Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Four year degree program

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might be right! Then there would be no need for an optician. Just eliminate them. OD's only want to hire cheap help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    You're right, Old Guy. But isn't that what opticians want anyway, to refract?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    We cannot win in the legislature. We have no funds to fight and what do we argue? What is the plan? What do you want your organizations to do? Legislatuve folks will never support a profession with no educational requirements, and very little common ground. Do you want more contact lenses? Do you want to support refraction? Or do you just want a license to have one and elevate salaries? Licensure is a dead issue until we plan for the furute. Education must precede legislation, as Optometry has shown us.
    If education is to precede legislation, how do we get the necessary education to places where there isn't any schooling available? I know that there is a distance learning program offered at some schools, but this has its own issues. We need to get a program offered in some community colleges. There isn't any accessibility for education in unlicensed states. I really feel for people in those states that are talented and simply go unrecognized and unable to get an education that they want.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The reason Opticians fight is that they have little invested
    This is the reason for starting some kind of national fund to create the money to fight.

That's what OAM and OAA are trying to do
    The OAM is a joke. They are a dead organization as far as I know. They used to offer courses at the community college in baltimore and they still boast that as an accomplishment, but they have not held a class in 10 years or more.

The OAA sounds like a great organization and is, but in the past years they are only focused on the few states that have any licensure laws. They are not actively pursueing any legislation in the states that need them. The focus should be on federal laws, not state.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    This is the reason for starting some kind of national fund to create the money to fight.

The OAM is a joke. They are a dead organization as far as I know. They used to offer courses at the community college in baltimore and they still boast that as an accomplishment, but they have not held a class in 10 years or more.

The OAA sounds like a great organization and is, but in the past years they are only focused on the few states that have any licensure laws. They are not actively pursueing any legislation in the states that need them. The focus should be on federal laws, not state.
    Is the OAM "The Opticians Association of Massachusetts?" Didn't they just pass a law requiring fines for people whose license are either suspended, revoked and for unlicensed people?

Unfortunately, legislation is a state issue and not a federal one

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Education

How do you know about Distance Learning? Have you taken courses? Harvard, Stanford and many other outstanding universities teach through DL, but it must not be good enough for you. DL is a valid delivery system and can and will provide excellent opportunities for future Opticians. As to the need for additional schools and locations; there are 24 COA-accredited schools. ODs only have 17, and they are sending students to their schools from all over the country. We need to support existing NFOS schools by sending students to them. We have educational opportunities, but unfortunately many of thsoe we attract today are seeking a job, not a profession, and get by on the minimum. In many states our income is excellent for our academic preperation, and we constantly whine. Not many with high school educations make the kind of money Opticians make unless you want to do some of the building trades, etc. Education is our only path to an improved future. I have been in those legislatures, and seen how we are viewed, and it is not pretty. Form all the organizations you wish, but unless you have something solid to present, you will not be successful. Why do you think we have not licensed a new state for over 20 years? because we can do little harm to the public by helping select the blue or red frame and taking a PD. We must educate to a higher level and then legislate. It will be a slow process.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you know about Distance Learning? Have you taken courses? Harvard, Stanford and many other outstanding universities teach through DL, but it must not be good enough for you. DL is a valid delivery system and can and will provide excellent opportunities for future Opticians. As to the need for additional schools and locations; there are 24 COA-accredited schools. ODs only have 17, and they are sending students to their schools from all over the country. We need to support existing NFOS schools by sending students to them. We have educational opportunities, but unfortunately many of thsoe we attract today are seeking a job, not a profession, and get by on the minimum. In many states our income is excellent for our academic preperation, and we constantly whine. Not many with high school educations make the kind of money Opticians make unless you want to do some of the building trades, etc. Education is our only path to an improved future. I have been in those legislatures, and seen how we are viewed, and it is not pretty. Form all the organizations you wish, but unless you have something solid to present, you will not be successful. Why do you think we have not licensed a new state for over 20 years? because we can do little harm to the public by helping select the blue or red frame and taking a PD. We must educate to a higher level and then legislate. It will be a slow process.
    I would imagine labs would be difficult through a distance learning scenario. That is what I meant about "issues." I already have a degree in this field from Raritan Community College in NJ, a COA accredited school. I have a BS in Computer Science, minor in mathematics, from a really good school (Rutgers University in Piscataway/NB, NJ). I am eventually going to go for a Masters in Math. I know how important it is to have direct access to a teacher. This field is a hands on field. I think that DL is great for knowledge when it comes to learning things like theory, anatomy and terminology etc... A lot of the instruction from my teachers came in the form of constructive criticism of adjustments when doing my dispensing labs. I'm not suggesting, in any way shape or form, the eliminating of DL. I am suggesting that current 2-year schools in unlicensed states incorporate an ophthalmics program. I would like to see more accessibility to ophthalmic education. I would have never known about this (ophthalmics) program if it was a DL program. I have taken two DL courses offered at my school, one was a Psychology 101 class and the other was Intro to Small Business Management. I have taken the ABO/NCLE despite the fact that it isn't a requirement in NJ. I plan on taking the advanced exam real soon for both the ABO and NCLE. I'm doing everything I can to better myself. I started my own website to make opticians aware of educational, political and legislative issues in my state specifically (cause I live here, but am very interested in helping out other states as well). I would appreciate it if you held off on the sarcasm. I walk the walk!
    Last edited by Alvaro Cordova; 09-29-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Labs.....

