Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Optician's Salary/Hourly Wages?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy View Post
    i WOULD LEAVE THEM!!! They are just plain STUPID!!!

gREED DOES A LOT OF BAD THINGS TO A PERSON!!

Only when they realize that their business is going down hill will they realize what you did for them.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by beertv View Post
    While I agree in part to your comments about MD's and OD's not wanting to pay for the level of skills that most Opticians bring to the table. I don't think that it is fair to make such wide strokes that makes it out like almost all OD's and MD's are looking to screw the Opticians over. Many don't appreciate just how much it takes to be a good Optician today. Nor do they appreciate just how much profit those Opticians bring to the bottom line, not to mention that they are directly responsible for making sure those patients have a positive feeling about coming to the practice. BUT, there are a lot of OD's and MD's that do pay well, and don't want to see employees coming and going, it is a major pain to bring in new people. I have worked for some that were bad, just plain greedy bad. I have also worked for some that really care about the patients, and care about the employees, and pay a very fair wage.

If any Optician is not happy with the pay they make, quit, find another job that pays what they want. If they can't find the pay they want then get the skills to do another job in another field that will pay well. I know of a number of people that have changed jobs late in life, and they are very glad they did. I know of one man that at the age of 54 went back to college and got his CPA degree..and he is making more money now than he had ever dreamed of. An Optician friend of mine, who also had his own private Optical store for some 16 years, just closed it down. He moved to Florida and now designs and builds boats of some kind.

It can be done, so if those of you are not happy with the pay, just stop complaining about how greedy everyone is. The world is full of greedy people, get use to it. If you don't like your life or your job, think it is all so unfair, well too bad, do some thing about it. Make a change in your life that will make you happy.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Gloria63
    I am Licensed in Ohio and have been doing this for 20 years but only make 11.25 in a private OD office
    This is getting redundant! As I have said many times OD's and MD's don't pay, the above is living proof! If there is an OD or MD that visits this board and will refute what I have said I would be more than happy to have a conversation with them. drk need not apply I know you do the right thing and pay your people a decent wage!:hammer: [/quote]
    Delete..
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    If you are willing to work for a sub-standard wage, then that is all (you think)you are worth. If it wasn't a high enough wage, you would have moved on. If (and I don't totaly agree) ODs and MDs don't pay enough, where do they find all these folks that are willing to work for them ?
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Chip;
    J.Paul Getty once said something I have never forgotten."Most people are too busy working to get rich". He also said " If you can count your money, you are not wealthy". We are made to believe that we have to be open 24/7 to get it all. I never wanted it all, just enough. I have never seen anybody as competition, I don't compete, I just do business my way. I have always tried to appeal to the customer and give them my best. This leads to a lot of word of mouth business, 8 out of 10. It also leads to customer loyalty, not much left these days. Also I think it is a mistake to do in house edging, quit it in 1976. If you can sell 1 or 2 more pairs of glasses just by taking the time you will net much more than if you spend the same time "edging". I have been blessed with much more then I ever needed. I have found that people will come to you when you are there. I honestly do as much in 3.5 days as I did in 5 days.Only been in this shop 7 years. Opened it to have something to do. Been in it over 45 years and still LOVE IT!
    Bill West: TBDOA - IWFMO - NPOBSH
    LDO,VA - LDO,NC - Former ABO - NCLE
    Past President North Carolina Opticians Assoc. 83/84
    QUOTE=chip anderson]Damn:

I went independent and I still have to work 80 to 100 hours a week. Wish I knew what Mr. West was doing right.
    Chip
    [/quote]
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician View Post
    It is not just the private practice ODs and MDs who play that game. In reality keeping constant turnover of personnel is not good for a practice. Constantly training newbies is not a good thing....more mistakes occur resulting in more redos, more redos mean more delays leading to unhappy customers/patients. Training new personnel also may lead to billing hassles as well slowing down the process and having more redos/rebills due to errors

Chain stores are also guilty of this They want new people to learn how to do their job the company way. They offer an earn as you learn program inccreasing pay as you learn new lab skills. After the 3 step process you are maxxed out This is not hearsay I experienced it with LENSSHAFTERS
    Tuition remission was the straw that broke the camels back for them. They offered a tuition remission program for those ing an optical AAS program 25%if you got a C 50% if you got a B and 75% if you got an A in ophthalmic courses. Three days after I submitted 18 credits of A grade course work I was canned

Ed
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I don't really think license has anything to do with it. Depends on what an optician is worth and how "Optician" is defined. I would say one is worth about $500.00 a week and if the store is making a profit 10% of gross.

