics and you must have a designated practice supervisor. This is to ensure that the practical side of your knowledge is being developed alongside the theoretical knowledge you will be gaining from the coursework."

Occupation
    I really don't care if I am registered in any country...I just want to learn.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    OPTIDONN
    We need you to be working a min. of 30 hours per week in optics and you must have a designated practice supervisor. This is to ensure that the practical side of your knowledge is being developed alongside the theoretical knowledge you will be gaining from the coursework."[/QUOTE]

FYI your supervisor must be Fellow of the Asociation of British Dispensing Opticians and registered with the GOC.
    But they may have made changes from what I learn from your post.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I really don't care if I am registered in any country...I just want to learn.
    I love that spirit, keep it up:cheers:

Occupation
    OPTIDONN
    We need you to be working a min. of 30 hours per week in optics and you must have a designated practice supervisor. This is to ensure that the practical side of your knowledge is being developed alongside the theoretical knowledge you will be gaining from the coursework."
    FYI your supervisor must be Fellow of the Asociation of British Dispensing Opticians and registered with the GOC.
    But they may have made changes from what I learn from your post.[/QUOTE]

They may have. I really have not seen anything that would require a person to travel here. I didn't see anything on the ABDO site but I should ask to make sure. It does sound a little too good to be true. Are you a graduate from there?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    They may have. I really have not seen anything that would require a person to travel here. I didn't see anything on the ABDO site but I should ask to make sure. It does sound a little too good to be true. Are you a graduate from there?[/QUOTE]

I am currently COMT but have been optician in past, I was involved in process of hiring opticians for my employers.Hired one FBDO from Trinidad & two ABOC.
    ABOC opticians are outstanding in their optical knowledge & practice.I am thinking of firing FBDO back to his country.
    Last edited by Graduate; 10-06-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Occupation
    They have an Honors course in Ophthalmic lenses. If I pass I would love to take it! And if the ABDO classes work out I think it would be a great companion to the ABO/ABOM. It could be something that US opticians who have decided to make this a career would really benefit from.

They may have. I really have not seen anything that would require a person to travel here. I didn't see anything on the ABDO site but I should ask to make sure. It does sound a little too good to be true. Are you a graduate from there?
    I am COMT but was in process of hiring opticians for my employers.Hired one FBDO from Trinidad & two ABOC.
    ABOC opticians are outstanding in their optical knowledge & practice.I am thinking of firing FBDO back to his country.[/QUOTE]whats the opticians first name from Trinidad? I know someone from there.

From the REAL Rim Ranger: I never said the above. Someone is impersonating me.
    Last edited by Rim Ranger; 10-07-2005 at 07:56 AM.
    "I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think." -Socrates

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rim Ranger
    I am COMT but was in process of hiring opticians for my employers.Hired one FBDO from Trinidad & two ABOC.
    ABOC opticians are outstanding in their optical knowledge & practice.I am thinking of firing FBDO back to his country.
    whats the opticians first name from Trinidad? I know someone from there.[/QUOTE]

Administrator, how come quote that is of OPTIDONN appears with my name? Please verify if possible.

Rim his name is Mr.XYZ:D

Occupation
    Sorry but I think you are conveying wrong information. ABDO overseas course graduates are not recognized for registration to practice in UK. They have to undergo more training in UK and sit examinations there for registration to dispense.

You may please call GOC deputy registrar to confirm.
    firstly, as optidonn says i was not seriously suggesting he work in England, however below is an excerpt from the GOC website.

Dispensing Opticians qualified outside the European Economic Area

A person who is qualified as a dispensing optician outside the European Economic Area and who wishes to register to practise in the UK, should contact the Association of British Dispensing Opticians for information on how he/she may enter the Professional Qualifying Examination.

Success in the Examination will enable registration to practise in the UK.

Once qualified, a person may practise as a dispensing optician, but only when he/she has registered with the GOC. Once on the register, he/she must renew his/her registration annually in order to maintain his/her license to practise.

as optidonn already would have passed the PQE from ABDO, on confirmation of this from ABDO he could register with the GOC and begin practice as a DO at once.
    ABDO do not have a different standard for their overseas students from their home based ones, and an overseas graduate is not made to take further exams.
    re your ABDO employee, all i will say is that to judge all members of a profession through your experience with one is a rather bizarre and absurd point of view

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    firstly, as optidonn says i was not seriously suggesting he work in England, however below is an excerpt from the GOC website.

Dispensing Opticians qualified outside the European Economic Area

A person who is qualified as a dispensing optician outside the European Economic Area and who wishes to register to practise in the UK, should contact the Association of British Dispensing Opticians for information on how he/she may enter the Professional Qualifying Examination.

Success in the Examination will enable registration to practise in the UK.

Once qualified, a person may practise as a dispensing optician, but only when he/she has registered with the GOC. Once on the register, he/she must renew his/her registration annually in order to maintain his/her license to practise.

as optidonn already would have passed the PQE from ABDO, on confirmation of this from ABDO he could register with the GOC and begin practice as a DO at once.
    ABDO do not have a different standard for their overseas students from their home based ones, and an overseas graduate is not made to take further exams.
    re your ABDO employee, all i will say is that to judge all members of a profession through your experience with one is a rather bizarre and absurd point of view

You have confirmed me correct.Thank you!

Occupation
    You have confirmed me correct.Thank you!
    graduate your point was that having ABDO membership would not allow an overseas graduate to practice in the uk.
    my reply stated that as long as the person concerned had passed the PQE then they could practice subject to registration with the GOC. All opticians in this country have to register with the GOC not just overseas opticians/optometrsts.
    any member of ABDO wether qualified here or overseas would be entitled to automatic registration without further examination.
    overseas graduates who are not abdo qualified may have to take further exams before they can be registered.
    so i think your original point was mistaken.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    graduate your point was that having ABDO membership would not allow an overseas graduate to practice in the uk.
    my reply stated that as long as the person concerned had passed the PQE then they could practice subject to registration with the GOC. All opticians in this country have to register with the GOC not just overseas opticians/optometrsts.
    any member of ABDO wether qualified here or overseas would be entitled to automatic registration without further examination.
    overseas graduates who are not abdo qualified may have to take further exams before they can be registered.
    so i think your original point was mistaken.
    Any one gaining FBDO qualification outside of United Kingdom are not automatically granted registration to practice dispensig in the United Kingdom.

An overseas qualified ABDO dispenser wishing to practise in UK has to further undergo one year pre registration training peroid in UK and pass GOC examinations before being granted registration to dispense.

But the course is recognised in many countries and it is a good course.
    Good luck with the course:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rim
    ABOC opticians are outstanding in their optical knowledge & practice.
    Again, the ABO doesn't train opticians. Nor is it a particularly difficult certification to obtain.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    Again, the ABO doesn't train opticians. Nor is it a particularly difficult certification to obtain.
    I know ABO is a certification body.They took their courses in a community college.

Thread Information