can easily be handled through a variety of methods. It is easy to accomplish, and I have significant experience in the area. I do not mean to be sarcastic; it comes from my passion to move Opticianry forward, and saying the same old things for the last 25 years.....time after time....and continually having to defend something like the need for a basic education! I will stand by my thesis that Opticians can and should expand their scope of practice and to do so will require an education. DL can provide that for states in which schools are not in existance. I am pleased to hear you have a respectable background in education, but two courses are not sufficient to judge DL methodology. Many of the current schools have low enrollments, for a number of reasons, so attempting to develop new schools when we are not a capacity in existing programs is not feasible. Opticianry programs can be expensive to develop, and those with DL are faring far better than those who do not.

You indicate you are going to get a grad degree in Math; congratulations! I would encourage you to look at some of the Optical Science programs. The University of Arizona has one, and it is online. You will be amazed at what you can do in that program, and I hope you take a look at it.

Look, I am not attempting to disparage you personally. You sound like you are just as passionate as I am, so lets work together to get something done. I know of your Opticianry program; I was the chair of it's first accrediting team, and know it to be a good program. I think you will understand that Opticians need to be better prepared. That is my goal, and many others and it is at least getting better. 25 years ago everyone thought those who support expanding educational requirements was wrong. Today, my research indicates strong support for a more advanced educational system for Opticians. Please consider giving it your support as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Look, I am not attempting to disparage you personally. You sound like you are just as passionate as I am, so lets work together to get something done. I know of your Opticianry program; I was the chair of it's first accrediting team, and know it to be a good program. I think you will understand that Opticians need to be better prepared. That is my goal, and many others and it is at least getting better. 25 years ago everyone thought those who support expanding educational requirements was wrong. Today, my research indicates strong support for a more advanced educational system for Opticians. Please consider giving it your support as well.
    It's a deal. :)
    As soon as I find out I'm licensed ( I just took the exam this past Sept. 27th and 28th), I will be joining the OAA and my state org, OANJ.

On a related note, do DL-COA accredited schools offer any type of scholarships/reduced rates to students in other states to encourage enrollment? One of the bigger problems has to stem from the fact that many opticians in unlicensed states do not make a whole hell-uv-alot of money and therefore hardpressed to enroll into a program to its completion. It involves a commitment that may not be possible due to financial hardship. Some may have families to consider, sick relative etc...

I think you would be proud of the crop of students taking the state exam here in NJ.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Check the NFOS (www.nfos.org) website for the information on Leeward.
    :) :) What a great site!! Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those intersted in the link to what wmcdonald referred to at University of Arizona:

University of Arizona - Master of Science in Optical Sciences

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I just wish that there were more DL schools. I have been trying to get involved with one for a long time but so far no such luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The NFOS site has information (website links to the respective schools and numbers of people to contact). What trouble have you been having?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It is nice to know my colleagues are now getting serious about education.Keep up the spirit:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    The NFOS site has information (website links to the respective schools and numbers of people to contact). What trouble have you been having?
    I have called many of the schools. At this point they want you to show up for some hands on work. They are all way too far for me to drive. Some are however working on being able to 'proctor' out exams and have a trusted graduate opticain give the tests but as far as I know it has not been approved by any of the schools. I think that the DL courses were developed to reach opticians that could not other wise show up every day for courses but are close enough to demonstrate what they have learned. I mentioned in a previous post that I wish that there were at least a certificate course in OPHTHALMIC OPTICS. At least for this it could all be done via the internet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wmcdonald
    is correct. My argument is the we need education to advance, and research indicates the field is ready for it. If we cannot get together we may as well disband completely and forget about it. I am not arguing with you, just stating my opinion. I want Opticians to move ahead, and you appear to have given up. I am deeply sorry for you, and wish the best, but I will continue to fight to upgrade my profession as long as I can. It gets tough, but every now and then I get an email from someone who says thanks. That makes it worth the effort. So, I may be living in a fantsy world, but I often look back on some of the fathers of early Optometry. I am modeling my plan after their efforts. Do you have a plan, or are you only able to post negative comments about others. Do something proactie for a change if you can![/QUOTE]