Some worth a lot more and some not worth near that much.

Chip
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylilly View Post
    I'm reading through these posts on wage and education and wondering - what keeps folks in the optical industry - besides the sky high wages and fab perks.....(HA-HA)...
    I worked for 27 years in the optical industry for an (no names) optical 'chain'. From the lab, to business office, to retail dispenser, to store manager. Along the way I became ABO certified (non company sponsered and not state required), and completed a 4-yr. degree in General Studies with Business as the major. Long story short, I burned out in the field and last May quit my job. Now, the company I used to work for has hired me as a consultant to teach folks in the company optics. And folish me (I really do love optics - and more than that the patients I can help) I took the position for not enough money! Aren't all consultants supposed to get moochos buckaroonoos? But I digress. What keeps you from burning out? Did I miss the mark by not finding a good private doc to work with?
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Wow.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-21-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Delete.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

rantings and ravings

Andro, it appears that you have lost everyone on this thread, please count the number of listings you have in a row on it, lol

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I make 27 an hour with benefits. NJ Licensed. This is about average, but for the area I work in, it's good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, it has to do with the area too. Keep in mind that most of NJ is a suburb of NYC :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have to disagree with you a little bit. Doctors (ODs and OMDs)will pony up if you can show that you can generate more cash than if you weren't there. Occasionally you will meet people who are lost in the '70s. Some of the old-timers are harder to convince. Everyone wants to make money doing what they love and ODs and OMDs are no exception. A good optician will increase revenues, decrease costs, manage inventory, keep patients happy, decrease chair time of already seen patients. NJ is stricter than ANSI too. So qualified people are a necessity.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I'm assuming you call yourself "Happylady" for reasons other than making $XX per hour. I don't make much more than you do, and I am not happy about that.
    That is a very old post. I do make more then that now.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

payscale

Makes you think.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just about cried reading old posts here! But... I took a pay cut and ran away from a big scary chain. I feel like I really help people and work for a great couple of Docs. Of course, I'd like more money (I'm making the average for 2004) but I do consider my working enviroment too. Maybe after I get over that chain, I'll be more inclined to fuss for $$$$ LOL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard Looking-at-You!

There are a few fellow Pennsylvanian Optical folks on here! It is great to see another!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I started at a company for 7.25 an hour with 2 weeks vacation and health benefits. Now (8years later) am working for a different company for 22.00/hr with no benifits or vacation however make more than that due to comission

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    350gt, Nice wages, I'm in Northern TX ....no benefits, no spiffs or commision, do get 2 weeks vacation, been here 4 yrs, and have CPOA....hhhmmm maybe I need to consider moving.....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmrsme View Post
    350gt, Nice wages, I'm in Northern TX ....no benefits, no spiffs or commision, do get 2 weeks vacation, been here 4 yrs, and have CPOA....hhhmmm maybe I need to consider moving.....
    Well I kinda fell into the job I am at acctually. Got to talking with a friend of mine who owned a store and was complaining about two individuals who weren't "cutting it to his expectations" then we got to discussing it a little more and the deal was if I can do as much work as the two of them combined then he would pay me what the two of them combined were making. Few months later he let the other two go. I mean I kinda feel bad about it but at the same time gotta look out for number one

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reading these posts gave me the righteous anger and boost I needed. I want to thank you ALL for making me fight for a $5 /hr increase to $27 /hr. It was long overdue, from someone whose mantra is "we're not giving raises".I reminded him that was his stock answer for the past 15 yrs. I wrote it all in a 2 page letter, reminding him of my value to the practice by enumerating all I do, which in turn spares him from same, freeing him to do 15-20 cat. sx / wk. Reminded him if he did not have the staff, he wouldn't have the practice. Put in a plug for underpaid techs & front office staff. Ended by reminding him of increased cost of living, so if not out of appreciation for my extraordinary talents, then at least to keep my roof over my underfed head. He actually told me I was appreciated & raise approved. Might bronze that letter!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @cleyes...well done and congrats!

Thread Information