WOW the venom in your statements has me awe-struck! I never gave up I was only giving you a history lesson one in which you sorely need. As you said I m not arguing with you just giving you my opinion! Well I gave mine! Do something proactie ( I think you meant proactive ) what do you want us to do in our PROACTIVE stance? You mouth a lot rhetoric but I have seen no concrete plans for anything except for pie in the sky and the great bye and bye. Concrete plans would be to start an organization from the ground floor and then establish rules and regulations that all can agree too and the states will ratify. Without the states ratifing your going nowhere. What has to be done is going from state to state getting ratification then going on to the next state until all fifty are in agreement. There are some ideas. What you call negative I call constructive criticism, how do grow and go on unless you see the flaws that are in your case? Again just my opinion!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, I think that opticianry could use a boost of optimism. I don't believe it is all or nothing. I forget who said it, but we are a "tipping point society." It may seem that at first our efforts are for nothing, but we are very close to a renaissance. There are states doing OK too. As wmcdonald said, we need people to get educated. We need to ask why is there so little enrollment in COA schools and more importantly what can we do about it? I tell everyone I know about the field and how I get educated, so word of mouth is one way to get the field going, but obviously not enough. I say we start attacking this problem now, collectively. What do we know(ie studies etc...)? What needs to get done? Opticianry needs a poster child or some type of PR image. Many don't even know we exist and what we do. They only know that whoever gives them their glasses should be educated.

I'm trying now to get people to write to their representatives on all levels of government. Primarily state. Aside from getting involved in our state and national orgs, what can we do?

Occupation
    The association of british dispensing opticians have helped students all over the world to become qualified through their distance learning programme ABDO qualification is recognised worldwide of being a high standard, indeed in canada the ABDO qualification allows you to refract.

you can check it out at

www.abdo.org.uk:cheers:
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    The association of british dispensing opticians have helped students all over the world to become qualified through their distance learning programme ABDO qualification is recognised worldwide of being a high standard, indeed in canada the ABDO qualification allows you to refract.

you can check it out at

www.abdo.org.uk:cheers:
    Really? Thanks!!:cheers: I will check that out!

Occupation
    I just checked out the courses! They are just what I was looking for!!! That is so awsome. I have checked out the site before and have purchased books books from the ABDO but it never occured to me that they have DL classes. I am signing up!!:D

Occupation

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    I just checked out the courses! They are just what I was looking for!!! That is so awsome. I have checked out the site before and have purchased books books from the ABDO but it never occured to me that they have DL classes. I am signing up!!:D
    Go for it Donn, they are tough courses,lots of skull sweat, but very rewarding.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I just looked at ABDO and I'm impressed. I'll finish my MS Nursing next spring and may consider taking a few courses.

Occupation
    I just recieved an email from the ABDO and I can take their three year course. And boy it looks like a heck program. I AM SO EXCITED!!! Finally a school that offers courses that I can take and its one of the THE BEST!! IKON I could plant a big juicy kiss right on your cheek. I never thought about the ABDO thank you for sugesting it!!!:D

Occupation
    I just recieved an email from the ABDO and I can take their three year course. And boy it looks like a heck program. I AM SO EXCITED!!! Finally a school that offers courses that I can take and its one of the THE BEST!! IKON I could plant a big juicy kiss right on your cheek. I never thought about the ABDO thank you for sugesting it!!!:D
    A large beer will be fine Donn, i am so pleased you are taking the abdo course ,i did try to send you a PM but your file is full and you need to clear some down.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    A large beer will be fine Donn, i am so pleased you are taking the abdo course ,i did try to send you a PM but your file is full and you need to clear some down.
    What can I say...I'm popular!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What can I say...I'm popular!:hammer:

Good luck on those courses. If I can help, let me know.

Thread Information